- Top Free, Top Paid lists are limited to just 25. It should be increased to Overall Top 200 Paid and Overall Top 200 Free
    - There should also be Top 100 lists PER category

Unbelievable: Why is the newest apps list limited to 25 entries? How can I discover new apps this way?
    - There should be unlimited listings in the newest apps section (like the App Store on iPad).

Am I the only one bothered by the extreme difficulty of finding good apps and the inability of discovering new apps in the App World?
    Last edited by Chipchop; 04-28-11 at 08:54 PM.
    hazer72 likes this.
    04-28-11 08:22 PM
    I was thinking that myself. the 25 "new' apps is not enough to keep up with what is being posted. I'm also unsure as to how apps are classified. For example, there are new apps for the Vancouver Sun, Province, National Post - I only saw them in the new section and downloaded them from there. But for the life of me I can not find where they are actually classified. Would be nice for the apps to list what category they are filed under.
    04-28-11 08:29 PM
    i kinda think that until there is a critical mass of apps and enough good ones there really isnt a need....yet
    04-28-11 08:30 PM
    I agree. Please put this in the suggestions sticky at the top of the forum (was going to post something similar but forgot, and I don't think anyone has said it yet)
    04-28-11 08:50 PM
    i disagree, for a few reasons, i`ll try list them all for ya

1) `newest` being unlimited would just be all the apps? making it `all apps arranged by date` aka `not newest`
    2) when you load up appworld (phone or playbook) it loads up that list, so while its not bad loading 25 of each category, imagine if your device is trying to pre-cache 4x that ammount by top 100, or even pre-caching all of that data if you want newest to be unlimited. it`ll just be too slow.
    3) its that way because thats how it is on phones too, so some synergy has obviosuly been applied.

theres a limit to how much data can be loaded and how fast they can do it, im guessing 25 of each is the `optimium` for best results and speed of use.

if you want to see what will happen, on a phone go into the theme section in appworld and click on abstract, see how long it takes to cache all that info, then re-assess wether you really want that happening on the playbook.
    04-28-11 09:15 PM
    Newest apps "by release date" don't need any caching.. they can all be pulled off server everytime. It doesn't even have to load all apps at once, pagination system could be used.

I wouldn't mind waiting a couple extra seconds for the more app listings. TOP 100 is a bare essential.
    Last edited by Chipchop; 04-28-11 at 09:25 PM.
    04-28-11 09:23 PM
    1. Go to the AppWorld through your PC at BlackBerry App World - Home
    2. Sign in
    3. Get the browser plugin so it hooks up with Desktop Manager and make sure Desktop Manager knows about your PlayBook.
    4. Add your Playbook device to PC AppWorld
    5. You can then switch to the Playbook device and browse the AppWorld to your hearts content any way you like.

Note: I did this on day 1 so I don;t recall how you get the browser plugin or exactly how I did it but if you get it, you'll be scanning AppWorld this way as I do daily to see what's new.

I typically do this to see new apps by clicking on "Categories" and then sorting by Date. You will see ALL apps sorted by date changed or added (not sure). You can also view by popularity Paid, Free or both.

Hope this helps.
    04-28-11 09:30 PM
    I shouldn't have to rely on my desktop. PlayBook is a standalone tablet.. AppWorld in PlayBook should be able to do that.
    04-28-11 09:41 PM
    The first thing they should work on is the dreadful submission process for developers. It's totally screwed right now. It takes forever to get anything approved, the Test House doesn't even actually test anything (they let broken releases go live) and there's no way to communicate with them. It's a trainwreck at the moment. I sure hope RIM is going to do something about this mess because as it stands now it's kind of a pain to be an app vendor on this platform...
    04-28-11 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD