Bear with me on this as I wont say I know huge amounts about app development but I have read that the developers are going to suffer due to the delay of BB10.

I understand they have a living to make, and I also understand from reading they were readying apps for the launch of BB10 "later this year".

So my question is, what's stopping them releasing said apps on the PlayBook platform anyway to make some money from their work?

Feel free to flame my ignorance on the subject if this question / point is rather stupid.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-01-12 02:10 PM
    Depends on which environment/libraries the dev uses in writing the app.

If it's an app that depends heavily on Cascades, then rolling it back to PBOS may not be trivial. If it's phone-dependent, there's no choice.

I wouldn't say it's an "ignorant" question by any stretch. RIM has been going to some effort to reach out to developers and the commitment to have the phones out by year end was the carrot on the stick. Now, that stick's gotten a little longer.

The biggest problem is this: it looks like there are still fewer than 2 million Playbooks out there even after more than a year of sales, so it isn't much of a market. In theory, if BB10 is as popular as the current generation of BlackBerry devices, it would sell that many in a month. Developers won't see an awful lot of sales to reward their efforts until the device numbers are there for them.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-01-12 02:26 PM
    Thanks for your clearly worded response.

Regardless of the number of devices, surely it makes sense to turn said app into some form of income (if as you have explained) if it is possible to run it on PlayBook.

If the app proves popular it will get all the advertising it will ever need being a top app in the app world.

07-01-12 02:43 PM
    Fair point. For a small dev the Playbook gives them a device to market an app and recover at least a little revenue, and you could even make the point that it gives that dev time to refine/improve the app ahead of the BB10 launch.
    07-01-12 02:46 PM
    Make a good app for App World and it will sell. You'll most likely do as well or better compared to selling it in more competitive apple, windows, or android app stores

Selling 50,000 apps with exposure to 1.5 - 2 million playbook users is do-able...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-01-12 02:56 PM
    Make a good app for App World and it will sell. You'll most likely do as well or better compared to selling it in more competitive apple, windows, or android app stores

Selling 50,000 apps with exposure to 1.5 - 2 million playbook users is do-able...
    Of course, the million dollar question is, what is a good app?
    07-01-12 03:28 PM
    Bear with me on this as I wont say I know huge amounts about app development but I have read that the developers are going to suffer due to the delay of BB10.

I understand they have a living to make, and I also understand from reading they were readying apps for the launch of BB10 "later this year".

So my question is, what's stopping them releasing said apps on the PlayBook platform anyway to make some money from their work?

Feel free to flame my ignorance on the subject if this question / point is rather stupid.

theres 78 million bbos phones out there vs less than 2 million playbooks. Thats a huge difference if you are looking to make money it seems logical to go for bbos over qnx
    07-01-12 03:58 PM
    theres 78 million bbos phones out there vs less than 2 million playbooks. Thats a huge difference if you are looking to make money it seems logical to go for bbos over qnx

You are missing my point, the devs lining up apps for the launch of BB10 were not lining up apps to run on BB7,6,5 etc. They were developing for QNX.

07-01-12 04:16 PM
    Of course, the million dollar question is, what is a good app?
    Isn't that for cleaver developers to think up?
    07-01-12 05:20 PM
    Isn't that for cleaver developers to think up?
    I missed your Lab but if you insist on the numeric avatar, I've fixed it for you:
    07-01-12 06:52 PM
    I missed your Lab but if you insist on the numeric avatar, I've fixed it for you:
    I wish both my lappy and pb weren't having trouble with images today on crackberry, I might be able to smile and not even know it.
    07-01-12 07:03 PM
    re: Images

Yes, in another thread I clicked on the thumbnails and got a small box with the thumb filename but no image - same with the next ones in that reply.
    07-01-12 11:43 PM
    So really it is conceivable that we could see an influx of apps that were destined for BB10 coming to the PlayBook
    07-02-12 07:20 AM
    So really it is conceivable that we could see an influx of apps that were destined for BB10 coming to the PlayBook
    I have not been a programmer in many years but from what I've read, unless programmers include a ton of extra code in their apps that provide missing parts to fill in 'cascade' gaps, bb10 apps will not run on the pb. Programs programmed to work with Cascades aspects of bb10 will not run unless altered. Now some might think that effort is worth it to sell something or introduce their new app but others might not find the pb a large enough market to warrant such efforts.

OR I could be very, totally, and completely wrong in my interpretation.
    07-02-12 09:32 AM
    That is why RIM needs to get a compatible OS version on the pb ASAP.
    po8pimp likes this.
    07-02-12 09:37 AM
    That is why RIM needs to get a compatible OS version on the pb ASAP.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Why doesn't RIM just put out an update allowing the android portion of the pb to be more useful? I mean the pb would have been better just to not include android at all IMO. Makes the OS seem real cheap when you get an app from the market and it is an android app that goes into a completely different OS with so many limitations. There are so many bugs that need fixed. Not entirely impossible considering the software has been out for so long and the guys who were rooted never had these issues. So RIM is just destroying itself by limiting it's users. Once there is a way to root this thing again, I will be jumping on the bandwagon and disabling all updates from RIM. They ruined the playbook IMHO. Can you imagine a cell phone with this OS on it. BB10 seems amazing just like OS 2.0 did, but really OS 2.0 did not come out how everyone thought it was going to. Sorry about the rant. Frustrated at the whole idea of using this playbook another 6+ months on this OS. I basically have an expensive paper weight on my night stand.
    07-02-12 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD