Hi Folks,

I've searched thru BB World and don't find anything like this, so I figured CB would be a good place to post a suggestion. I'm a rental property manager. As part of my duty to the owner, I conduct move-in/move-out inspections of their rental property, in addition to mid-lease inspections. I currently print out a paper form in order to make any notes. There are several apps available to iPad/iPhone/Android users, which assist in accomplishing this task, but nothing is available to Playbook users. One app that a lot of other property managers use is Property Pal, but it's only available on i-devices. I sent that developer a FB message, but their response was basically, "buy an iPad".

I'm wondering if any PB app developers would like to take on the task of making an app for this purpose?
    05-20-13 07:48 AM
    Or how about taking on the task of creating a bb app for me and I can include the above
    05-21-13 12:49 AM
    I realize you folks would like an app specific to your industry, but what you're describing is just a database. You might want to look at
    BlackBerry World - DBase for BlackBerry PlayBook
    or
    BlackBerry World - Database Forms
    to create your own.
    05-21-13 10:10 AM
    Or how about taking on the task of creating a bb app for me and I can include the above
    Not sure I understand what you're saying, but I'll take a stab at a response. If I were a software developer, I probably would write my own app. But, I spend my time doing property management and look for ways to operate more efficiently. Putting my PB tablet to use for the inspection process would possibly simplify that task, and help me keep things more orderly and professional.
    05-21-13 10:57 AM
    I realize you folks would like an app specific to your industry, but what you're describing is just a database. You might want to look at
    BlackBerry World - DBase for BlackBerry PlayBook
    or
    BlackBerry World - Database Forms
    to create your own.
    What I'm looking to get is not really a database, at least not the way I understand databases. I already utilize a cloud-based property management system, which keeps track of all landlord/tenant info, accounting processes, etc. But the need for an tablet-based app would take the place of a printed checklist, which could then be emailed to tenants/landlords, and archived to my files. Your statement of "I realize you folks would like an app specific to your industry..." is a little off-putting. For a device that has long been touted as a business/productivity tool, why shouldn't I be able to ask someone to have an app that will work for me? As I said in my OP, there are many apps on the competing platforms, but nothing for Playbook. I'm fairly certain there are app developers searching CB for product ideas, no? That's why I made the post. :/
    05-21-13 11:07 AM
    What I'm looking to get is not really a database, at least not the way I understand databases. I already utilize a cloud-based property management system, which keeps track of all landlord/tenant info, accounting processes, etc. But the need for an tablet-based app would take the place of a printed checklist, which could then be emailed to tenants/landlords, and archived to my files. Your statement of "I realize you folks would like an app specific to your industry..." is a little off-putting. For a device that has long been touted as a business/productivity tool, why shouldn't I be able to ask someone to have an app that will work for me? As I said in my OP, there are many apps on the competing platforms, but nothing for Playbook. I'm fairly certain there are app developers searching CB for product ideas, no? That's why I made the post. :/
    What you are describing is actually a database. You could get by with a master .doc that you modify for each inspection,(modify=add checkmarks), rename and email. If you have a form you like from whatever device just take some time to copy its substance to Docs to go, or Sheets to go. That will be your master file you start with at each inspection. Modify, rename, save, email. Easy Peasy.
    zoomzoom71 likes this.
    05-23-13 02:13 PM
    Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. It may be a stop-gap measure until someone makes a good inspection app for residential property managers.

By the way, I certainly understand the concept of a database. For instance, when I create a paper inspection report, that final report goes in the paper database in my file cabinet for that particular property. The report, in and of itself, is not the database. It's just an element of data I collect for any given property. The inspections are just one task of many that I handle for my landlord clients. :-)
    05-23-13 02:27 PM
    Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. It may be a stop-gap measure until someone makes a good inspection app for residential property managers.

By the way, I certainly understand the concept of a database. For instance, when I create a paper inspection report, that final report goes in the paper database in my file cabinet for that particular property. The report, in and of itself, is not the database. It's just an element of data I collect for any given property. The inspections are just one task of many that I handle for my landlord clients. :-)
    I think I understand your point. I used to program databases, so to me everything is a database. The TV Guide is a database.
    05-23-13 03:48 PM
    LOL @ TV Guide Yep, I have a database background, as well.
    05-23-13 03:59 PM