Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
Like Tree14Likes
  1. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Android Apps on a PB?? Are you kidding?

    Good morning....I have sideloaded many prior to version 2, and continue to do so...I have also found and downloaded some apps from Appworld that are android conversions as well.

    The consistent theme is that although they may be great apps on an Android, they do not work proper on a Playbook....NONE of them.

    Who can honestly say they haven't had to reboot their playbook because of an Android app freezing....nobody.

    The main reason I bought and kept this thing was the promise of good quality Android apps.

    Sure you can load them, you can't multi-task them like native pb apps, you can't update them, e-readers can't find your books in the "book" section, you can't do anything....it is quite clearly just a hack.

    I expected much more.
  2. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 3:
    goku_vegeta (04-06-2012),  llllBULLSEYE (04-07-2012) 
    JakePNEFC likes this.
  3. goku_vegeta's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,809 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,855 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B1173CD
    #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    Agreed,

    To the OP, I use multiple Android apps, both from App World and sideloaded, they never have given me problems.
  4. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

    Default

    I'm sorry....I just don't believe. Try Words With Friends, or any of the e-readers out there.
    Thanked by:
    farside33 (04-06-2012) 
  5. lockedtight's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    315 Posts
    PIN
    32fbc26f
    #5  

    Default

    I use several, none of them have ever locked up my playbook. I do agree there aren't as many well known premium android apps as I originally expected but all the ones I've used out of the app world have worked properly and served there purpose.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
  6. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Wow...surprised thus far. Do any of you have e-readers? If so, how do you resolve where the Android app looks for the files? You cannot access Android file system from Playbook file Manager and visa versa...

    You cannot have an Android App opened, and switch to another and leave the other one still running without losing the current info...ie, a web page.

    Why wouldn't these things be configured to be seamless? Same gestures, etc.

    Its like we have to learn two types of commands now.
  7. swimberry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    4 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    I've definitely had my playbook lock down on words with friends at least once a week (complete lockdown- it freezes up and has to be restarted about every 2-3 moves). It has also locked down on my twice while playing modern warfare.

    Sucks....
  8. howarmat's Avatar

    Posts
    22,838 Posts
    Global Posts
    23,396 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39
    #8  

    Default

    Yeah words has crashed the Android player for me too
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  9. thezooca's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    28 Posts
    #9  

    Default Lots of crashes...

    Like mentioned many apps crash or don't work 100% because of the inability to access the file system or the camera, etc. A good example is Words with Friends that decided this morning there was a newer version and forces me to a browser to update it which obviously we can't do. So until someone grabs the newer APK I can't play that.

    I signed some APKs to try out and got about 10% success with stuff I would have used like banking apps, business card readers, etc. On the game side, what I tried usually works but not as good as the original platform it is made for unless the devs that wrote it actually ported it to the native playbook os. And yes, I've had games that forced me to fully reboot the playbook but I've also had that a few times with native stuff too.

    Bottom like, emulator is a stop gap and will likely never be much more. Unless it is in the native ecosystem we will not be fully satisfied. So it you like the playbook for what it does and does well, accept that as I did. If you want Android apps or even iOs ones, buy another tablet on those platforms and appreciate how good it will work there.

    Zoo
  10. dave_2611's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darin3000 View Post
    Good morning....I have sideloaded many prior to version 2, and continue to do so...I have also found and downloaded some apps from Appworld that are android conversions as well.

    The consistent theme is that although they may be great apps on an Android, they do not work proper on a Playbook....NONE of them.

    Who can honestly say they haven't had to reboot their playbook because of an Android app freezing....nobody.

    The main reason I bought and kept this thing was the promise of good quality Android apps.

    Sure you can load them, you can't multi-task them like native pb apps, you can't update them, e-readers can't find your books in the "book" section, you can't do anything....it is quite clearly just a hack.

    I expected much more.
    All the android apps i use work great. Never had a problem with them. Tweetcaster, Isilo, Carcassonne. No problems what so ever. So your statement all android apps dont work is not true
    Dave
    Playbook 32 gig
    Torch 9800

    Love em both
  11. dave_2611's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    150 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I also use windows live messenger with no problems also
    Dave
    Playbook 32 gig
    Torch 9800

    Love em both
  12. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darin3000 View Post
    I'm sorry....I just don't believe. Try Words With Friends, or any of the e-readers out there.
    No thanks, I'm not interested in those. They may well crash, I don't know.

    I don't run Android apps much, but it's a simple fact that I've had no crash requiring me to reboot with the 3-4 that I've used for more than a few minutes.

    I suppose when you say nobody can honestly say that, or that you don't believe it, you perhaps meant just "Wow, I'm surprised" or "Oh good, so it may depend on the app" or something, since I assure you I gain nothing by lying about the matter.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    russnash likes this.
  13. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    I guess my point is that it is hit and miss....and the one's that work are in a different environment than native playbook apps. This was misleading from the onset.

    The native playbook apps work flawlessly, and the playbook itself with multi-tasking, etc. is the best out there...

    The Android app piece just seems to take away from all that...square peg, round hole with a bit of duct tape.
    fanatical likes this.
  14. saint613's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    297 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Two issues here
    1. Side loaded apps - not endorsed or expected to work by RIM.
    2. Apps converted by developer and submitted to app world.

    For the first, suck it up muffins you hack and play expect it to fook up.

    As for the second CONTACT THE VENDOR and post the results of your interactions here, at least put that much effort into it instead of coming strait here and whining "nothing works". These threads are getting annoying and have zero value. Change your diapers and go back to your moms basement.
    kbz1960 and fanatical like this.
  15. chrispipe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    444 Posts
    PIN
    two eight four one one eff four four
    #15  

    Default

    actually, I am able to multi-task android apps without losing data. you do it within the android player (not in the PB gui). swipe down from the top and your recent/opened apps icons show at the bottom. i have no issue switching between dolphin browser on a webpage and dropbox or google maps via the player. sure its not as pretty as the playbooks native app switching, but the functionality is there (for me anyway... can someone else confirm it DOESNT work?)

    possibly another case of derps syndrome.

    we see you trollin... we hatin...

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  16. GregD31's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Try using Air Browser, (free app) you can access Android and
    PB files with it. As for the apps, it won't work flawlessly when Android apps were designed to operate on Android systems, but it gives RIM some time to get additional developers engaged in producing more native apps for the PB while appeasing everyone that was unhappy with the minimal selection of App World choices. Overall PB is a great tablet, just needs some good os tweaks and more quality apps!
    Red Sox Nation Member
  17. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Chrispipe:

    Trolling? I have no other devices besides Blackberry...never have.

    Just because somebody calls out an honest opinion that isn't putting the Playbook on a pedestal is not trolling!!....dork!
  18. Deathcommand's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,172 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,186 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me if you want/need it.
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    don't get cocky. I've had to so many times and I'm running Vanilla. (No sideloading)

    And no. Not all apps work.
    Love, Death
    Proud member of OpenSourceBB.com
    If I helped you or made you smile, Click the Thanks or Like button! Or both!
    Need a DropBox? 2GB is free! http://db.tt/vTAa8cw
    Click here to give me an Internet!
  19. balding1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Been running android apps since beta, never once I had to reboot.
    Few of them might have frozen or force closed but never a re-boot.
    Just went my merry way doing something else and back to normal.
  20. fast666's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    I have some issues with android apps. They dont work as smooth as native apps but most of them work fine. I have NEVER needed to reboot my PB, just close the app and reload thats it. I hope that RIM is taking care of minor bugs in the android apps. I just played Sudoku in an android app and it worked perfectly well, another one Dooqu paint worked great. Try Berry tester which will tell you everything about your PB, however on some screens you cannot go back to main menu.
  21. berrydroidapple's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    57 Posts
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    PIN
    31470937
    #21  

    Default

    I have had some freeze ups on Playbook because of an app or two, but I've had apps freeze or act weird on my iPod Touch 4G, rooted Nook Color CM7, Curve 8530, Toshiba laptop. My Grand AM (recently sold) had some funky days with lock system, job disappeared, and my body has an issue with these freaking Cancer cells that keep coming back.

    So you see there's always a flaw, but we keep reaching for better.

    P.S. Don't forget the Titanic LOL
    You Create Your Reality
    jaydee5799 and saint613 like this.
  22. darin3000's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    70 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #22  

    Default

    Way to put it into perspective Kevin....Good luck!!
    Thanked by:
    berrydroidapple (04-07-2012) 
  23. papped's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    15,881 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,128 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I have android apps that lock up and are unusable on one android device that work perfectly fine on another.

    Not entirely surprising to have that happen on an entirely different platform running their own port of the dalvik vm...
  24. dave1701's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    478 Posts
    PIN
    No BBM
    #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter9477 View Post
    I have not had to reboot my PlayBook because of an Android app freezing. Not once.
    Boy you sure are lucky.
    GIT-R-DONE
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
  25. chrispipe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    444 Posts
    PIN
    two eight four one one eff four four
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darin3000 View Post
    Chrispipe:



    Trolling? I have no other devices besides Blackberry...never have.



    Just because somebody calls out an honest opinion that isn't putting the Playbook on a pedestal is not trolling!!....dork!
    hey no need for name calling lol i was just playin around






    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions