Is there a reason App world doesn't work over a tethered connection?
    I tether my tablet to my phone, and when i open App world, it complains there is no wi-fi connection?
    05-17-12 07:57 AM
    are you tethering via wifi hotspot? or using Bridge?
    is it a 3rd party app?

is your phone a blackberry?

please be a little more specific about the hardware you are using
    05-17-12 08:59 AM
    I am tethering using the playbook -> BB bold and an internet tethering plan from verizon. I am not trying to use bridge. The playbook tells me it is tethered and i have a connection to the internet. I can use the connection to access mail and other functions. When I start App world, it pops up a message that tells me to ensure my device is connected to the wireless network and try again???
    05-17-12 09:30 AM
    I am tethering using the playbook -> BB bold and an internet tethering plan from verizon. I am not trying to use bridge. The playbook tells me it is tethered and i have a connection to the internet. I can use the connection to access mail and other functions. When I start App world, it pops up a message that tells me to ensure my device is connected to the wireless network and try again???
    Some apps do not function via Bridge or Bluetooth tethering (and never have). App World and Video Chat are two such apps. This behaviour is by design and only RIM knows exactly why. Since the recent OS upgrade, Bing Maps is another app that won't work unless connected to the Internet via WiFi. Again we don't know why this should be the case. Most 3rd party apps work well over any available connection (but there may be some exceptions).
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 05-17-12 at 10:45 AM.
    05-17-12 10:18 AM
    App World can only be accessed if the PB is connected to WiFi. If you're using the Bold 9930 then just enable the mobile hotspot on your BB. Then, in the wifi setting of your PB, connect the PB to the hotspot and you will be able to access App World since it is using a WiFi connection. If you have an Bold 9650 or something other than BB 7 device, then you won't be able to access App World using your BB.
    05-17-12 10:26 AM
    Some apps do not function via Bridge or Bluetooth tethering (and never have). App World and Video Chat are two such apps. This behaviour is by design and only RIM knows exactly why. Since the recent OS upgrade, Bing is another app that won't work unless connected to the Internet via WiFi. Again we don't know why this should be the case. Most 3rd party apps work well over any available connection (but there may be some exceptions).
    Bing maps, bing otherwise works. Otherwise might confuse someone.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    05-17-12 10:29 AM
    turning on the hot spot worked, thanks
    05-17-12 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD