Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By koxmoz
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Best painting/drawing app?

I know there's already questions about this but not since that new ipad commercial came.out. You you know that one where the guy says something like "when a screen looks this good..." and then it shows a person painting an amazing nature scene. She is drawing blades of grass... Any idea what that is called and if it or something like it is available for the PB?
    CrackBerry Abuser

you can try paintbook its one of the better drawing apps on the playbook and its free.
    BlackBerry 10 App reviews and News @ blackberry apps
    follow me on twitter: @bb10apps
    CrackBerry User

Another question: what do you think a good drawing app should have as features?

I like paintbook, but I'm not totally convinced, because I miss something like layering very badly.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I think a good one should have what that one in the commercial had...is it possible for an app to detect how much of your finger is touching the screen so you could make sort of a "feathered" effect? I mean if you barley have any of your finger touching then it would be a smaller, skinnier line?
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,106 Global Posts

Don't be fooled by that commercial of the 'plein-air' painter on the iPad3

They most likely added those few brush strokes - a la Kincade - after a digital artist made it on a desktop computer...i.e copied photograph
    Last edited by anthogag; 04-06-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,415 Global Posts

you are talking about a pressure sensitive screen. No tablet can do this. Ten One company was able to make a stylus that will do what you want.

Declassified: Blue Tiger

They opensourced the SDK so any developer can build it into their program.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,889 Global Posts

I would also like to see a good sketching program come to the PlayBook. Hopefully, some day...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    Check out my app: CChecker
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Asymmetry Paint is coming to the PlayBook
    - currently waiting for approval from Blackberry

Paint and draw on your tablet and phone.
    Create digital paintings with your fingers or a stylus.

Simple and intuitive interface, easily change color, brush or paint mode.
    Choose from many different brushes, adjust opacity and brush size.
    Includes tools such as mirror painting, eraser, color pick and undo.
    Pinch to zoom and move the image on the screen.
    Open, edit and save to the device gallery including camera pictures.

For a preview, take a look at the android version:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...etry.paintlite

Will update this post when the app is in AppWorld
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

Can Assymetry Paint import and export pdf format.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default App

Quote Originally Posted by Yoox_II View Post
    I know there's already questions about this but not since that new ipad commercial came.out. You you know that one where the guy says something like "when a screen looks this good..." and then it shows a person painting an amazing nature scene. She is drawing blades of grass... Any idea what that is called and if it or something like it is available for the PB?
    In my opinion Touch Painter is one of the top drawing app for Playbook. There is a lite version and a paid version. Try it out. With the pen, brush, opacity settings, color selection, line, box, oval as well as camera/photo integration, great zoom. Not perfect but in the running on the PB platform.

Sketcher Pro - side load android or maybe find it on one of the "side load app store sites" This feels more like an artists canvas and has some very cool custom brushes.
    CrackBerry User

I'm also interested in buying a good paint and drawing app, but the apps I see in App World doesn't convince me.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Asymmetry Paint is in the Blackberry App World for PlayBook - just got approved today.

It is more geared towards artistic sketches / paintings. Pdf or vector drawings are not supported.
    CrackBerry Newbie

sumo works pretty well on playbook Welcome to Sumo.fm
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,806 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diffart View Post
    I checked this out and even though I don't have a PlayBook, I am wondering if this app will be available for the Z10. Looks like something I would use for my future phone since we can't have Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator on it.
    I wait for the future...to COME back to BlackBerry!
    CrackBerry Addict

Default Re: Best painting/drawing app?

Quote Originally Posted by diffart View Post
    Sumo is one of many wrappers around pixlr (which you can freely use online in any browser), but it's the only one that works offline (without internet connection). It's an excellent "photoshop-like" although some of the features, given its origin, will require extreme pointing precision (which you can definitely solve with e. g. an Adonit stylus); in some rare case you won't access a feature anyhow (e. g. using the stamp tool requires you control-click on the original area, go figure...).
    The above may look negative: it's not; I'm definitely a happy buyer, for instance Sumo is just the only way on a PB to use an intensity curves tool to compensate a bad lighting...

A bit farther from photo processing and closer to painting, you have PaintBook. While really a paint program to begin with, it indeed allows you to load any picture or photo, handles layers, so you can get the photo on a background layer and then add things properly over it in a reversible way, and you can even play effects in these layers. This app looks extremely ambitious, with really many tools, multiple undos etc. and native with this. It's very recent (read: v1 crashed regularly with large images) but its dev is very reactive and I do have great expectations for it.

[edit] to get back to an earlier question in this thread, the Adonit styluses also have a pressure-sensitive model, with open interfaces and all, but like for the other make, no app on Playbook is using it. There are draw apps on the PB that'll offer variying-thickness strokes, but these are only related to the stroke length or speed at best...
    Last edited by Herve5; 02-20-2013 at 05:51 AM.
    CrackBerry User

I tink it could be grate have something like sketchbook of android... that app its amazing·!·!·
    Sansu94 likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Agreed, sumo paint is awesome, a desktop app on your playbook and it works beatifully with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and your playbook connected to a tv via hdmi. And it works offline!!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

I think wacom partnered with Samsung for their note2 screen. Not sure if that is the same as what you're talking about, but I hope in time, they are capable of such tech.
    CrackBerry User

Infinite painter from android
    CrackBerry Newbie

Is there something like Zen Brush (iOS, Android, Kindle) available for BB10?