Okay, as of today I did an exact count of the number of apps in app world. Here is the breakdown.

Number of non gaming apps is: 1826

Number of gaming apps is: 923

Total number of apps is: 2749

This is a lot more than what was in the app world at the April 19th launch date and less than the 4000 apps that was expected at launch, but it shows some good faith that developers are working on new apps. The process for more difficult apps takes longer and the process hasn't been simple for developers, but they are still trying to get things done.

There were some obvious bad apps that were a part of a get a free playbook campaign, but I think we are past that now. By my gorilla math it works out to roughly 30 new apps a day... (gorilla math)

Things like this always start out slow while developers go though the ropes of just getting their first app up and running. It is their advantage to add an app worth selling and some work hard to get the app working right. I am very pleased so far with the turnout and I can only imagine things get better as developers see the success of the playbook grow. I only saw one fart app too while I was counting.

Good work so far RIM and we know this has been an up hill battle all the way, but the playbook is holding its own and we all expect great things to come, now excuse me while I go and push my "Check For Updates" button.
    BrokenSaint likes this.
    07-08-11 02:14 AM
    Okay, as of today I did an exact count of the number of apps in app world. Here is the breakdown.

Number of non gaming apps is: 1826

Number of gaming apps is: 923

Total number of apps is: 2749

This is a lot more than what was in the app world at the April 19th launch date and less than the 4000 apps that was expected at launch, but it shows some good faith that developers are working on new apps. The process for more difficult apps takes longer and the process hasn't been simple for developers, but they are still trying to get things done.

There were some obvious bad apps that were a part of a get a free playbook campaign, but I think we are past that now. By my gorilla math it works out to roughly 30 new apps a day... (gorilla math)

Things like this always start out slow while developers go though the ropes of just getting their first app up and running. It is their advantage to add an app worth selling and some work hard to get the app working right. I am very pleased so far with the turnout and I can only imagine things get better as developers see the success of the playbook grow. I only saw one fart app too while I was counting.

Good work so far RIM and we know this has been an up hill battle all the way, but the playbook is holding its own and we all expect great things to come, now excuse me while I go and push my "Check For Updates" button.
    I check App World on daily basis (since last month), and if you looked at the New Apps section, there is rarely more than 20 apps per day..
    07-08-11 04:32 AM
    do you guys get more apps per day like me ?
    i look every day,and i only see about 2-3 new apps per day.
    i live in germany,do we get less or how can it be explained.
    its bad enough we have to pay more for apps anyway
    07-08-11 05:46 AM
    same here in Middle East Region... are you guys accessing different AppWorld?...
    07-08-11 06:12 AM
    Apps appear in regions approved by the developers based on language, licensing, and other salient details. I don't think anyone other than RIM will know the total number of apps in AppWorld.

However the total number of apps is irrelevant, as i really only care about apps that are available to me.
    07-08-11 06:58 AM
    we really need more "useful" apps in appworld and not bloatware. Give us some RDP, telnet, network tools, good travel apps, etc. Then I can really promote my playbook at work.
    kirson and howarmat like this.
    07-08-11 07:07 AM
    It's great to see the number of "fart" apps increasing as well, 'cause you can never have enough fart apps.
    07-08-11 07:09 AM
    I expected great things from TAT...

Why no quality apps from that aquisition?
    07-08-11 07:17 AM
    I expected great things from TAT...

Why no quality apps from that aquisition?

I agree, the scrapbook app could be a great app if they add more updates to it
    07-08-11 07:25 AM
    Sorry, I knew I would get quoted to say that 30 new apps appear daily. To be clear of my gorilla math, I divided the number of apps, by the number of days since the launch date of April 19th. I did not say that thirty new apps get added daily. The apps appear when they appear, not on a numbered daily basis.

I would give any thing for meta trader4 put their desktop trading software on the playbook. Once the financial sector starts building apps for the playbook, it makes sense for traders to adopt the playbook as the mobile device of choice. The playbook renders live streaming charts with tools beautifully straight from the net. This plus some secure trading platform to trade with, will help traders to be fully portable, without having to compromise any part of their trading platform. When hard core productivity apps start appearing, the playbook will become the default tablet for the business industry as well pick up a lot of sales in the consumer sector.
    07-08-11 07:47 AM
    TAT works for RIM now and they are probably writing code for the OS. I really hope they will get to build some really great apps. I think apps that are in the 300 MB range, like need for speed should be built, to take over as a gaming platform, instead of 1MB puzzle type games.

I want Grand Theft Auto 5 in full version on the playbook too. My driving and shooting really improves when I play. Why should I have to play on my 5 year old playstation 3? I will pay 50 dollars an app if it is a full game. I am sure the 99 cent apps will always have their place, but I know people buying tablets also have money to buy the software to go along with it. Schock us all RIM! I am sure you did not build the most powerful tablet on the planet having phone apps in mind.
    nigpd likes this.
    07-08-11 08:03 AM
    we really need more "useful" apps in appworld and not bloatware. Give us some RDP, telnet, network tools, good travel apps, etc. Then I can really promote my playbook at work.
    I agree. Apps that can impress to a broad spectrum of people are absolutely essential if PlayBook is to expand its user base. I'm sure that TAT could come up with a picture viewer that can automatically rotate an image when you rotate the device.

Until PlayBook has all of the basics covered , apps that appeal to a smaller audience don't have a hope of succeeding, no matter how good they happen to be.
    07-08-11 08:20 AM
    Would love an RDP app, SSH, and a Junos Pulse VPN app. Those are on my wish list... and I guess an 3270 emulator app as well...
    07-08-11 08:47 AM
    That seems to be a lot of games for a business platform. How many apps are tablet specific?
    07-08-11 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD