Has anyone managed to get a version of Android Skype on PB which allows you to make calls over wi-fi. The version that I got off this forum only allows me to chat. It does try to make calls using the cellular network (which is of course impossible on the PB since its wi-fi only). Does anyone have a version which allows you to make/receive skype calls over wi-fi?

If you do have it I would be grateful if you could post the link to the BAR file.

Regards,

Alon
    10-21-11 10:42 AM
    I'm, pretty sure the Android player blocks VoIP
    10-21-11 10:46 AM
    android player blocks the camera and mic. i was able to get ooVoo installed and to recieve calls but no video or audio. It actually says video locked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 11:22 AM
    android player blocks the camera and mic. i was able to get ooVoo installed and to recieve calls but no video or audio. It actually says video locked.

Android Player blocks the Camera, Mic
    Also It can't run the Android APIs or the Android NDK staff.

What was the need of the Player then? Will it be useful anytime soon, I downgraded today to 1.7 back because I see no use of it.
    10-21-11 01:11 PM
    Thanks guys for the clarification. I wonder why Android blocks it but my iPad (i have all the tablets) allows voice and video... oh well.
    10-22-11 07:11 AM
    Android doesn't block it.
    Playbook's Android Player blocks it.

However, contrary to what many people are saying here, the microphone works perfectly in Playbook's Android Player. You can, for example, send audio via Whatsapp fine. The in-built sound recorder app in Android records audio from microphone fine.
    10-22-11 07:17 AM
    At the risk of being called a spammer, I will post this here again. Although not an android app this app will give you skype voice over imo and on a good day skype video
    10-22-11 11:31 AM

However, contrary to what many people are saying here, the microphone works perfectly in Playbook's Android Player. You can, for example, send audio via Whatsapp fine. The in-built sound recorder app in Android records audio from microphone fine.
    You've got Whatsapp working on the playbook? How did you manage that? doesn't it require sms activation?
    10-22-11 03:15 PM
    You've got Whatsapp working on the playbook? How did you manage that? doesn't it require sms activation?
    xsacha had mentioned it somewhere. you can search for the exact instructions but basically it was to let the sms activation timeout then let them call you and give you the code to enter. i think it would also stop the whatsapp from working on the phone number you entered.
    10-23-11 11:06 AM
    At the risk of being called a spammer, I will post this here again. Although not an android app this app will give you skype voice over imo and on a good day skype video
    Hi, I just installed your application, but video doesn't seem to be working at all...Do you happen to know why the video isn't working?

Edit: NVM, just saw the "on a good day" part
    Last edited by adinutzyc21; 11-27-11 at 11:47 PM.
    11-27-11 11:05 PM

You gotta wonder why RIM would do this.... okay, competition sometimes pushes manufacturers to play games like that but the playbook video chat is not competing with skype since all the playbook video chat can hook up with is other playbooks.

audio and video isnt blocked on www.imo.im, i know that much, because i can go there and video/audio chat with other yahoo im users around the world.

Who knows. RIM is just goofy.

11-28-11 09:04 AM
    You gotta wonder why RIM would do this.... okay, competition sometimes pushes manufacturers to play games like that but the playbook video chat is not competing with skype since all the playbook video chat can hook up with is other playbooks.
    Apple's iteration in Facetime can only go ipad to ipad or iphone, ipod as well though (which i'm sure you're aware of ), so the PB is no different in that aspect..other than with no FFC's on BB's you lose that option as well.

Hopefully at some point Skype will come on board..maybe when BBx is implemented..
    11-28-11 09:10 AM

audio and video isnt blocked on www.imo.im, i know that much, because i can go there and video/audio chat with other yahoo im users around the world.

Who knows. RIM is just goofy.

Wow, I actually didn't know this. Are you serious? I am very curious why RIM made this choice. Ok, i get that Skype MAY compete with their proprietary video chat, but c'mon - NOBODY IS GOING TO BUY THIS JUST SO THEY CAN CHAT WITH OTHER PLAYBOOK USERS!!!!

Geeze, who cares what people use to communicate - if they use SKype, great, if Blackberry video chat, great. Bottom line, RIM should be focused on making the device attractive to ANY user.

I thought Android was the reason why the player was limited. It's freakin' RIM? Unbelievable!
    11-28-11 01:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD