Tried the 32 bit installer, doesn't seem like it'll work for my pc setup.

How do I apply for that refund?
    05-02-12 10:56 AM
    Works pretty well for me! Nice going!

Tip... if you are trying to watch a TV series episode, you have to first do a search in Netflix to find that series. In the search results, click on the TV series to see the seasons. There will appear a play icon on the left side of the screen for each of the episodes in the series. Press and hold on this icon (I had to zoom in) and copy that link and paste into Flix.
    Thanks! I'll try and build in a feature for advancing to the next episode.

By the way, it would be most appreciated if you are enjoying the app to leave a review for me... thanks!
    05-02-12 12:26 PM
    Tried the 32 bit installer, doesn't seem like it'll work for my pc setup.

How do I apply for that refund?
    Is it giving you an error message? (Just to check: Are you using XP, or no?)

Here's the App World form for requesting a refund:

https://www.blackberry.com/technical....do?ft=generic
    05-02-12 12:27 PM
    One other tip. After installing on your PC, you may have to quit the program and restart it. Until I did that the app on my Playbook was unable to connect to the PC.
    05-02-12 02:29 PM
    Is it giving you an error message? (Just to check: Are you using XP, or no?)

Here's the App World form for requesting a refund:

https://www.blackberry.com/technical....do?ft=generic
    Na, using 32bit Windows 7 running on a Core Duo @ 1.73. It's a shame, I was hoping this would be a nice stopgap for actually having Netflix, but I'll probably have to wait for my next upgrade before buying the app again.

I've completed the form and been contact by App world. Explained its my subpar PC hardware, not a flaw in the App or an issue on the Playbook. Thanks for the app, hope it
    05-02-12 04:40 PM
    App World processed the refund with no trouble, glad that there are devs that're understanding about user-side incompatibilities.

I saw there was an upgrade available, any major revisions?
    05-03-12 10:26 AM
    Doesn't this drive a fairly big hole through the Netflix DRM (not that I'm complaining)? If you can redirect the output to the PB it can't be a big leap to pipe the output to something that would save it to file
    05-03-12 11:31 AM
    App World processed the refund with no trouble, glad that there are devs that're understanding about user-side incompatibilities.

I saw there was an upgrade available, any major revisions?
    The update fixes a problem that occurred when the initial connection to your PC couldn't be made automatically and you had to type your IP address in manually. In those cases, playback wasn't working properly.

I also made a change to the PC app this morning to tweak some of the audio recording code to try and better accommodate PCs that aren't as powerful. It seems to help, but I didn't have much chance to play with it this morning, so I'll do more testing when I get home. (To get that update, use Task Manager to end the Flix process and then start it again via your Start button menu, and it should prompt you to update)
    05-03-12 02:04 PM
    Doesn't this drive a fairly big hole through the Netflix DRM (not that I'm complaining)? If you can redirect the output to the PB it can't be a big leap to pipe the output to something that would save it to file
    There is already an app named "PlayOn" that does this, so I don't think my app is really doing anything new.

The format that my app sends data to the PlayBack in is a completely custom format and it would be about as much work converting it into a stored video as it would be to do from scratch on the PC. I think there are actually apps out there already that allow you to record audio/video from your PC -- so this can likely already be done for people that want to circumvent the DRM. (For example, there are definitely apps that do that for iTunes DRM videos)
    05-03-12 02:10 PM
    Hello. I was one of the first purchasing your FLIX for $5 and was exited about it.
    Not any more

Unfortunately since beginning I get black screen, there is audio coming in but that is it.

I disabled firewall on pc , setup all settings to lowest quality and always is black screen.

I just upgraded to ver 6 hoping issue will be solved , nope.

PC is connected to 1GB network and there should be no performance issue.

How this can be fixed?
    05-03-12 04:55 PM
    Hey jarekb,

Sorry for not seeing your message sooner.

The biggest issues users are running into is that they start a movie and the audio plays but the screen stays black, just like you are seeing. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to reproduce this issue locally without luck so far, making it difficult to diagnose and fix. This is currently my highest priority.

A previous theory of mine was that because the Netflix movie was playing offscreen, some computers / video cards might not allow the video to be recorded, but I'm starting to doubt that theory.

If you're a technical user that knows how to sideload BAR files and would be willing to help me troubleshoot this issue, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks, and sorry for this frustrating issue.

Daniel
    05-11-12 09:19 PM
    Hello. I was one of the first purchasing your FLIX for $5 and was exited about it.
    Not any more

Unfortunately since beginning I get black screen, there is audio coming in but that is it.

I disabled firewall on pc , setup all settings to lowest quality and always is black screen.

I just upgraded to ver 6 hoping issue will be solved , nope.

PC is connected to 1GB network and there should be no performance issue.

How this can be fixed?
    Update on this issue:

I think I've figured this one out. My theory is that if your monitor goes into "standby" mode to save power, then the movie stops rendering on your computer screen and so what gets recorded is black. If you are experiencing this problem, try making sure your computer screen is visible and restart the movie. If that solves the problem for you, please let me know. The next version of the app that I release will include a fix along these lines.
    05-13-12 09:22 PM
    When I first submitted the app to App World for approval, I set the price to $4.99, but when I released it today, I adjusted the price to $2.99, since $5 is a bit steep for first buyers to pay for an app that hasn't proven itself yet. However, there is an issue in App World where, when the price is changed, it does take affect immediately in the store, but when people actually go to buy it, it continues to charge the old price until RIM has synced their price list with Digital River. It is super annoying as a developer, and obviously frustrating for users, especially if they don't notice the discrepancy. Hopefully the price will get synced up soon. RIM knows about this issue and apparently their are working to improve the situation.
    RIM need get basic done. PlayBook is a great tablet,but these small things drive people out
    05-13-12 10:16 PM
    Thanks again.
    05-16-12 11:36 PM
    I've released a significant update to the Windows app that includes lots of fixes:

Here are the instructions for updating the Windows app:

Flix: Updating the Windows App

I also submitted an update to the PlayBook app a couple of days ago that I'm waiting to be approved which includes yet more fixes, such as resolving the slight seam in the audio every 10 seconds.
    05-17-12 06:14 PM
    i paid for the app and then tried to install it on my pc. i get this error message and need to resolve "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." i don't know what to do. it gives the link to the website Visual Studio Home | Microsoft Visual Studio for details but i don't know what to look for. i'm in Canada.

if this doesn't work, i'm gonna need a refund.
    05-25-12 01:22 AM
    i paid for the app and then tried to install it on my pc. i get this error message and need to resolve "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." i don't know what to do. it gives the link to the website Visual Studio Home | Microsoft Visual Studio for details but i don't know what to look for. i'm in Canada.

if this doesn't work, i'm gonna need a refund.
    Hi sindai,

You might have missed the paragraph above the download link:

Other users have reported the error "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine". If you run into this, please use this installer.
    05-25-12 06:47 AM
    Just bought this and set it up. Not tried it yet. Very excited. Slowly plugging the holes of things I can do on my iPod and my wife can do on the iPad. Happy to support a Canadian developer too

As for capturing off screen, Fraps, Bandicam... They could all do it, so copying stuff from Netflix is about as hard as putting on a hat.
    06-01-12 03:03 PM
    Hi sindai,

You might have missed the paragraph above the download link:

Other users have reported the error "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine". If you run into this, please use this installer.
    DOH!! haha...totally missed it! reinstalled! it works!!
    Thanks so much for this app!!
    danielbigham likes this.
    06-03-12 04:39 PM
    I downloaded flix from app world but when I try to open it, I get the error message asking me for my lan ip. I try to input the device ip, I get a connection failed message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help.
    06-06-12 01:56 PM
    I downloaded flix from app world but when I try to open it, I get the error message asking me for my lan ip. I try to input the device ip, I get a connection failed message. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Please help.
    Just to confirm:

1. You've installed the Windows app: Flix
    (required)
    2. The Flix program starts automatically, and is in your Windows tray. (bottom right of your screen, near the volume icon. You might have to click the little "up arrow")
    3. When you start Flix on your PlayBook, it tries for 8 seconds and then displays an alert box for you to enter your computer's IP address.
    4. You right Flix in your Windows tray and select "What's my IP address".
    5. You type that number into the PlayBook and click Ok.
    6. It displays "Connecting" again but doesn't get past that.

Let me know if any of that is unclear, or if there are any discrepancies with what you have tried / what you are seeing.

If so, other things to try:

- Try disabling your Windows firewall.
    - Try going to http://127.0.0.1:4559/hello on your PC. Does that display a white page with "Hello!" in the top left corner?
    - It can be worth trying to restart your Internet router, PC, and PlayBook.

Thanks!
    Daniel
    06-06-12 01:57 PM
    so how does it work? i installed the flix pc app and the playbook bar file.. i inputted my lAN IP and everything seemed to work.. but when i attempt to open a movie, it takes me to a page for system requirements ( all of which i meet ).. the flix playbook app does not reveal a play now button or anything..
    I'm a little confused about "I installed the flix pc app and the playbook bar file"... the bar file? Where did you get the bar file?
    12-31-12 03:05 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD