Top rated finance app in the webOS App Catalog and a winner of Palm's Hot Apps contest, Top Stocks now comes to BlackBerry Playbook!

Featured App in the BlackBerry App World July 19 - July 26 2012

Features:

- Real-time stock quotes for US, UK and most Asian exchanges
    - Major world indices overview
    - Company news from various sources (CBS, MarketWatch, Reuters, Forbes, Bloomberg, WSJ, ...)
    - Business and financial news from Reuters and Yahoo! Finance
    - Extended-hours quotes
    - Configurable quote update interval
    - Full charts and intraday mini-charts in the watchlist
    - Symbol lookup
    - Automatic watchlist sorting by a given criteria

FREE 3-day trial available!

NEW & FREE!

We had a wonderful community at webOSNation.com, and I hope will have here at Crackberry too

NEW: Top Stocks has also been ported to Android: link

Screenshots:

Last edited by vitalyx; 07-24-12 at 03:33 AM.
    04-19-12 11:33 AM
    I currently use Qfolio but this appears to do a lot more.
    04-19-12 11:35 AM
    Just a couple questions:

Is it a native Playbook app?

How well does it work with Canadian stocks with suffixes, such BBD.B?
    04-19-12 11:54 AM
    Really interested in this.

But please add the Toronto Stock Exchange (The Stock Market, Canadian Stock Exchange | TMX Group) to the list also.

Edit:
    I see OSPTX on the third screenshot so I have hope...
    04-19-12 12:02 PM
    @robsteve

Works just fine:

TSE quotes are 15min delayed though, while Canadian National Stock Exchange quotes are RT.

Top Stocks is a WebWorks application which is one of the native app choices for Playbook development, along with Flash/Air. Playbook doesn't really have a native UI framework, if I'm not mistaken. This will only come with Blackberry OS 10.
    Last edited by vitalyx; 04-19-12 at 02:38 PM.
    04-19-12 12:06 PM
    Playbook doesn't really have a native framework, if I'm not mistaken. This will only come with Blackberry OS 10.
    https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/

Regarding Cascades we should wait for BB World and see whether the UI framework will be only available for BB OS 10 or for PlayBook OS 2.x too.
    Last edited by Akuji_ism; 04-19-12 at 12:19 PM.
    vitalyx likes this.
    04-19-12 12:15 PM
    @robsteve
    Top Stocks is a WebWorks application which is one of the native app choices for Playbook development, along with Flash/Air. Playbook doesn't really have a native framework, if I'm not mistaken. This will only come with Blackberry OS 10.
    At this current moment, the native language for the PlayBook is C++.
    The UI part of it is Cascades, which hasn't been released yet.
    04-19-12 02:22 PM
    @r0v3rT3N, Akuji_ism Thanks. I meant to say native "UI framework". I am aware that there is a native SDK.
    In any case, Top Stocks was developed specifically for the Playbook.
    peter9477 and sf49ers like this.
    04-19-12 02:36 PM
    Looks sweet, looking forward to try it out.
    04-19-12 03:32 PM
    I don't know how accurate this video is as it was released on Feb 2010 but here is a look at the webOS app

Top Stocks Review | $1 to $5, Miscellaneous, Reviews, Video, Video Reviews |webOSroundup
    04-19-12 03:51 PM
    Great to see more good webOS apps coming to the PlayBook!
    04-19-12 11:11 PM
    AppWorld link pleae, I can't find it.

You guys did release it worldwide right? "All devices"/all carriers?
    04-19-12 11:30 PM
    AppWorld link pleae, I can't find it.

You guys did release it worldwide right? "All devices"/all carriers?
    According to OP it is currently in submission. Thread will be updated when it's approved.
    diegonei likes this.
    04-20-12 12:40 AM
    @robsteve

TSE quotes are 15min delayed though, while Canadian National Stock Exchange quotes are RT.

Top Stocks is a WebWorks application which is one of the native app choices for Playbook development, along with Flash/Air. Playbook doesn't really have a native UI framework, if I'm not mistaken. This will only come with Blackberry OS 10.
    Thanks for the quick reply. One quick request. Is there any chance you could password protect the program from being opened without a password, such as when I let my children use the PlayBook?
    04-20-12 07:57 AM
    @robsteve Well, I could. But there are not many ways to mess up. The only thing I can think of is removing stocks from the watchlist (hard to do accidentally). And portfolios will be added with future updates, so it's not like someone could see your transactions.
    Last edited by vitalyx; 04-20-12 at 01:37 PM.
    GDubbin likes this.
    04-20-12 01:27 PM
    App was awesome on touchpad. I hope that PlayBook version will be the same.

And only one question, is it complete rewrite from enyo to bb webworks or modified enyo version that runs on pb ?
    04-21-12 12:12 PM
    App was awesome on touchpad. I hope that PlayBook version will be the same.

And only one question, is it complete rewrite from enyo to bb webworks or modified enyo version that runs on pb ?
    Thanks

It's almost a complete rewrite with only the core module that is responsible for fetching quotes remaining largely the same. Although the UI bears strong resemblance to webOS widgets, it's all custom made. With all dependencies on Mojo removed, Top Stocks should in theory work on iPad and Android tablets with all features and UI being the same. But I haven't looked at that yet. People have long asked to port Top Stocks to Android, but its browser has been lacking in features and performance. Playbook really shines in this area.
    04-21-12 12:31 PM
    I am looking forward to this.

Cheers, Chris
    04-21-12 12:38 PM
    Looks good. When it comes I'm getting this.
    04-21-12 04:50 PM
    it's still pending approval???
    04-21-12 07:34 PM
    Click to view quoted image

Top rated finance app in the webOS App Catalog and a winner of Palm's Hot Apps contest, Top Stocks now comes to BlackBerry Playbook!
    (currently in submission process)

Features:

- Real-time stock quotes for US, UK and most Asian exchanges
    - Business and financial news from Reuters and Yahoo! Finance
    - Extended-hours quotes
    - Configurable quote update interval
    - Full charts and intraday mini-charts in the watchlist
    - Symbol lookup
    - Automatic watchlist sorting by a given criteria

And more features coming with future updates!

We had a wonderful community at webOSNation.com, and I hope will have here at Crackberry too

I will update this thread as soon as Top Stocks gets released to the App World.

Meanwhile, some screenshots:

Finally there are some professional decent financial apps come to app world. Thanks.
    04-21-12 08:25 PM
    Can't wait.
    04-21-12 08:36 PM
    Guys, I'm still waiting for vendor registration approval. Submitted right before weekend, so probably it will take a bit longer because of that. Believe me, I'm very impatient too

Till then, a couple more screenshots for you that show after hours quotes and manual updates enabled.

To change the update interval you simply tap the "Manual/Auto Updates" label and select interval from the list. There simply was no space at the bottom of the watchlist for one more button, but I hope this clickable label solution will be intuitive enough.

04-22-12 06:11 AM
    Will it be free/ad supported or paid only?
    04-22-12 07:14 AM
    @johnsmith007 It will be a paid app, but I will probably make a light version or incorporate a trial into the existing app later.
    04-22-12 07:33 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD