I think there is a lot of confusion with the new os 2.0 and the android player. The player is built in to the system there have been a lot of questions regarding this maybe a Mod can make this a sticky to help people understand they don't have to download anything but bar files or convert apk files to bar to run the apps.
    10-19-11 07:50 PM
    im quite pleased how the android player is integrated into the OS. I knew RIM was trying to do this but was not sure how well they could pull it off. Curious to see what happens with appworld now. The porting of apps is even easier than I think anyone was expecting.
    10-19-11 07:53 PM
    Definately have to agree with you howarmat. I started getting a little skeptical but the ease of converting from apk to bar is so nice. Only thing is I wish the cam and maybe even mics weren't locked. Gotta figure out how to unlock those and this player can be very good for apps we don't have access to through the regular app world.
    10-19-11 07:56 PM
    im quite pleased how the android player is integrated into the OS. I knew RIM was trying to do this but was not sure how well they could pull it off. Curious to see what happens with appworld now. The porting of apps is even easier than I think anyone was expecting.
    Yeah. It proves that RIM is moving in the right direction as far as addressing consumer and developer needs. It's a pretty big step, and gives a lot of hope to the flexibility of the QNX platform. Even releasing a public and (for the most part) bug-free beta update is out of character and refreshing to those of us that have followed the company for a long time.

Unfortunately, it's still marketing, timing, and prioritizing problems that plague them. I can't help but think that if they had held off on announcing the tablet for a few more months and launched with more native apps, the tablet would've been better received. Then, a few months down the road, when people started complaining about a lack of apps (which they always do with BlackBerry), RIM could drop this bomb on the argument.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and that hurts. But fortunately, the hardware was far enough ahead of its time (another recent RIM policy change) that it's not out of the game yet. They made a good decision in holding back upgrades for a relaunch. It may stir up enough attention to get front page coverage on more main-stream consumer tech media. That could translate to a turnaround if everything is as well-implemented as this is turning out to be.
    10-19-11 08:17 PM
    Multi-touch seems working (despite RIM claiming it doesn't). Recognises 4 touch points.

Camera (Update: Microphone works!) aren't working. These need to be exposed. Then it's pretty much perfect. Not much RIM can do about the native code apps I guess.
    Last edited by xsacha; 10-20-11 at 01:06 AM.
    10-19-11 08:21 PM
    Multi-touch seems working (despite RIM claiming it doesn't). Recognises 4 touch points.

Camera and Microphone aren't working. These need to be exposed. Then it's pretty much perfect. Not much RIM can do about the native code apps I guess.
    I have a feeling both are locked look here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...player-662707/
    eanjr1964 likes this.
    10-19-11 08:43 PM
    Could someone explain how are android apps downloaded on the play book?
    10-19-11 08:53 PM
    i for one am very confused. So then i dont need to download this sideloader or anything like that? how do i load the bar files straight to the playbook
    10-19-11 08:59 PM
    go to the first post and download the ddpb loader its in the directions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-11 09:14 PM
    ok i did that and installed angry birds but all of these other apps arent working they appear on the playbook the app player opens but the app itself doesnt.
    10-19-11 09:22 PM
    If you launch an Android app and just get a black screen, this means:
    You have installed the leaked Android Player before! You need to get rid of it by doing a security wipe.
    10-19-11 09:50 PM
    RIM is a java shop but i didn't expect Android player to be this seamless and smooth. Well done RIM.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    10-19-11 10:33 PM
    RIM is a java shop but i didn't expect Android player to be this seamless and smooth. Well done RIM.
    Rim may be a java shop, but qnx is a C shop :P
    sf49ers likes this.
    10-19-11 10:38 PM
    Quick question - I have only loaded TapTalk and Kindle, but when I open both there is only one "window" on the PB when I minimize. Is that normal? I guess I am asking, does each Android app get its own window?

Thanks...I searched and could not locate a concrete answer.

Regards and thanks to all for the great work and instructions!
    10-19-11 10:40 PM
    Quick question - I have only loaded TapTalk and Kindle, but when I open both there is only one "window" on the PB when I minimize. Is that normal? I guess I am asking, does each Android app get its own window?

Thanks...I searched and could not locate a concrete answer.

Regards and thanks to all for the great work and instructions!
    no all the Android apps run in one window but they multi-task with-in that window, the usual Android buttons/functions are mapped as following:

menu -> swipe from top of the bezel
    back -> swipe from left to right on the bottom bezel
    Android keyboard and notifications are replaced with Playbook native keyboard and notifications including the gestures
    from the menu/navigation bar in the bottom you can switch between the apps.
    10-19-11 11:16 PM
    s49ers: any idea how to get that navigation back back?
    It had a back button on it. I chose to get rid of it (an option on the bar) and now can't find how to get it back.
    10-20-11 01:07 AM
    s49ers: any idea how to get that navigation back back?
    It had a back button on it. I chose to get rid of it (an option on the bar) and now can't find how to get it back.
    Swipe back until you get the screen that list all of your recent android apps (within the android app player, you may need more than one app running) then swipe down from the top bezel and select navigation, re-check the box.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 01:42 AM
    Thanks. Was just going to post that I discovered it.
    After I rebooted, I opened an app and swiped down before the app launched and saw "Navigation Settings"
    10-20-11 02:06 AM
    no all the Android apps run in one window but they multi-task with-in that window, the usual Android buttons/functions are mapped as following:

menu -> swipe from top of the bezel
    back -> swipe from left to right on the bottom bezel
    Android keyboard and notifications are replaced with Playbook native keyboard and notifications including the gestures
    from the menu/navigation bar in the bottom you can switch between the apps.
    Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I had hid the navigation bar to make it cleaner looking, but I guess I will keep it open. ahope the consumer release allows for independent windows.

Cheers!
    10-20-11 08:12 AM
    I would think that this will be how it launches, it would be wasting time to get it working like this and then change it drastically at a later date, the fact that they have implemented gestures into the player to this extent should also emphasise that too.

The concern in the past based on that very early leak is that you would only be able to load one android app at a time and maybe that would have been the case if each one basically got its own copy of android, providing one app crashing doesn't take down the whole player this solution seems far more elegant.
    10-20-11 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD