Hello all,

I was recently given a Blackberry Playbook as a gift and so far I am enjoying it, but I'm completely new to the world of tablets and smartphones having never owned either until now (though I am reasonably good with computers).

My first (and primary) problem is this -- knowing nothing about Apps or which ones are good/available, I used Google on my desktop to find out. I am immediately informed that the PB has just received an amazing OS update that lets me get Android apps now too -- yay! ...Only I can't figure out how. I read several lists about "Top Ten Android Apps downloaded for Blackberry" and whatnot, but when I use AppWorld on my Blackberry to look for them I get nothing.

What am I missing? Everything I read on Google seemed to imply that they'd be available via AppWorld. I don't want to miss out on possible Android apps, but for the life of me I can't figure out where to find them to get them (though I read on this site that the Android App itself that allows them to work is hidden, and that's fine).

Secondly I can't seem to upgrade half of the apps that came with my PB. I figured I might as well update the free stuff, but things like Slacker Radio (which I probably won't use) refuse to upgrade (I am connected to the internet with a strong signal and am able to browse). I just get a little green circle that goes round and round without upgrading -- this has happened at least half a dozen times now, and not only with this program.

So I don't know what's going on there either.

I have yet to buy any apps as I am considering returning the gift, but I really want to keep it -- a cursory inspection implies that this is the "best" tablet available for my needs in my price range, but so far it's been somewhat frustrating.

Those are the two main things that have bothered me so far, but as I've only had it for about 2 days now I'm sure more will crop up.

Another minor quibble is that when I go to my "About" screen under Settings it says I have 91 Applications installed -- but I haven't got nearly that many buttons or whatever. I guess it's all background stuff? Any way for me to see what they are? Or to clear my "uninstalled" page in AppWorld of all the free stuff I didn't like that's cluttering it up?

Thanks much for any help offered.
    Last edited by CheddarTrek; 03-17-12 at 06:28 PM.
    03-17-12 06:20 PM
    First, welcome to Playbook! If you give it a chance, you'll find it to be an awesome, versatile tablet. It's getting better every day.

In answer to your first question, Android apps are out there in App World, but they are not specifically identified as such. The Playbook is designed to integrate the Android apps seamlessly into. The system so you don't see any difference from native apps. If there is a particular app you are searching for, try searching App World by the app name. It's possible that it is not there yet, as the Android apps have to be ported over to Blackberry first and approved by RIM before being available in App World. That being said, there are a number of Android apps available through various sources that can be sideloaded yourself to Playbook (Kindle, etc.).

The "91 apps" are most likely pre-installed and system apps. Some you can see, others not.

As far as upgrading apps, I only upgrade mine when I receive a notification that an upgrade is available. Some apps upgrade fairly regularly, other not so much. I don't remember seeing an upgrade to Slacker Radio, since you mentioned it.

Again, give the Playbook a little time so you can get to know it. I would also suggest you read the Stickie for Tips and Tricks on OS2 that's posted at the top of the forum. That, more than anything, will help you see how treat this tablet is.

Enjoy the beauty that is Playbook!!
    03-17-12 06:51 PM
    In answer to your first question, Android apps are out there in App World, but they are not specifically identified as such. The Playbook is designed to integrate the Android apps seamlessly into. The system so you don't see any difference from native apps. If there is a particular app you are searching for, try searching App World by the app name.
    See, this was my understanding of how it was supposed to work.

Here is just one of the sites I found via google listing the most popular Android apps for the Playbook.

I first tried to type in "Google Maps" into the AppWorld in my Playbook -- but nothing called Google Maps came up. There was a vaguely similar program that wasn't free -- but that's not what I was looking for.

Next I just typed Kindle into the search bar in AppWorld, since apparently that's available now. Again I got nothing resembling Kindle to come up in the search.

So I concluded that I was missing something, since I couldn't find what was apparently two of the more popular Android apps.

As far as upgrading apps, I only upgrade mine when I receive a notification that an upgrade is available.
    I'm only trying to upgrade the ones that I have notifications of upgrades on -- the issue doesn't seem to be that an upgrade isn't available, just that it won't go.

Again, give the Playbook a little time so you can get to know it. I would also suggest you read the Stickie for Tips and Tricks on OS2 that's posted at the top of the forum. That, more than anything, will help you see how treat this tablet is.
    Thanks! I glanced through that earlier, and have it bookmarked for later, but that assumes I don't get too frustrated with this stuff first! It does look like a fantastic tablet though, especially with how much the price has dropped lately.

Thanks for your response! Though I am still unclear on why I can't find these apps that should supposedly be there.
    03-17-12 06:59 PM
    Some folks who have had issues with appworld and the SPINNING GREEN CIRCLE have deleted and then re-added their wifi connection.

I guess rim believes you should always have access to apps you have installed even if you UNinstalled them. At the moment, there is no way to clear the list of UNinstalled apps.

Check the app subforum here and in that, an Adroid sub-sub-forum where non-appworld Android apps like Kindle and Words with Friends and Shazam and others are mentioned. Although you might want to hold off and get use to the pb before sideloading apps. Now that I saw your 2nd message, Kindle and Google are NOT in appworld. Those are separately found on the goodereader site. As BAR files. There are some tutorials on how to get the tools necessary to sideload - it is not hard but not done the usual way, either.
    Last edited by F2; 03-17-12 at 07:05 PM.
    03-17-12 07:02 PM
    Thanks for your response! Though I am still unclear on why I can't find these apps that should supposedly be there.
    Just to properly reset your expectations, it is unrealistic to think that every app available in the Android Market is also available in App World. RIM has never advertised that this is the case.

An Android app will only be available in App World if the author has decided to convert his app to the format required to run on the PlayBook. He must then submit his converted app through the normal review process for acceptance into App World. Not all Android apps can be converted and not every author will choose to submit a PlayBook version of his app.

The bottom line is that the best way to find out if your favourite Android App is supported is to search App World for the title (not Google). If you are a more advanced user you might consider sideloading Android apps. I understand that this is a bit hit and miss and you will get much better information in the CB subforum dedicated to this topic.
    03-17-12 07:17 PM
    Hello. One way to find the android apps in App World is to search for android. There really aren't alot of useful apps....yet. I've been afraid to side load any android apps 'cuz people report some trouble afterwards. Yeah, there was a recent upgrade for Slacker Radio. Mine installed OK. Maybe a restart of your system would help.
    03-17-12 07:38 PM
    Just to properly reset your expectations, it is unrealistic to think that every app available in the Android Market is also available in App World. RIM has never advertised that this is the case.
    Yeah, I didn't think they were. I was basing my comments solely on articles about "Popular Android Apps for the Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0" -- I took articles like that to mean that they were talking about apps available through AppWorld. I guess the dozens of articles out there are referring to sideloading? That would explain it, though I wish they had said so in the first place. Can you confirm that? Thanks!

The bottom line is that the best way to find out if your favourite Android App is supported is to search App World for the title....
    Heh, haven't got a favorite app. Never used an android device in my life. ^^

Thanks to everyone posting! Got some good info -- and learned about sideloading, though I don't intend to jump through those hoops. Apps are secondary to the functions I want the tablet for, I just want to be sure I know how to access them.

Much appreciated all.
    03-17-12 08:48 PM
    Apps are secondary to the functions I want the tablet for, I just want to be sure I know how to access them.

Much appreciated all.
    PlayBook's App World is growing daily and I think you find some interesting stuff there. Welcome to PlayBook - here is a link to the user guide for OS2:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.0-US.pdf
    03-17-12 08:57 PM
    Nice link

Yeah -- it looks like this is the best tablet for my use under the $250 mark. I mostly want to browse the internet, keep up with e-mail, and be able to view/alter documents of various kinds. Playbook appears to blow others out of the water in those areas -- I had no idea.

Great site guys, learning a lot about my new toy.
    03-17-12 09:13 PM
    Just a heads up, I see you mentioned KINDLE &GOOGLE MAPS. They are not officially supported and not in Appworld, you will need to side load them.
    03-17-12 09:19 PM
    Yeah -- seems like that was the issue. I was reading articles going on and on about the most popular Playbook apps and assumed they were available in AppWorld when the articles were apparently talking about sideloading.

I can wait -- I have a Nook for eReading and if I need directions I can just go to Mapquest, etc. via the browser.

Thanks again ^^
    03-17-12 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD