Hi All,

I have an strange issue with the market.
    I have now followed the steps from the video to the second for 6 times now
    re-installing both my PB OS and Android Player from scratch.
    Everything works after the install but for some odd reason I cannot get the icons and info that is shown on the market within the Video.

Whatever I do I keep getting the message "No matching content in Android Market"

When I try to search for something for example the Jewels game that was demoed in the video i get the message shown in the screenshot: " A Server error has occured. Retry, or Cancel and return to the previous screen."

It does not matter what i search for I always get this message.
    I am connected through Wifi cause I installed the Facebook app
    and the WLM App and both are connected I can even post updates to my profiles but Market just doesnt seem to wanna load anything.

Please Help
    08-08-11 07:04 AM
    1. Is it possible to purchase paid apps from android marketplace with this installed? (provided they are compatible with the playbook of course)

2. How do we go about removing this from our playbook should we choose to?
    08-08-11 11:31 AM
    I STILL cannot get the apps to download. I don't get an error, and it doesn't hang. The apps just say "starting download..." for about 2 seconds, then a quick PB notification shows up and then disappears and the app doesn't download.
    Sounds to me like the downloads are trying to start, but there's nowhere for them to go. If you check the notifications after it has stopped downloading you should see an error in there, click on it and the marketplace will tell you why it failed.

Going to take a shot in the dark here, but I bet your "download" directory isn't setup properly. Go into astro and it should drop you off at the "/sdcard" location, press and hold the "download" folder and go to details. What do you see in the permissions field?

This folder should be created via the USB mapped drive or over wifi using file sharing. If the permissions are wrong on it, marketplace cannot write to the folder and your downloads will fail. Take a look earlier in this thread for fixes to this and also under the OP the problem is listed as "Insufficient storage space", there's a link to a possible resolution as well there.
    08-08-11 11:56 AM
    Whatever I do I keep getting the message "No matching content in Android Market"
    I've gotten that error before when I try to rush into the marketplace after starting the player up. Let the player settle in for a minute or two before you launch marketplace. Otherwise the background services aren't ready yet and you'll get some funky errors until you reboot the device.

Give it a reboot, load up the player, wait a min or two, and then give market another shot and see what happens.
    08-08-11 11:58 AM
    1. Is it possible to purchase paid apps from android marketplace with this installed? (provided they are compatible with the playbook of course)

1.) Yes you can purchase apps with this installed, additionally you should be able to download apps you've already paid for on previous devices. Make sure your PlayBook is registered in Market correctly to ensure that the purchase will be tied to your account. You can verify that here: https://market.android.com/account?settings

2.) Just like you'd delete any other app, long press the android player icon and pick the trash can. Reboot, and you'll most likely see a ghost icon left after the reboot. Do one more deletion of it and you should be set, you can reboot once more just to make sure it's gone. Best to uninstall it all and reinstall it if you want to get rid of the marketplace, the hooks for it are dug in pretty deep and uninstalling just the marketplace components might not clean everything up in the player.
    Scion.Nole likes this.
    08-08-11 12:06 PM
    Sounds to me like the downloads are trying to start, but there's nowhere for them to go. If you check the notifications after it has stopped downloading you should see an error in there, click on it and the marketplace will tell you why it failed.

Going to take a shot in the dark here, but I bet your "download" directory isn't setup properly. Go into astro and it should drop you off at the "/sdcard" location, press and hold the "download" folder and go to details. What do you see in the permissions field?

This folder should be created via the USB mapped drive or over wifi using file sharing. If the permissions are wrong on it, marketplace cannot write to the folder and your downloads will fail. Take a look earlier in this thread for fixes to this and also under the OP the problem is listed as "Insufficient storage space", there's a link to a possible resolution as well there.
    Thanks for the response. I have tried all this. My "download" folder reads permissions as "drw". I have been all over this thread and tried everything it seems.

Curious though, when I go to "Downloads" in the application list, I see all the apps I have tried to download and they all say "failed." I can retry it, it says "in progress" and then "failed" immediately after.

I just tried deleting app player and then reinstalling and same error. The only thing I can think of now is to do a wipe. So frustrating.
    chiniki likes this.
    08-08-11 12:34 PM
    Thanks for the response. I have tried all this. My "download" folder reads permissions as "drw". I have been all over this thread and tried everything it seems.

Curious though, when I go to "Downloads" in the application list, I see all the apps I have tried to download and they all say "failed." I can retry it, it says "in progress" and then "failed" immediately after.

I just tried deleting app player and then reinstalling and same error. The only thing I can think of now is to do a wipe. So frustrating.
    Hmm, something is stopping it from starting the downloads, that seems kinda odd. Any chance your familiar with how to use ADB? A logcat from it would probably tell me exactly what's happening with your device.
    08-08-11 12:44 PM

REMEMBER When purchasing apps, check the working apps thread FIRST, as not all apps work, and be pretty tough to get a refund under these circumstances. (on your hacked installation )
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-08-11 12:50 PM

I have done exactly the same...... Surely there has to be a way to get that downloads folder into misc/android without wiping

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 12:56 PM
    I have done exactly the same...... Surely there has to be a way to get that downloads folder into misc/android without wiping

There is, it was posted here: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post6545522

Basically you need to rename it and then create it from scratch over the file share of the PB. Do you not see a "download" folder at all? Also, remember, it's "download" NOT "downloads".
    08-08-11 01:05 PM
    There is, it was posted here: http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post6545522

Basically you need to rename it and then create it from scratch over the file share of the PB. Do you not see a "download" folder at all? Also, remember, it's "download" NOT "downloads".
    I have tried to delete it, and it says failed. When I try to rename it, it says Insufficient Permissions
    08-08-11 01:50 PM
    It won't let me delete the folder apparently because of the permissions... but it did let me move it! Woohoo! I moved it into the Download folder and created a new folder and named it download, it has the drw permissions. I just downloaded the jewels game and it installed successfully! Praise the Lord!

Thanks HaTaX for all of your help!!! Hopefully this will help someone else as well!
    Managed to do this, but still hangs at Starting Download.... Do I need to reboot my PB etc?
    08-08-11 01:59 PM
    BTW, you say to add a new folder using 'file share' I'm guessing it's okay to use astro to do this?
    08-08-11 02:12 PM
    BTW, you say to add a new folder using 'file share' I'm guessing it's okay to use astro to do this?
    By using the file share I mean using the same method that you used to copy the contents of the GApps-PB-rev2.zip file to your PB. Either over the network drive when connected via USB or over the wifi share (\\PLAYBOOK\media\misc\android method)

If you create it in astro, the permissions will be wrong on the folder and you may run into issues.
    08-08-11 03:06 PM
    I was able to download three apps from the market just fine yesterday, now it just hangs on starting download????
    08-08-11 03:38 PM
    By using the file share I mean using the same method that you used to copy the contents of the GApps-PB-rev2.zip file to your PB. Either over the network drive when connected via USB or over the wifi share (\\PLAYBOOK\media\misc\android method)

If you create it in astro, the permissions will be wrong on the folder and you may run into issues.
    Ah right.... Tried doing that before but it wouldn't let me.... Just tried again and it did so I'll report if it worked.... Fingers crossed
    08-08-11 04:01 PM
    I was able to download three apps from the market just fine yesterday, now it just hangs on starting download????
    Try some of the possible solutions listed in the OP, people have tried opening google talk and logging in, sending themselves an email to the gmail account, and a few others. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Known issues:
    Stuck at "Download starting" - Possible solutions: #1, #2 , #3(Bold text), #4
    "Insufficient Storage Space" when installing downloaded app - Read the large bold paragraph above. (Workaround here if you've got the problem)
    Gmail app flashes and closes email when trying to read emails. - Issue with the HTML rendering engine in Android, no fix yet.
    08-08-11 04:18 PM
    I have tried to delete it, and it says failed. When I try to rename it, it says Insufficient Permissions
    I just ran in the the same "Starting download" issue. I went through the whole install from beginning(I had Android App installed, deleted and started over the installation and then the 15 minute video)

After doing so I attempted to download the first app in the video it just stayed on "starting to download". I then canceled out(swiping back to get back to previous screens), went all the way back to my main settings screen to make sure my wireless was working correctly. I noticed that my 4g VZW mifi was not blinking at all when attempting to download. I noticed in my wireless setup for my Android player, it was using "BlackBerry Wireless" connection, at first I did not know what on earth it was, but figured it was just using whatever wifi my PB was using. So I closed out of the android player completely, waited about 1-2 minutes, started the player back again. When I started it back I went in to check email(I also noticed that the red indicator was not popping up previously on new email), once I went in to email and just played around for a minute or two, I noticed my red indicator was popping up, I checked it and load and behold it was telling me the the Jewels installation was completed.

I guess either the reset of the application must of reset some connection, well I hope that can help in any way, I'm sure that since its a beta it may act differently for each one of us....
    HaTaX likes this.
    08-08-11 04:35 PM
    ....... I closed out of the android player completely, waited about 1-2 minutes, started the player back again. When I started it back I went in to check email(I also noticed that the red indicator was not popping up previously on new email), once I went in to email and just played around for a minute or two, I noticed my red indicator was popping up, I checked it and load and behold it was telling me the the Jewels installation was completed.

I guess either the reset of the application must of reset some connection, well I hope that can help in any way, I'm sure that since its a beta it may act differently for each one of us....
    Thanks for sharing that, that's exactly what's needed sometimes to kick the downloads off. It's actually even a bit of a problem on native devices, I've run into it a few times.

So it looks like for those getting stuck, the above is a good process to try, along with opening up Talk or any other google app. It just takes one of them to send a request out to the server and it remembers what's sitting in the queue.
    08-08-11 05:13 PM
    Ah right.... Tried doing that before but it wouldn't let me.... Just tried again and it did so I'll report if it worked.... Fingers crossed
    Works a treat. Thanks for your help

08-08-11 05:50 PM
    Major KUDOs to HaTaX for posting this and being so diligent about answering people's questions regarding the setup process. I read through your posts very thoroughly, followed the steps carefully and got to the Jewels download, installed it and it worked on the first try. Jewels is a sweet lil game. I'm probably going to download the Oxford Dictionary next - what a boring guy I am!

One question though: I assume that the PB switched off development mode by itself cuz it's off now and I didn't switch it off. Just assuming this is ok and not a mistake I may have made. I don't really know what the significance of developer mode is... just that I needed to set it as part of your process.

Excellent work!!! Let's hope RIM releases the official version soon so all the rest of the android apps will work on the PB!!!
    08-08-11 07:25 PM
    also wondering about the links for downloading shown in the apps thread (listing android apps known to work right now in this version of the PB android-player... some of those apps are paid apps - if you click the link on the PB, how does that work?
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 08-08-11 at 07:30 PM.
    08-08-11 07:28 PM
    Is there any way to have stand alone icon for a downloaded Market app appear on the PlayBook? I've got the Android App loader running great (thanks HaTax!) but would ultimately like to have separate icons for each downloaded app.

Probably just need to wait on RIM
    08-08-11 10:55 PM
    Major KUDOs to HaTaX for posting this and being so diligent about answering people's questions regarding the setup process. I read through your posts very thoroughly, followed the steps carefully and got to the Jewels download, installed it and it worked on the first try. Jewels is a sweet lil game. I'm probably going to download the Oxford Dictionary next - what a boring guy I am!
    Well read and educated does not equal "boring".

One question though: I assume that the PB switched off development mode by itself cuz it's off now and I didn't switch it off. Just assuming this is ok and not a mistake I may have made. I don't really know what the significance of developer mode is... just that I needed to set it as part of your process.

Excellent work!!! Let's hope RIM releases the official version soon so all the rest of the android apps will work on the PB!!!
    Development mode will turn off if you restart the PB and also expires after some time if it is just left on. Go ahead and enable it and you'll see it says it expires in 10 days.

also wondering about the links for downloading shown in the apps thread (listing android apps known to work right now in this version of the PB android-player... some of those apps are paid apps - if you click the link on the PB, how does that work?
    The .apk files are as is. Shall we leave it at that?
    08-08-11 11:46 PM
    Is there any way to have stand alone icon for a downloaded Market app appear on the PlayBook? I've got the Android App loader running great (thanks HaTax!) but would ultimately like to have separate icons for each downloaded app.

Probably just need to wait on RIM
    I haven't seen any way this would be possible yet. I could see RIM maybe enabling some sort of app shortcut system on the home screen that might just link back to the app player.
    08-08-11 11:48 PM
233 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD