I am receiving the following error from App World when I try to upgrade to Version 1.5 of BattleBallz Chaos that came out this afternoon:

I clicked on upgrade and tried to install it; the app will download; and then I receive an "Install Error [0008]: There was a problem during the installation. Please try again"

I then thought to delete the app from the Playbook and simply reinstall the app. Again, I get the same error. Of course, by deleting the app, now I can't even play the game without the upgrade so that was stupid on my part.

Does anyone know what this error message means - got to love programmers and their "try again" messages" that dont do anything

Oh, I've tried power cycling the Playbook to see if that would make a difference - no good. I've also tried to delete another app (both free and paid) and reinstall them. Those worked fine. I've also purchased a new paid app and that went through without a problem.

Any ideas?
    09-09-11 10:30 AM
    You are not the only one with this problem... Even worse, I got the question for paying for it before trying to upgrade... Which of course it doesn't do. It was a fun game while it worked, pitty tho that I now paid for it and can't use it.
    09-09-11 10:44 AM
    It's a known issue that many are having (for whatever reason) with some recent updates. RIM's aware of it and looking into it with the vendors. I'm sure a fix is considered very urgent...
    09-09-11 11:11 AM
    I started a thread in the main pb forum regarding 'part' of this issue.

I do not want to pay for an upgrade. But I think I will see a perpetual Red Asterisk if I either do not upgrade or do not delete the app. This will be irritating if I keep the pb for a year or more. There needs to be a way to end the nag/reminder if someone does not want to upgrade.
    09-09-11 11:46 AM
    You are not the only one with this problem... Even worse, I got the question for paying for it before trying to upgrade... Which of course it doesn't do. It was a fun game while it worked, pitty tho that I now paid for it and can't use it.
    I am in the same boat of you. I hope that a fix comes soon given that we have already paid for the game and now can no longer use it.

As an aside, App World, today, seems particularly slow/buggy. When I went to purchase an app, there was a message pop up that said the "payment system is currently busy, please....." I don't recall the rest of the message as it disappeared shortly after it appeared. Overall, it just seems slower and less stable than usual.
    09-09-11 12:09 PM
    I emailed pocketeers and pointed to this thread... I've no problem paying and waiting it out though, this isn't the first time upgrading caused major errors.. Anyone else remember the LiteFTP fiasco?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    pocketreers likes this.
    09-09-11 02:28 PM
    Hi,

We are incredibly sorry about this whole issue. We submitted the update to BattleBallz Chaos yesterday and it was approved the early hours of this morning. We have since then had a steady flow of emails from users that are either a) First time users who have just purchased the game, but it will not install and b) Already existing users who are trying to upgrade, but it will not install.

We are also being told by users that they are being charged $1.99 for the upgrade, which shouldn't be happening. In our app developer panel our upgrade price is set to "FREE". if you have been charged for the upgrade then you should not have been. If you are one of those that have been charged for the update then please contact the app stores support and let them know that you have been charged for a free upgrade and they should refund you. If not then please get in touch with us at Contact | Pocketeers Limited. We have already posted to the Blackberry support forum to let them know that users have been charged for a free upgrade and asked them to refund everyone that has, please refer to Users charged for an update that was marked as fre... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

We have literally dropped everything today to jump on this issue to try and find out what’s gone wrong. We followed the exact same process as we did to sign and submit the update so we are pretty sure that side of it is ok. We have noticed that other developers are having similar issues so it could be a simple issue with App World. We hope that the issue is on our side however as we don’t want to wait for an OS or App World update for the issue to be cleared up.

We just received an email from RIM informing us that our 1.5 update has been taken down due to “incorrect signing” (whether or not this is the case we don’t know yet), so hopefully when the changes roll through to App World, v1.4 will be available again. In the meantime we will continue to investigate what has gone wrong.

I would like to finish by apologising once again and saying thanks for your patience.

Mat
    Last edited by pocketreers; 09-09-11 at 03:29 PM.
    09-09-11 02:47 PM
    RIM drops the ball again... even if incorrect signing is the cause... it begs the question what the heck does RIM's approval process entail?

09-09-11 05:34 PM
    Hi everyone, I just wanted to confirm that Version 1.4 is out and works perfectly. I reinstalled the game without any problems or issues - no error from App World!

I also want to publically thank Mat from Pocketrees. Mat and his company have been phenominal in communicating with this issue both on email/twitter and the official support boards for Playbook. I can honestly say that I am surprised and impressed by seeing a company going out of their way at trying to rectify this issue, trying to get RIM's attention regarding the matter, and responding to consumers. In short, this company has gone out of its way to ensure that the problem is rectified and consumers are supported. As such, I want to say thanks.

For the record, I have absolutely nothing to do with this company nor do I know anyone in this company.
    pocketreers likes this.
    09-09-11 08:49 PM
    Hi Everyone,

According to a thread in the Blackberry developer forum, this error was caused by an app that has not been signed properly. We have just submitted an update again after triple checking the signing process. This does not however explain why some people have been charged for the upgrade. We have had no word on this yet. if you were charged for the 1.5 upgrade then please contact App World and let them know. We are still trying to find out how it happened at our end. If the system tries to charge you for the new update when it goes live then please DO NOT purchase it

Mat
    09-13-11 06:28 PM
    Thanks for the update on the situation. Shame RIM's approval process dropped the ball heh, I'da thought signing would be one of the first things they'd test for.

If RIM doesn't refund the people who purchased I hope they at least give you your share. Personally I'm all for paying for this game, but not if you don't get your share.

pocketreers likes this.
    09-13-11 06:44 PM
    Version 1.7 has now appeared on App World. No errors or installation problems with this upgrade. Worked like a charm
    pocketreers likes this.
    09-14-11 10:31 AM
    Version 1.7 has now appeared on App World. No errors or installation problems with this upgrade. Worked like a charm
    Same here

09-14-11 10:53 AM
    I am told the price of the app has increased. I did initially get it for free.
    09-14-11 11:16 AM
    I am told the price of the app has increased. I did initially get it for free.
    Booo guess pocketeers hasn't gotten through to RIM about that yet..

09-14-11 11:35 AM
    Same here

I go into App World and it says 1.7 is a free upgrade so I hit "Upgrade". When it starts the download I then get a messge that the price has increased to 1.99. Pretty annoying as I can never seem to get rid of the red astrerisk.
    09-14-11 05:56 PM
    Glad to hear that the update has gone ok for people. Disappointed to hear that users are still being charged for the upgrade. From what I've read it would appear that App World is not registering a free download as a purchase of the app. Hopefully we can clarify the situation very soon.
    09-14-11 07:58 PM
    Glad to hear that the update has gone ok for people. Disappointed to hear that users are still being charged for the upgrade. From what I've read it would appear that App World is not registering a free download as a purchase of the app. Hopefully we can clarify the situation very soon.
    Thank you for looking into this.
    pocketreers likes this.
    09-14-11 09:35 PM
    No problem, we want to get to the bottom of the issue as we have a lot of developments on our schedule for Playbook. If we cannot utilise a free offer system to drive app exposure then we need to rethink our strategy with regards to what we can develop for Playbook and / or our marketing strategy. We don't really have huge marketing budgets as we are a small indie developer so we rely mainly on word of mouth, social media and PR / forums etc. We do have some pretty cool games in development however, one due for release in November and the other just before or just after, depends on how quickly we can finalise the art work.
    09-15-11 02:05 PM
    Any progress to date or a workaround?
    09-21-11 04:43 PM
    Any progress to date or a workaround?
    I am about to start a new thread - very annoying - not just B Chaos but all of them constantly reminding of upgrades!
    09-21-11 05:10 PM
    We are still waiting to hear from RIM
    09-23-11 12:01 PM
    We are still waiting to hear from RIM
    Thanks for keeping us inform. I'll just wait to update.
    09-23-11 04:29 PM
    I still have 1.4 and can't upgrade... This has been an exercise in frustration. What is the next step? Where do we go from here...
    10-11-11 10:41 AM
    I guess the way appworld works, there is no way around the price increase from FREE. On the BB phones, you usually got a freebie for beta testing or as a promotion but the app came with an code tied to the pin number. So upgrades usually were okay as you could reenter the code.

The only way around this would be for appworld to come up with some fix or for the developer to offer the app privately for sideloading (and I don't know much about the sideloading process).
    10-11-11 12:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD