First watch this video:

Looks like someone make an app that connects BBM service to it.

He promised a tutorial soon in this link
    q649 likes this.
    10-16-12 10:01 AM
    This is the version from the BB10 Dev Alpha B OS. It's official and will probably come with BB10.
    10-16-12 10:25 AM
    I need this on my PlayBook 's like quick fast. If I had the time to tinker, id figure it out. Looks like I'll have to wait for now
    10-16-12 11:12 AM
    I need this on my PlayBook 's like quick fast. If I had the time to tinker, id figure it out. Looks like I'll have to wait for now
    The only way to do it is install the 10.0.9 beta core OS, which is really buggy on the PB and makes loads of other stuff not work, so it's really not worth it. It's possible with root you could fake the version you have and try to get it working with an earlier OS, but that'd require you to still be rooted and would probably also be much more hassle than it's worth. In other words, I'd say just wait till BB10 comes to PB. Even if BBM isn't included, the phone version should be sideload-able. (The reason the current BAR can't be sideloaded is that the version of the PB OS is too low).
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-16-12 at 04:40 PM.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-16-12 02:11 PM
    The website says an E.T.A of October 19th, which is 3 days from now...
    10-16-12 02:25 PM
    We want root (just saying )
    10-16-12 03:18 PM
    The website says an E.T.A of October 19th, which is 3 days from now...
    Pretty sure he is just going to post a tutorial on loading up the 10.0.9 beta OS from the Dev Alpha onto the PB, which is already known how to do (just use cfp to install the core OS from the update, then sideload any BARs you want e.g. BBM). This is in keeping with his statement that the process causes problems in other apps; because it's a beta OS meant for another device, it's a bit buggy on the PB and most apps don't work or don't work correctly.

EDIT: Or you could use "GreenBerry", which I have just seen on the website linked in the first post. From the looks of the screenshot, I'm gonna guess it's based on DingleBerry, but it's Mac only by the looks of things so I can't try it. What it does is install BB10 (i.e. one of the beta versions for the Dev Alpha, I'm assuming the latest, 10.0.9 or something like that).

Maybe you could use DingleBerry to install 10.0.9, I'm not sure.
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-16-12 at 04:40 PM.
    10-16-12 04:28 PM
    I've heard it come straight from the horses mouth that PlayBook WILL get BBM so I'm not worried about it not being there when it gets BlackBerry10. Who knows it could show up even before BlackBerry10. BBM on PlayBook running dev alpha OS-img_00000139.jpg
    borceg likes this.
    10-16-12 05:17 PM
    Which PlayBooks will get it though. The wifi version or the LTE version. It would seems Rim would have to make some money off of this.
    10-16-12 05:22 PM
    I think they would have said something about it only coming to the 4G Playbook if that was the case. They don't want to tick people off. They want to rebuild the trust and confidence of people.
    10-16-12 07:27 PM
    OK, probably a stupid question, but since I have a 9930 and a PB, when they bring BBM to the PB will I then have two separate BBMs or will I sign in using my BB ID and (despite the different PINs) have the same BBM account associated with each device? Will I be able to switch back and forth between devices and continue the same conversation? Have a chat on my 9930 via BBM, and later "see recent messages" on my PB's BBM for that person? That'd be really excellent if my BBM worked across multiple devices....
    10-17-12 08:17 AM
    I'm assuming for people with a BB phone, you'll be using the same BBM account on both. Anything else would be illogical to me. Unless they expect you to use Bridge any time you want to use your phone's BBM account on your PB.
    10-17-12 11:11 AM
    Pretty sure BBM on BB10 is BBID based, opposed to PIN based like found on OS7 and below.

An update should come eventually (they mentioned at BBJam Americas) to OS7 BBM to allow convos between Dev Alpha and OS7 devices. Followed by OS6 and so on...
    10-17-12 06:38 PM
    Which PlayBooks will get it though. The wifi version or the LTE version. It would seems Rim would have to make some money off of this.
    Curious, how would RIM not make money on it on either version of PB? When I have WiFi connected on my phone BBM is connected via WiFi, are they then loosing money because I'm using a router and not a cellular data connection?

Most of my BBM activity is via a router at home or at work, plus my carrier does not charge me for BB services. So who pays for router connected BBM?
    10-18-12 02:02 AM
    Curious, how would RIM not make money on it on either version of PB? When I have WiFi connected on my phone BBM is connected via WiFi, are they then loosing money because I'm using a router and not a cellular data connection?

Most of my BBM activity is via a router at home or at work, plus my carrier does not charge me for BB services. So who pays for router connected BBM?
    BB10 BBM does not require a BIS-data plan anymore.

I'd really hope this BBM will work, and that it is able to BBM with other older blackberries !!
    10-18-12 05:46 AM
    So the ETA was 10/19 .. It was delayed till 10/21 .. Any news about it ??
    10-21-12 03:21 PM
    So the ETA was 10/19 .. It was delayed till 10/21 .. Any news about it ??
    Why do you need news about it? It's the Dev Alpha OS on the PlayBook, if you do it -- you have to strip everything else from the PlayBook. This isn't some magic or trickery anyone can load the file onto the PlayBook... and have. Is BBM worth that much that you want to strip every other function of your PlayBook out?
    diegonei likes this.
    10-21-12 03:34 PM
    Why do you need news about it? It's the Dev Alpha OS on the PlayBook, if you do it -- you have to strip everything else from the PlayBook. This isn't some magic or trickery anyone can load the file onto the PlayBook... and have. Is BBM worth that much that you want to strip every other function of your PlayBook out?
    Well, the guy behind this site claimed he would be able to get it to work without loosing other functionality. I think from the lack of evidence, it is fairly clear he has failed in his attempts.
    10-21-12 03:38 PM
    Well, the guy behind this site claimed he would be able to get it to work without loosing other functionality. I think from the lack of evidence, it is fairly clear he has failed in his attempts.
    This is the reason i want news
    I want BBM, but i dont want to lose the functionality so.. I'll skip the BBM if it won't be available without updating to the Dev Alpha OS
    10-21-12 03:53 PM
    Well, he updated his site with instructions and downloads of the firmware, dingleberry, etc. I'm going to try since I have not updated my playbook to BB10 yet, just to see what it's like. If the functionality seems better then previously reported I'll post some results.
    10-21-12 04:22 PM
    Well, he updated his site with instructions and downloads of the firmware, dingleberry, etc. I'm going to try since I have not updated my playbook to BB10 yet, just to see what it's like. If the functionality seems better then previously reported I'll post some results.
    Yea I just saw his tweet; "@f0go: Dev-f0go: How to install BBM on PlayBook http://t.co/QroXHTPx "

He posted it 2hrs ago

Edit: it does require BB10 to run BBM
    10-21-12 04:34 PM
    I was hoping someone would repack BBM with cascades and extract the bbm background service from the root-owned services.
    10-21-12 06:29 PM
    I was hoping someone would repack BBM with cascades and extract the bbm background service from the root-owned services.
    Aha, easier said then done though?

Well from what I've been playing around with, BBM works (to an extent) as mentioned, games home works, camera app works, (but unable to edit pictures).

App world is still not working correctly, and many other apps are non functional.

Switching between apps shuts down the springboard and the playbook becomes unusable until restarted, I would continue to play around with the software but it no point, BBM works with new and old devices but thats the only plus in an otherwise negative update.
    Last edited by Tules; 10-22-12 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Continued testing further
    10-21-12 06:54 PM
    Why don't you do that ?
    10-22-12 02:48 AM
    Repacking cascades is easy.
    Extracting the BBM background process is very difficult. It wouldn't work with other BBM apps.
    jeroen_13 likes this.
    10-22-12 03:00 AM
33 12