Ok so here is my problem in a nutshell...RIM. Seriously though...

I've really been struggling with a combination problem. The big bad wolf is knocking on the door and little red riding hood has no where to hide.

The big bad wolf would be the problem of apps crashing on an increasing basis. Little red ridinghood would be me sweating it out because I cant get the desktop to do a bloody damn backup.

I rather suspect that I am going to have to do a wipe and a reload which at the moment is more than a byte inconvenient if you get my drift. So I am turning to my fellow...sometimes frustrated...playbook users.

Question 1.

What are thoughts about what is making my apps crash.

I have 4 Gs of space available and don't always have many apps open. Are we talking about memory issues and if so is there a way to clear the memory with out a wipe. Don't know how PB provides app memory...vs storage memory.

I am running latest OS version. Had the issue before updating.

Question 2

How do I resolve the backup issues.

If there is one thing I have always hated about RIM is the damn desktop...always had problems with it.

I am running Windows 7 64bit. The DM seems to recognize that it is connected to tthe tablet but always get an "Error has occured." Something about making sure the tablet is connected and powered on.

I can access files through Windows Explorer but for some reason the backup utility cant find the playbook.

Could really use a hand getting the big bad wolf out of my face.
    10-08-11 01:56 AM
    Since the Update before this one, I also canNOT backup. I'm Vista64 but also tried on a Win7-32. So, while I can backup all my files manually (and most are copies anyway), I cannot backup apps or settings. But you are right, even just restoring 16-20 gigs of data takes its time.

Don't know why you are crashing? You might see if you can recall installing something that may have been the trigger. Any, what you'd consider, oddball apps?
    10-08-11 09:33 AM
    Not sure about the dm problem as I rarely use it but have you done the 3 button reset? Press and hold all at the same time.... power, + and - until it restarts.
    10-08-11 09:44 AM
    There might be a corrupt app in there. Maybe you should re-install them one by one and see what gives...Also, I run Win 7 64 bit as well, and use DM to back up the PB and our 2 BB's about once a month. I 'switch devices' on the DM and have never had a problem. It's funny how the experience can differ so much from user to user!
    10-08-11 10:50 AM
    Agree with jvictor. I also run Win 7 64 bit & have never had a problem backing up my pb. I have had problems backing up my bb before and it was always a corrupt file somewhere on my bb. Had to check them out one by one in DM. Hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 11:34 AM
    Agree with jvictor. I also run Win 7 64 bit & have never had a problem backing up my pb. I have had problems backing up my bb before and it was always a corrupt file somewhere on my bb. Had to check them out one by one in DM. Hope you get it figured out. I know how frustrating it can be.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-11 11:42 AM
    While I empathize with your frustration - but I have to ask... backup what?
    The OS and apps can be easily restored, files like music, photos etc can be simply be "copied" to your desktop without desktop manager-

I back up my phone only because it has contact info, which constantly changes, and other native PIM stuff. A few apps I have that contain changing data require backup but have their own backup facility for that. But so far there is no PIM data resident to the Playbook. I haven't even installed desktop manager since I bought this in June - and so far have had no need to.

So what exactly needs backup through desktop manager?
    10-08-11 12:01 PM
    While I empathize with your frustration - but I have to ask... backup what?
    The OS and apps can be easily restored, files like music, photos etc can be simply be "copied" to your desktop without desktop manager-

I back up my phone only because it has contact info, which constantly changes, and other native PIM stuff. A few apps I have that contain changing data require backup but have their own backup facility for that. But so far there is no PIM data resident to the Playbook. I haven't even installed desktop manager since I bought this in June - and so far have had no need to.

So what exactly needs backup through desktop manager?
    Settings. Like, you know, those Bookmarks that can't be renamed or reordered.

Apps - yes, I'm cheap - if I got it for free or cheaper (than now), I should be able to maintain and copy/backup that version and not have to spring for the newer more costly version.

Be that as it may, since I canNOT backup (due to rim bugs???), I will have to bite the bullet and blow away my apps one of these days.
    10-08-11 01:09 PM
    Ok so here is my problem in a nutshell...RIM. Seriously though...

I've really been struggling with a combination problem. The big bad wolf is knocking on the door and little red riding hood has no where to hide.

The big bad wolf would be the problem of apps crashing on an increasing basis. Little red ridinghood would be me sweating it out because I cant get the desktop to do a bloody damn backup.

I rather suspect that I am going to have to do a wipe and a reload which at the moment is more than a byte inconvenient if you get my drift. So I am turning to my fellow...sometimes frustrated...playbook users.

Question 1.

What are thoughts about what is making my apps crash.

I have 4 Gs of space available and don't always have many apps open. Are we talking about memory issues and if so is there a way to clear the memory with out a wipe. Don't know how PB provides app memory...vs storage memory.

I am running latest OS version. Had the issue before updating.

Question 2

How do I resolve the backup issues.

If there is one thing I have always hated about RIM is the damn desktop...always had problems with it.

I am running Windows 7 64bit. The DM seems to recognize that it is connected to tthe tablet but always get an "Error has occured." Something about making sure the tablet is connected and powered on.

I can access files through Windows Explorer but for some reason the backup utility cant find the playbook.

Could really use a hand getting the big bad wolf out of my face.
    Which version of DM are you using?
    10-08-11 01:14 PM
    Thanks for all of the replies folks.

Blackjack is probably right...in my case at least there really isnt much to back up. Dont have alot of bookmarks to replace. I wouldnt mind clearing the device of a lot of junk apps I never use but am too lazy to delete.

I will give the three button reset kbz suggested a go and see if that helps.

I will also see if there is a newer version of DM...though honestly I have always hates that utility. Has never worked for me...its a personal issue I think.

I wonder if my Apple Magic Mouse could be the culprit???

Anyway....cheers and thanks.
    10-09-11 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD