Most Apps for the Playbook store documents in a non-accessible location, requires an online sync, requires you to email to yourself or requires an online presence.

I am referring to Notes Apps, Congu, Evernote, Timesheets, etc.

This is frustrating to me. I work a lot in Africa (DRC, Zambia, Ghana). There is not always a decent wireless or 3G signal. So, these apps' data is locked on my playbook, or are unusable as they require internet. Is there some reason why these apps cannot store the data, in a usable form, in the documents folder? I can then copy the data, via usb, to my laptop.

I realise that some of the developers use the subscription model to generate revenue. But, that sale is lost to me.

Any comments, ideas.
    09-13-11 10:16 AM
    Many of these apps facilitate sharing data. Some are designed so that a single user can share info between various devices. Others are designed so that a user can share info with other users in a collaborative context. Some apps are designed to share info in both ways. There is no better way to share info than to store it server-side where it can be accessed form anywhere. This is the "cloud" model.

Other users may find it useful to store their information locally in a format that they can copy to other devices as required. Depending on design considerations a "cloud" oriented app may or may not allow local storage.

The above is the long answer to your question. The short answer is that you will need to find an app that meets your particular needs.

If you can't find one, it might be worthwhile contacting the developers to make your need known. If you take the latter route, it is important that you contact the developer via the support email address rather than by creating a review that contains a request for a new feature. The feature that you are requesting may already be available or is "in the works". Speaking as a developer, two-way communication via email gives me a much better opportunity to meet your needs.
    09-13-11 10:50 AM
    The short answer is that you will need to find an app that meets your particular needs.
    The "Cloud" works great in cities. But when out in the sticks...not.

I have searched, downloaded free and paid apps. No luck.

I agree with you not to use the forums/ reviews to trash a product because it does not meet yours needs. I am patiently waiting for the "right app". I was hoping someone could point me to an app that they use.
    09-13-11 11:14 AM
    It might be helpful to us know what kind of documents you want to be stored locally. Are they free-form text files, annotated images, reminders-with-notifications, automated entries in your calendar or something else?

There may be some technical difficulties in meeting some requirements. E.g, the RIM notification API's are not currently available to third-party developers so this type of functionality is not yet possible.

If you can expand on what you are looking for perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction.
    09-13-11 11:44 AM
    It might be helpful to us know what kind of documents you want to be stored locally. Are they free-form text files, annotated images, reminders-with-notifications, automated entries in your calendar or something else?

There may be some technical difficulties in meeting some requirements. E.g, the RIM notification API's are not currently available to third-party developers so this type of functionality is not yet possible.

If you can expand on what you are looking for perhaps someone here can point you in the right direction.
    Notes - I do project work. So I take a lot notes. Would like to copy and paste them into Excel on my laptop.

To Do Lists - I have a spreadsheet which I forward to clients. I would like a app which I can use to compile a document for client use.

As situation is now I usually have to retype work or drag laptop onto site.

Something similar to Microsoft notes. But local storage so when have time can compile a site report. Copy paste is ok, but I need to be able to transfer to laptop.

When in site camp usually there is no internet. Office usually has but clients tend to lock them down. So take notes, photo's, etc on Playbook. Go to office, copy data to laptop, compile daily report, etc on Laptop. Copy to flashdisk. Give to client. Usually daily report.
    Last edited by Slabs1960; 09-13-11 at 12:53 PM.
    09-13-11 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD