Okay, now we've got solar system explorer, and exoplanet explorer on the way, but come on, we have practically no Astronomy apps compared to Android or iPhone!

I just went to Android market and simply searched NASA, and WOW they have a lot of great apps (going to see about converting a few, but I don't have high hopes for all of them, will update this post afterwards), wish we could get astronomy buffs to develop some for the playbook!
    03-08-12 05:00 PM
    There is one called what's up
    03-08-12 05:03 PM
    Okay, now we've got solar system explorer, and exoplanet explorer on the way, but come on, we have practically no Astronomy apps compared to Android or iPhone!

I just went to Android market and simply searched NASA, and WOW they have a lot of great apps (going to see about converting a few, but I don't have high hopes for all of them, will update this post afterwards), wish we could get astronomy buffs to develop some for the playbook!
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Have you thought about contacting the authors about the possibility of porting their apps to PlayBook? This is preferable to converting the apps yourself.
    03-08-12 05:15 PM
    There is one called what's up
    I would like to see a lot more astronomy apps on this platform. It't a very lonely place right now.
    03-08-12 05:17 PM
    I think I'm going to have to. I've actually (on a slightly related topic) been drafting an email to Alec Saunders about the fact that RIM should pitch to all of the International Space Station partners about using the PlayBook on the ISS. It's only a matter of time before they start using tablets, and the PlayBook has the size, weight, and security (hella emphasis here, I mean, most government companies will only allow PlayBook use for this reason), to make it extremely ideal.

Anyway, we have absolutely nothing compared to the multitude of astronomy apps on Android devices, and I think I'm definitely going to have to start emailing devs. :P

Also, the few I tried converting myself failed, it seems they would have to make some modifications to a lot of them before they were compatible. more work is always bad when trying to convince them to port.
    03-08-12 05:31 PM
    I want a Wipeout HD clone, does that count? :-D
    Last edited by sagec; 03-08-12 at 05:44 PM.
    03-08-12 05:42 PM
    I would like to see a lot more astronomy apps on this platform. It't a very lonely place right now.
    Gosh. I read the thread title and my first thought was, "Boy! BuzzStarField is gunna be annoyed!!". Guess I was wrong!!

Nice app, by the way. Bought the paid version to support you. I only occasionally have use for it, but it's a good app.

When, now that 2.0 is out, will you release an update that will automatically align the compass and gyroscope??
    Last edited by BSFA2008; 03-08-12 at 05:51 PM.
    03-08-12 05:43 PM
    LMao, I didn't even realize BuzzStarField wrote What's Up? ! Well, it's a good app, I just meant there are a lot of ones like "3D Sun" On android Market that do things "What's Up?" was never meant to do. :P
    03-08-12 05:54 PM
    When, now that 2.0 is out, will you release an update that will automatically align the compass and gyroscope??
    It already uses the compass and accelerometer to implement "point and view" although I am working on improvements using native code. It's taking a little longer that I expected but in the meantime, I am not receiving any complaints (quite the opposite, in fact) about the current implementation. The app has been selling like hotcakes since the last update in late January.

Lots more science apps are needed on PlayBook. Please contact Android developers and let them know that BB users are hungry for this kind of stuff.

BTW, the magnetometer is used to obtain the azimuth (compass heading) and the accelerometer is used to obtain the angle with respect to the horizon (altitude). The gyroscope is not used.
    03-08-12 06:10 PM
    Whats Up is great!....I have also sideloaded Google Sky Map. Solar System Explorer is great too (and available now from the App World)
    zethaaron likes this.
    03-08-12 06:30 PM
    I hope RIM features Solar Explorer like they did with Whats Up.. solar is a better app IMO. Both are great though
    samson47 likes this.
    03-08-12 06:56 PM
    It already uses the compass and accelerometer to implement "point and view" although I am working on improvements using native code. It's taking a little longer that I expected but in the meantime, I am not receiving any complaints (quite the opposite, in fact) about the current implementation. The app has been selling like hotcakes since the last update in late January.

Lots more science apps are needed on PlayBook. Please contact Android developers and let them know that BB users are hungry for this kind of stuff.

BTW, the magnetometer is used to obtain the azimuth (compass heading) and the accelerometer is used to obtain the angle with respect to the horizon (altitude). The gyroscope is not used.
    Lol I thought the playbook didn't even have a magnetometer or gyroscope. :P
    03-08-12 07:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD