Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SifJar
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default best media player?

hi guys is there a decent media player for the playbook? or should i just convert everything to mp4 prior to playing? for some reason thought the playbook played everything but apparantly not
    CrackBerry Master

KalemSoft Media Player is the best (and indeed, only really decent) media player for the PB, although it is a tad on the expensive side for my liking. However, if you watch a lot of video content, it should be well worth it, as it can play pretty much anything you throw at it.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    Thanked by 2:
    cisop (03-16-2013),  clnmckec (03-15-2013) 
    clnmckec likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I've tried them all and KalemSoft is far and away the best there is. Worth every nickel.

I've asked this in the Kalem thread but so far have not gotten a reply. I wonder if anyone of you have figured this out:

This may not be Kalemsoft specific but I decided to watch using hdmi while trying to control the pb using both or either of my 9930 or the official bt keyboard.

I can control the individual playback, pause, etc. What I canNOT do is I canNOT scroll down to see additional titles below the rows that are showing. In other words if the Left Side shows 8 video titles (the pb is downstairs) but there are additional titles lower down since I might have 20 or 30 videos in that folder, is there a way to scroll the Title List (up or down) using either the 9930 or the bt keyboard?

Thanks in advance
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I've asked this in the Kalem thread but so far have not gotten a reply. I wonder if anyone of you have figured this out:

This may not be Kalemsoft specific but I decided to watch using hdmi while trying to control the pb using both or either of my 9930 or the official bt keyboard.

I can control the individual playback, pause, etc. What I canNOT do is I canNOT scroll down to see additional titles below the rows that are showing. In other words if the Left Side shows 8 video titles (the pb is downstairs) but there are additional titles lower down since I might have 20 or 30 videos in that folder, is there a way to scroll the Title List (up or down) using either the 9930 or the bt keyboard?

Thanks in advance
    hey man I tried answering you on kalemsoft thread but with so many post to it you probably missed it. there is no way to scroll with the bt keyboard only way I've found to view others is change the sort order or search for it bottom left has that option. but still need a fix

on topic: I also agree with the rest kalemsoft is the best hands down
    Thanked by:
    F2 (03-15-2013) 

Quote Originally Posted by osbook View Post
    hey man I tried answering you on kalemsoft thread but with so many post to it you probably missed it. there is no way to scroll with the bt keyboard only way I've found to view others is change the sort order or search for it bottom left has that option. but still need a fix

on topic: I also agree with the rest kalemsoft is the best hands down
    I guess the files column needs a scroll bar that can be pulled down/upward.

I think I may ask this in the general pb forum and see if anyone has found a way with the bbphone, kb or even a 3rd party mouse.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Does Kalemsoft support video playback speed adjustment?1X +?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts

is there any free media player?I have a few videos whose speed is too fast on the native player.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    is there any free media player?I have a few videos whose speed is too fast on the native player.
    Nope. The only third party video player worth mentioning (IMO) is KalemSoft, which costs money.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Nope. The only third party video player worth mentioning (IMO) is KalemSoft, which costs money.
    I agree. I have it both for my Playbook and my Android TV Box, though the Android version is not as nice as the Playbook one.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

At a pinch you can try sideloading an android one - mvideoplayer works reasonably well, but they aren't as reliable
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts

Thanks. Where can I get mvideo player? As long as it doesn't rely on the Blackberry player it might work.

I used something else QM Player or something like that? It worked but the trial expired and it wanted a fee, not worth it to me for the few videos not working right with the stock player.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Thanks. Where can I get mvideo player? As long as it doesn't rely on the Blackberry player it might work.
    It's an android sideload - if you go to PlayBook .apk to .bar converter and search for 'mvideoplayer' (no spaces) it should come up there, if it doesn't I'll upload my Bar file when I get home. It's a little slow to get going, but otherwise seems fine
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts

the mvideo player on that site does not fix the speed problem, thanks. Maybe yours is a different version? Whatever QM Video app did was right to fix the problem but they are charging, not worth it for the few videos in which I have a problem.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    493 Global Posts
    PIN
    502A43C3

Your best bet is still the Kalemsoft Media Player. No hassle of converting and sideloading and you can also easily stream videos to your Playbook from your PC as well. The little server program is free for the PC end.