I have a PB16 on the way and I'm wondering if I will be able to copy apps from my Bold 9900 to the playbook. I have a law enforcement type app on my phone and would like to also use it on my PB.

I'm just hoping that when I log into Appworld on my PB I will be able to download the apps I have bought already for my phone.

forgive me for the newbie question. I'm a FNG with the PB
    12-28-11 10:51 AM
    Unfortunately, no. The 9900 runs BB7 and the PlayBook runs the Tablet OS. They aren't compatible. I haven't heard anything about whether you'll be able to do this when the BB10 phones come out since they will be running a flavor of the QNX OS but fingers crossed.
    12-28-11 11:28 AM
    I have a PB16 on the way and I'm wondering if I will be able to copy apps from my Bold 9900 to the playbook. I have a law enforcement type app on my phone and would like to also use it on my PB.

I'm just hoping that when I log into Appworld on my PB I will be able to download the apps I have bought already for my phone.

forgive me for the newbie question. I'm a FNG with the PB
    It's complicated, so there is no short answer to your question.

The programming language supported on your smart phone (the mobile version of Java) is not supported on your PlayBook. This means that the developer has to write a version using a language supported by your PB. This process is called "porting" and is not a trivial matter. Some developers have ported their apps and others have not.

To further complicate things, some developers have chosen to port their apps, but do it in such a way that the app is recognized as a different app from the one on your phone (even though the two versions may have exactly the same name.) So, in these cases, you will need to purchase the app again at whatever price the developer is asking.

There is a lot of controversy about whether it is "fair" for a developer to make you pay twice for what you perceive as the identical app on two different platforms. But I can assure you that it is a lot of work to port an app from a Java version to let's say an Adobe Air version. Some developers feel it is worth the risk of alienating some customers in order recoup some of the cost of providing you with a version compatible with your new device. Other developers are prepared to absorb the costs for the sake of retaining their customers' goodwill.
    12-28-11 11:31 AM
    If the app isn't routed over for the Playbook, it won't be available on PB App world.
    12-28-11 11:42 AM
    thank you all for taking the time and responding to my question. The answers are great.

I will have to spend lots of time with my PB when it arrives. I have already read through all the tips and tricks threads.....
    12-28-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD