Will the new 2.1 release support more android apps - by which i mean will some that previously didnt work, now start to work or will there be no change?
    10-03-12 04:19 AM
    most wont see any difference. If the android app uses the camera it might work now but otherwise there wont be change
    10-03-12 04:24 AM
    Back in May this was the list of new features listed for 2.1 beta

There are three major enhancements to the Android™ Runtime in 2.1.0:

Each Android app will now run in its own window. This greatly improves the user experience and consistency among the other application runtimes.
    Access to the Camera hardware is now supported for Android apps, allowing many more application types to work on the BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet.
    In-App Payment is now supported through the BlackBerry Payment SDK, so Android applications can include virtual items for sale in their applications.
    10-03-12 04:29 AM
    that's what i thought. thanks for the replies!
    10-03-12 04:49 AM
    So, if i had an app that didnt work on .668 it still wont work on the new OS,right?
    10-03-12 05:04 AM
    it would seem that way unless potentially it needed use of the camera in which case it may now work.
    10-03-12 07:28 AM
    So, if i had an app that didnt work on .668 it still wont work on the new OS,right?
    You never know.. iReader used to work at somepoint.. then it broke with an update and hasn't worked since..
    So most likely it won't work but always worth a try..
    10-03-12 08:11 AM
    I have a game that would love to play but it even if it "works"(opens) it just stays in black screen with a moving circle. I have left it to "load" for a while but has always stayed the same. Let's hope it works...
    10-03-12 08:19 AM
    There was talk from RIM, at one point, of blocking android sideloading in 2.1. As an anti-piracy measure. All new android stuff would need to be installed through AppWorld, already installed android apps would remain. Just wondering if they did that, since most android stuff hasn't made it into appworld, yet. And a few would "go south", requiring a sideloading reinstall to get them working, again.
    10-03-12 09:10 AM
    There was talk from RIM, at one point, of blocking android sideloading in 2.1. As an anti-piracy measure. All new android stuff would need to be installed through AppWorld, already installed android apps would remain. Just wondering if they did that, since most android stuff hasn't made it into appworld, yet. And a few would "go south", requiring a sideloading reinstall to get them working, again.
    RIM clarified that it was never their intention to do that..
    10-03-12 11:47 AM
    They have confirmed with me a few times they have something in the works but are still "ironing it out".

I have emails from senior folks at RIM that say the same thing:

The change will involve installing through AppWorld and Sideloading as we know it today will be gone.

I also have emails saying it wouldnt be in OS 2.1 but is in the works.

I havent seen anything from RIM saying they wont do it.

But thats just my two cents.
    10-03-12 04:22 PM
    Soooo. Instagram?
    10-03-12 04:50 PM
    sideloading on 2.1.0.1032 works well

now loaded(with DDPB) AngryBirdsHD and working fine
    10-04-12 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD