In the last couple of months I have contacted quite a few developers of Android applications suggesting that they submit their apps for inclusion in AppWorld. I have tried to explain the process briefly and give them a link and explained how easy it was and how they would reach a whole new market with little effort. I have absolutely nothing to show for my efforts, not one of these applications is in App World right now. I have received replies ranging from "we'll consider it" to "thanks but no thanks" and "thanks for the info".

Please note that I'm not talking about major apps like Kindle or Skype. I'm talking about apps like SoundCloud, etc.

Anybody else getting better results?

(Please note that I'm not interested in side-loading Android applications)
    04-14-12 08:25 PM
    i wish we would see more than just re-packed android phone apps....

it's irritating having to use the PB in portrait only, or in landscape with all text pressed up in a tiny spot on upper left corner....

Please devs', follow some UI guidelines and adjust your apps to the PB, then pack and wrap it onto AppWorld,... please...

and if you cannot do that - please include a picture showing the app in landscape - and indicate in description that it is portrait only....
    04-14-12 09:08 PM
    i wish we would see more than just re-packed android phone apps....

it's irritating having to use the PB in portrait only, or in landscape with all text pressed up in a tiny spot on upper left corner....

Please devs', follow some UI guidelines and adjust your apps to the PB, then pack and wrap it onto AppWorld,... please...

and if you cannot do that - please include a picture showing the app in landscape - and indicate in description that it is portrait only....
    I think that you may have highlighted the reason that some (maybe a lot of) Android developers have decided to take a pass on PB. It's just a theory, mind you, but it goes like this: If the average Android guy is anything like me, she would have a great deal of pride in her work. She wouldn't want her reputation damaged by giving people an app that is not designed for the platform.

Also, since it is a lot of work to overhaul an app and mistakes are common in programming, she would want to be able to test the changes on a real device. She would also want to make sure that she would have a significant user base on the new device and she would want to be able to provide support.

On the other hand there are all sorts of rumors about RIM failing, about the supposed Android Player's failings and about lousy PB sales. Never mind that the stories are overblown and some of them are false - they're out there and they are very hard to refute.

If you were a developer in this situation (without a real PB in your hands), what would your decision be about making the jump?
    04-14-12 10:05 PM
    Soon after I got my PlayBook, I contacted Dolphin HD development team mentioning the great opportunity they had with the PlayBook since the stock browser app is very limited in terms of features. We went back and forth in a couple of emails.

Months later, with the release of OS 2.0, Handster took it upon themselves to wrap Dolphin as a .bar. Most know the story about that and now the official version of the Dolphin browser available in App World is fully supported by the developer.

I sent them additional emails, once when the story related to Handster first came out, and another when they officially submitted to App World. I asked in the second email if they were considering a native port, but I never got a response.

Two quick things worth mentioning:
    A) RIM needs to take care of all developers, especially those with apps in the Android ecosystem that have proven themselves successful.
    B) I believe RIM should be clear about they're approach towards "default" apps, will RIM allow users to replace stock apps with apps available for download? I want to use Simple Browser rather than the stock, Smart Office instead of Documents to Go, etc. Will RIM allow this level of personalization?
    04-15-12 02:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD