Haven't seen a thread on here for the playbook, and I know there are a bunch of you who like everything that flys so please feel free to add!

AeroWx - METAR and TAFs - in the app store
    Flight Computer - E6B - in the app store

I would love some feedback, and definitly throw in any other apps or links that may be interesting!

Still waiting for a LiveATC app for the playbook...

Cheers,
    A
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-14-11 03:39 PM
    I love live ATC would be great
    07-14-11 10:00 PM
    Hi all,
    Let's band together and pester Hilton Software for WingX and ForeFlight for ForeFlight Mobile HD on the Playbook. Both look like great apps with great reviews, but no BB support.
    Let's voice that.

[email protected]
    [email protected]

Frankly, the iPad is a bit big and bulky in the cockpit - nice, but really hard to find a useful place to put it where it won't interfere with panel visibility and such. Playbook is the right size for this type of use and can mount right on the yoke.
    09-30-11 01:39 PM
    I agree the PB would be a great aviation platform for these type applications. Great bright display in the cockpit. I have an HP slate running a system on Windoze7 and its just ok. Unfortunately with the Amazon Fire coming I fear the developers will go there rather than PB. Of course that small memory and slow processor is crap and would cripple an app that is data intensive like an aviation nav system.

What will turn this around? A home run with OS 2 and a really good Android app. This on the potent hardware. And a marketing program with some real effort to show the potential of PB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 07:58 PM
    Any updates on aviation apps for PlayBook?
    01-31-12 06:22 PM
    really wish some of those sweet ipad aviations apps would hit the playbook so i could show the playbook off to our pilots
    01-31-12 07:28 PM
    You can listen to LiveATC in your browser can't you?
    I contacted them a while back and asked permission to make a BlackBerry app, they told me no. I don't think they plan to support BB in any way
    01-31-12 10:04 PM
    Flightaware works in the browser even while bridged. They also have an app for Blackberry phones. I don't know if they will update the app for the PB.
    estalzer likes this.
    02-01-12 11:14 AM
    Flightaware works well on my 9930. Police scanner for Playbook offer some ATC. I just upgraded it and now it wont work for me.
    02-01-12 10:22 PM
    liveatc works perfectly in the browser. unlike android and ipad no app required
    estalzer likes this.
    02-03-12 03:02 PM
    Hey folks,
    Control Vision is just releasing Version 1 of their popular AnywhereMap system now available on Android (and that other platform...) I have used it for many years first on PDAs and then on Windows tablets (still using an HP 500), and it's a complete system with rich vector mapping, VFR and IFR charts, approach plates, and Wx. V1 of the android is not fully baked yet, but the price is also discounted at $79. Lifetime database updates are very economical and transfer when you go to a new platform.

Anywhere Map for Android OS

Ok, let's convince Jay Humbard, CEO of CV, that it makes sense to port this over to the BlackBerry PlayBook and App Store. I'm a customer there and priming the pump in the customer forums. But expressions of interest from potential new customers will help encourage them to look at porting this app. If you are interested (please don't just spam them) go to the link below and email them with your thoughts on having AWM on the PlayBook.

Cheers!

http://store.controlvision.com/contact.html
    Last edited by Brianflys; 04-06-12 at 12:35 AM.
    04-06-12 12:33 AM
    C'mon pilots! Here is our chance at a top tier aircraft navigation system on the PlayBook! Posting this since my prior post was so late last night.
    04-06-12 01:05 PM
    When I was working at an FBO I was using Passur to track flights on my playbook. Never needed to jump on a computer.
    04-08-12 11:39 PM
    I got my ATPL and left Aviation 'cause there is no way to make a living making $40 K working for Jazz. Death in a Navajo wasn't in my cards either. However, Cap Gens, SOP's, CARS, LO Charts, VTA's, Flight Sups ect would be great. My Lowrance 500 had Terrain Avoidance on the GPS. That would be gold.

Real time charts with real time positions. Like Google Maps---- Winning

So much can be done. No one is using the powerful PB, and it's a big loss so far.
    04-09-12 12:45 AM
    Agreed, it would be great to have aviation-related apps on the playbook. My big ones would be Jeppesen charts/plates and access to Jetplan (the website works but isn't touch screen friendly).

On the "toy" side, I'd love to see some kind of EFIS app like ihud.

A BIG need would be an updated pdf reader that would let me better use my 1,100+ page AOI.

Lastly, a Wx app thats more than METAR/TAF, maybe include webcams where available, graphical forecast, radar, NOTAMs, etc.
    04-09-12 05:45 PM
    Hey folks,
    Control Vision is just releasing Version 1 of their popular AnywhereMap system now available on Android (and that other platform...) I have used it for many years first on PDAs and then on Windows tablets (still using an HP 500), and it's a complete system with rich vector mapping, VFR and IFR charts, approach plates, and Wx. V1 of the android is not fully baked yet, but the price is also discounted at $79. Lifetime database updates are very economical and transfer when you go to a new platform.

Anywhere Map for Android OS

Ok, let's convince Jay Humbard, CEO of CV, that it makes sense to port this over to the BlackBerry PlayBook and App Store. I'm a customer there and priming the pump in the customer forums. But expressions of interest from potential new customers will help encourage them to look at porting this app. If you are interested (please don't just spam them) go to the link below and email them with your thoughts on having AWM on the PlayBook.

Cheers!

Contact Anywhere Map
    Just dropped AWM a line. I also mentioned it on a call to them the other day! Playbook will be awesome with this outstanding software!
    05-09-12 05:57 PM
    I've been using the android version, slumming on an android tablet. AnywhereMap Freedom has great potential, flew a long cross country last weekend and it seems fast and stable. Once they have the remaining features of the standard Windows version, this will be a great package for PlayBook.
    05-09-12 08:47 PM
    Here is the reply from Anywhere Map:

We have attempted to utilize this platform, as the Playbook has a nicely bright screen and is a good size, but it did not work. I am not a programmer, so the details of why it did not work escape me, but I was told that was a definite no-go. We were tentatively planning on selling the playbooks if they porting over worked, but we had to scrap that plan altogether.

I know that many customers have asked about this option, and we have attempted it, but regretfully, we are unable to make this platform work for us.

Sincerely,

Amanda Humbard

Sales and Customer Service Manager

Anywhere Map

800-292-1160

[email protected]

Anywhere Map - Aviation GPS and XM Weather
    A division of Control Vision Corporation
    05-10-12 11:14 AM
    Have they tried contact someone at RIM to help with this? Maybe that should be forwarded to Alec Saunders...
    Kiddello likes this.
    05-10-12 11:44 AM
    LuayS:

Feel free to forward my post to RIM. I am not a programmer and do not know enough to challenge the response, but I am sure there are those on this site that could. I wonder if they tried to use QNX instead of porting over the Android version?
    05-10-12 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD