I don't see a download in the misc/android folder and it won't let me add one
    First open the android app player the folder will be created after the first boot.
    08-07-11 02:27 AM
    mine says name:download size:0 bytes permissions:d-- device free size:56.27 G
    The one that is capitalized says name: Download size:0 bytes permissions:drw
    08-07-11 02:31 AM
    mine says name:download size:0 bytes permissions:d-- device free size:56.27 G
    That's a problem, means you don't have read or write access to that directory inside the player. Try deleting that folder from the file share using wifi sharing or usb. You can re-create it in the share again, but it's permissions may still be off. Try creating that folder inside Astro once and see what happens.

I'm going to take a peek quick here and see if permissions are different if usb or wifi is used when creating it...
    08-07-11 02:32 AM
    That's a problem, means you don't have read or write access to that directory inside the player. Try deleting that folder from the file share using wifi sharing or usb. You can re-create it in the share again, but it's permissions may still be off. Try creating that folder inside Astro once and see what happens.

I'm going to take a peek quick here and see if permissions are different if usb or wifi is used when creating it...
    I can't see the download folder in the misc/android dir using wifi sharing or connected via usb
    Last edited by rholford; 08-07-11 at 02:44 AM.
    08-07-11 02:35 AM
    Ive got logcat running, not seeing anything in the log around the time I try to download something that would indicate an error
    Update: looks like I get a D/SntpClient(7110778): request time failed: java.net.socketexception: invalid argument
    NARva likes this.
    08-07-11 02:46 AM
    Well, if I create a new folder manually over the wifi share, Astro lists the permissions as read and write. I was able to delete the new folder inside Astro as well.

Over usb I got the same results, was able to read, write and delete from within Astro. So it seems there's no difference, but for sure permissions are wrong if you don't see "drw" listed.

Try to delete that folder any way you can, because the alternative kind of stinks. If it's created with the "d--" permissions I'm thinking Market it created it itself. Also, if it is "d--" don't delete the player before you try to delete that folder from Astro! If you re-install it, the folder will belong to the old instance of Android player and you'll have a hard time getting rid of it... The "ugly" option is, you can change it's name from within Astro to something like "zdownload-old". (That will keep it at the bottom of the list.) Then once it's renamed, go create it from the share side again manually.
    08-07-11 02:53 AM
    Update: looks like I get a D/SntpClient(7110778): request time failed: java.net.socketexception: invalid argument
    Yeah, that's a normal error. It's the time client complaining that it couldn't connect to a time server. Times are all screwy inside the Android player... FWIW it doesn't seem to hurt anything, it's just irritating for everyone outside of GMT.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 08-07-11 at 03:23 AM.
    rholford likes this.
    08-07-11 02:54 AM
    Well, if I create a new folder manually over the wifi share, Astro lists the permissions as read and write. I was able to delete the new folder inside Astro as well.

Over usb I got the same results, was able to read, write and delete from within Astro. So it seems there's no difference, but for sure permissions are wrong if you don't see "drw" listed.

Try to delete that folder any way you can, because the alternative kind of stinks. If it's created with the "d--" permissions I'm thinking Market it created it itself. Also, if it is "d--" don't delete the player before you try to delete that folder from Astro! If you re-install it, the folder will belong to the old instance of Android player and you'll have a hard time getting rid of it... The "ugly" option is, you can change it's name from within Astro to something like "zdownload-old". (That will keep it at the bottom of the list.) Then once it's renamed, go create it from the share side again manually.
    It won't let me delete the folder apparently because of the permissions... but it did let me move it! Woohoo! I moved it into the Download folder and created a new folder and named it download, it has the drw permissions. I just downloaded the jewels game and it installed successfully! Praise the Lord!

Thanks HaTaX for all of your help!!! Hopefully this will help someone else as well!
    08-07-11 02:59 AM
    HaTaX,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to put this together for us. Your video was a sinch to follow.

Regarding the hanging download issues, guys keep in mind Android market uses non-standard tcp/udp ports for communcations. As such, make sure your firewalls (assuming your wireless network passes through a firewall device), allows for 5228 tcp and udp to be open from your wireless network segment out onto the internet.

I ran into the same issues after following HaTaX's guide... made a few changes to the outbound firewall rules and my pending applications began to download and install without additional issues. I had three pending, too.

Be sure 5228/tcp and udp are open, and you should be all good.

Update:

I've noticed additional TCP ports that may need opening beyond 5228 for the market. In addition to 5228, my firewall is registering hits to 5223/tcp, 16386/udp, and (for IMAP connections, e.g. gmail), 143/imap, all during downloads from the market. You'll want to consider opening these ports as well.
    Last edited by rathergood; 08-07-11 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Additional info.
    HaTaX and 4wheel like this.
    08-07-11 03:04 AM
    It won't let me delete the folder apparently because of the permissions... but it did let me move it! Woohoo! I moved it into the Download folder and created a new folder and named it download, it has the drw permissions. I just downloaded the jewels game and it installed successfully! Praise the Lord!

Thanks HaTaX for all of your help!!! Hopefully this will help someone else as well!
    Glad that fixed it for you! I remember that from V1 that the permissions can be tricky and if Market is allowed to create that folder, it's going to have issues. I've updated the OP with a bold warning to let everyone know that's an important step. Thanks for working through it with me. I added this to the list of resolutions for the issue in the OP as well.

Anyone else with the Insufficient Storage Space error should give the above a shot and see if it works for them.

HaTaX,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to put this together for us. Your video was a sinch to follow.

Regarding the hanging download issues, guys keep in mind Android market uses non-standard tcp/udp ports for communcations. As such, make sure your firewalls (assuming our WLAN passes through a firewall device), allows for 5228 tcp and udp to be open from your wireless network (WLAN).

I ran into the same issues after following HaTaX's guide... made a few changes to the outbound firewall rules and my pending applications began to download and installed. I had three pending, too.

Be sure 5228/tcp and udp are open, and you should good.
    Great advice! Didn't even think of that one... I added it to the list of resolutions for stalled downloads. Thanks!
    rholford and Nikeem24 like this.
    08-07-11 03:14 AM
    Great job HaTaX.. now all I need is for Tmo to get the 9860...
    08-07-11 04:56 AM
    hello,

after following all the steps, I can't start the market, each time it says " an error has occured, please try later"
    08-07-11 05:00 AM
    Hey, thanks for the great guide on this one. I've got it all working first time round on my PB.

I also installed with the intention of it not working correctly (after seeing the other posts) and ended up with a few permission errors writing to directories, fixed by doing the following: extract the zip folder on your PC and then copy and paste the contents onto the PB via the USB cable(COPY and NOT CUT), copying and pasting will not inherit permissions and should not render the folders unusable. Missing the download folder? connect to the PC vis USB and manually create the folder in the relevant directory - should solve that one.

Thanks again for the excellent guide.
    08-07-11 05:31 AM
    hello,

after following all the steps, I can't start the market, each time it says " an error has occured, please try later"
    Ok, I got it working but now I'm at the same point as other, downloading is hanging.

in sd card, I have 2 folders named "downloads" first one I already had (I used it to install apps with astro before) second one I guess is the one you asked to add. should I delete one ?
    08-07-11 06:11 AM
    Is gmail working properly for everyone?

I cannot read emails. All my mail is present. I can send email too. But, when I try to read an email, the message appears to pop up in a flash and then close. If it is a new email, it does not change from unread to read. So, there is some obstacle about viewing email for me.

This happened with the old version of the install also. I did a complete reinstallation of the bar file and it still happens.

Any ideas?
    08-07-11 07:23 AM
    same here, sort of a flash ans it goes back
    08-07-11 08:21 AM
    First like to say a big thanks to you HaTaX

secondly, everything works fine until i try to sync my gmail account, it just comes up with "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server"

anybody have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
    08-07-11 08:38 AM

This work well for me. Thanks Guys
    08-07-11 09:31 AM
    First like to say a big thanks to you HaTaX

secondly, everything works fine until i try to sync my gmail account, it just comes up with "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server"

anybody have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance
    I had exactly the same problem and spent a couple of hours tring to resolve it, mostly rebooting Playbook/Android Player and trying my various Google accounts. Then I decided to uninstall Twitter (which probably caused the problem in the first place) and this did the trick for me.
    08-07-11 10:07 AM
    Hatax - THANKS! Installed on an existing Android player install and it works great! I had to do the rename download folder workaround, but other than that, no problems. You rock!
    08-07-11 11:06 AM
    works PERFECT thanks for all the hard work.
    08-07-11 11:13 AM

I was having the same issues you were and moving the old "download" file to "Download" worked!
    08-07-11 01:03 PM
    This is weird, was able to download two-three applications but then after a while I got the issue of it hanging on "downloading application"..tried a couple things but doesn't seem to work now.

**Update**
    A reboot to the PlayBook seemed to fix it. This is buggy software after all.. :/
    Last edited by blackberry-pimp; 08-07-11 at 01:48 PM.
    08-07-11 01:38 PM
    FIRst I wonna say thanks for taking the time to create these instructions....

I think I did everything correctly, APLAYER and my email is working. But, when I go to browser and type the sdcarfile astro address thingy, nothing pops up.

It says "The requested file was not found. /sdcard/apks/astro.apk (no such directory)" Any clue on why?

UPDATE: I see the astro.apk in the APK folder on my pc in the Misc file but for some rason my PB doesnt havent installed.maybe I didnt install it correctly?
    Last edited by IvanAMANation; 08-07-11 at 01:41 PM.
    08-07-11 01:38 PM
    This is weird, was able to download two-three applications but then after a while I got the issue of it hanging on "downloading application"..tried a couple things but doesn't seem to work now.
    Restart the entire PB, go back into the Android player when rebooted and then let it sit for a minute or two to settle in. Then go back to Market and see what happens. This has cleared it up for me every time I've run into that.

I've noticed sometimes the "low memory killer" stops some of the background google services and it takes a reboot to bring them back to life. Doesn't happen too often, and its more likely to occur when you're loading and trying lots of different apps.
    08-07-11 01:44 PM
233 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD