I have a question. I recently purchased My File Manager because it said that it worked with bridging files from my Torch. Well it doesn't so I wrote the author. No reply so I left it 1 star. My comment and rating is no where to be found. The program is still 4.5 to 5 stars. It seems that some of the 1 star ratings I noticed before are all gone too.

To me this basically makes the app store useless....I realize the app was only .99 but it still didn't work for me and others should no about it.
    Last edited by Bill Clinton; 03-13-12 at 10:56 AM.
    03-13-12 09:31 AM
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4SLSlSmW74[/YT]
    03-13-12 09:45 AM
    Bridging works fine for me with Files & Folders.
    In this case I imagine that there's just so many positive reviews that a negative review won't have much impact.
    The developer is active here on CB, I'm surprised if he didn't answer an email.
    Can you go into more detail about your issue?
    Do you have the latest version of bridge?
    03-13-12 09:46 AM
    this has already been discussed ad infinitum. please use search.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-13-12 09:55 AM
    I have a question. I recently purchased Files and Folders because it said that it worked with bridging files from my Torch. Well it doesn't so I wrote the author. No reply so I left it 1 star. My comment and rating is no where to be found. The program is still 4.5 to 5 stars. It seems that some of the 1 star ratings I noticed before are all gone too.

To me this basically makes the app store useless....I realize the app was only .99 but it still didn't work for me and others should no about it.
    Given the pains that the author has taken to explain that the Bridge function in his app is "experimental" and may not work for everyone, I think it is perfectly reasonable that one-star rating based solely on this features are deemed to be "inappropriate".

--------------------------------
    The author is very active in this forum and there are many threads her - but you need to use the search field at the top of the page. In addition the app has a facebook page - the following information is taken from that page:
    ------------------------------------
    There are many issues surrounding Bridge, and while it works for most users, we can't guarantee it will work for everyone. That's why we don't advertise our Bridge capability on App World.

To third-party apps, such as ours, the bridge is "just another folder" on the PlayBook, and the Bridge button in Files & Folders is just a shortcut to that folder. It is the OS and BlackBerry Bridge software that "inserts" that folder into the PlayBook file system. Compared to other folders, our app does hardly anything different when accessing the bridge folder. It only checks whether there are any files it can see, and if not, it shows a message. In all other ways, it is handled as any other folder.

In any case, before you can access your files from any third-party app you must run the Bridge Files app and unlock the bridge using the lock icon next to the clock. Then swipe down in F&F and select Bridge.

Whether Bridge then works or not has always been a hit-and-miss affair, and depends on a combination of:
    BlackBerry phone model, OS version and Bridge software version;
    PlayBook OS version;
    Whether the SD card in your BB phone is encrypted or not;
    Whether your BB phone is managed by a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) or not, and if so, what policies the administrator has defined.
    What helps for some users is:
    deleting the bridge pairing
    doing a hard reset of the PlayBook
    doing a battery pull of the phone
    then re-pairing the PlayBook with the phone
    Some users can copy files from their phone but cannot paste files to their phone.

There are some RIM knowledge base articles that may help you resolve these problems or give you an idea what to try:
    Unable to access the Media Card within Bridge Files on the BlackBerry PlayBook KB28140-Unable to access the Media Card within Bridge Files on the BlackBerry PlayBook
    BlackBerry Bridge cannot be unlocked on the BlackBerry PlayBook when content protection is enabled on the BlackBerry Smartphone KB26862-BlackBerry Bridge cannot be unlocked on the BlackBerry PlayBook when content protection is enabled on the BlackBerry Smartphone
    Unable to view JPGs via Playbook Bridge Messages or Bridge Files KB27312-Unable to view JPGs via Playbook Bridge Messages or Bridge Files
    Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet KB27216-Unable to download and open attachments on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet
    Finally, try searching the BlackBerry or CrackBerry forums for users with similar issues:
    BlackBerry� PlayBook
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-f222/

Sorry we can't be of more help, but we hope this may give you some pointers.

Have you managed to get it to work on your PB? Let us know in the comments below!
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 03-13-12 at 10:09 AM.
    03-13-12 10:02 AM
    OK, thanks for the info.....

I think giving basically free will for authors to remove ratings is wrong - period. Why have a review system at all . Just my opinion.....With the files and folders app I went back in to the reviews after I had issues and saw other low reviews with the same issues....the next day they were all gone. However its spun.....it is wrong.

Edit - I must apologize to the author of files and folders. I named the wrong app - it was MY FILE MANAGER that I had trouble with. I will correct the initial message. Files and Folders actually worked where My File Manager did not.

Just my 2 cents....
    Last edited by Bill Clinton; 03-13-12 at 10:56 AM.
    tsells likes this.
    03-13-12 10:53 AM
    I have a question. I recently purchased Files and Folders because it said that it worked with bridging files from my Torch. Well it doesn't so I wrote the author. No reply so I left it 1 star. My comment and rating is no where to be found. The program is still 4.5 to 5 stars. It seems that some of the 1 star ratings I noticed before are all gone too.
    EDIT: the original poster confused Files & Folders with a competing app. For the sake of openness I'll leave my reply unchanged here:

I'm sorry to hear this. We do our best to answer all support request e-mails, but obviously this one was either lost in transit or flew under our radar somehow.

Just to be clear about this: unlike some other vendors we do not remove reviews to boost our ratings. We consider whether the information in a review is helpful to other users, regardless of the rating. In the 9 months or so since Files & Folders was released of the 172 reviews only 7 were removed (some even 4-stars!) and only for the following reasons:

• they were totally unrelated to our app (e.g. App World payment problems or internal issues in PDF reader);
    • they were clearly "user-error" (e.g. "can't delete a folder");
    • they contained incorrect instructions that would confuse other users;
    • they were automatically removed by App World, not by us (e.g. due to bad language or use of trademarks).

If you use the App World web page you'll see the reviews are mostly 4 or 5 stars, but do contain the odd 1 or 2-star reviews. You may need to use the page numbers at the top of the page to scroll back a few months though.

As for the Bridge function: we do not advertise this feature, because we can't guarantee it works for everybody. For instance, the OS restricts Bridge functionality if your BB is on BES. One of the reasons we offer a trial version is to allow users to test the app before deciding whether to buy it.

Feel free to contact me at bb dot support at innovatology dot nl.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 03-13-12 at 11:32 AM. Reason: OP meant a different app
    03-13-12 11:18 AM
    My apologies...I named the wrong app when I posted the initial message. Your app worked fine - it was My File Manager that did not work and was the subject of my original post. I will go back to see if I can remove the whole thread.

Again I apologize. I have had no problem Files and Folders and it was well worth the purchase.
    03-13-12 11:23 AM
    Edit - I must apologize to the author of files and folders. I named the wrong app - it was MY FILE MANAGER that I had trouble with. I will correct the initial message. Files and Folders actually worked where My File Manager did not.
    Ah, that explains things. You had me worried! Glad things worked out ;-)
    03-13-12 11:25 AM
    I sincerely apologize! When the previous post mentioned a facebook page it made me go back and look - I am glad I did.

You have a great app!
    03-13-12 11:27 AM
    No worries, even Presidents get things wrong sometimes ;-)
    03-13-12 11:34 AM
    OK, thanks for the info.....

I think giving basically free will for authors to remove ratings is wrong - period. Why have a review system at all . Just my opinion.....With the files and folders app I went back in to the reviews after I had issues and saw other low reviews with the same issues....the next day they were all gone. However its spun.....it is wrong.

Just my 2 cents....

The subject of the right of a developer to protect himself from malicious, false or misleading reviews has been discussed ad infinitum in this forum. The responsibility that RIM has to ensure that the privilege is not abused by unscrupulous vendors has also been discussed. I think that they need to do a much better job, but that is really beside the point as far as this discussion is concerned.

I think that your original post illustrates my point precisely. If your review had been posted in App World, you would not have been able to correct your error and apologize profusely.

Just my two cents.
    03-13-12 11:51 AM
    ... nor would I have been able to post a reply.
    03-13-12 12:08 PM
    @ Bill Clinton. There is another advantage to posting reviews in this forum as opposed to App World. Did you know that you can request that the title of you post be updated so as not to be quite so misleading? Just click on the so-called nanny-button (the red triangle at the top of your OP) and ask the mods to change it.
    03-13-12 12:16 PM
    I will start checking here before I buy an APP. Good idea...
    03-13-12 12:23 PM
    Sincerely i did my research and tried both apps, Files and Folder and My File Manager and on a daily basis "My File Manager" worked better for me, the Bridge function sometimes works and some other doesn't but that's something i can live with right now and i know it is going to be fixed soon. My File Manager makes it very easy to manipulate folders unlike Files And Folder which can become a pain in the a** trying to select a folder without opening it. Also i took as a plus the fact that "My File Manager" updated more recently than Files And Folder (which can change very soon) and also that it was cheaper...

my 0.2$
    03-13-12 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD