I am a fairly new owner of a telescope and am looking for an app that I can hold up that will show me where to look for planets, etc? I downloaded this one, BlackBerry World - Astronomy, but the GPS doesn't seem to work. When I point north, it says I'm pointing west. Could the BB have an issue? I tried to look in the menus for GPS settings, but I couldn't find anything.
    02-08-13 02:58 PM
    Whatsup, and the programmer is in tbe forums
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-08-13 03:15 PM
    Probably "What's Up", in app world.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    02-08-13 03:18 PM
    That's what I'm looking for, thanks! Is there any GPS set up necessary with the Playbook or is it set to go out of the box?
    02-08-13 03:46 PM
    Actually I just read the specs on the app and there's a calibration feature on the app. That's what the app I bought is missing. Thanks!
    no expert likes this.
    02-08-13 03:47 PM
    Actually I just read the specs on the app and there's a calibration feature on the app. That's what the app I bought is missing. Thanks!
    PlayBook's magnetometer, while it is a lot better than before, can be finicky. It's a system service, so if it's pointing in the wrong direction in one app, it's not going to be any better in another. What's up contains quite of bit of help on getting best use from the compass so I hope you take the time to swipe down from the top bezel to read all about point and view. Once you manage to get the sensor calibrated, there are three modes represented by the three buttons. Most people enjoy just panning around under compass control, but my personal favourite is the mode that actually leads you to the object you are looking for in the sky.
    02-10-13 08:18 AM
    I just purchased What'sUp yesterday. Very cool app, I'd been looking for something like this and many thanks to those who posted about it.
    02-11-13 11:52 AM
    Stellarium was good but then it broke and they never fixed... i want my money back. WhatsUp is good too!
    02-11-13 05:41 PM
    Have that app on my Play book too. The magnet does drift and rarely points correctly. If you have a Z10 or plan to upgrade get the excellent Star Tracker app, which is similar to the PlayBook app, but on the Z10 the magnet works correctly all the time, so the stars on the screen match the stars in the sky exactly. Great piece of software. Now, we just need the weather in the UK to clear up so we can do some actual astronomy! She was! Hehe!

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-11-13 05:56 PM