While I think it is awesome that the PB will be able to run virtually any Android App, can some explain why Google can't/won't take RIM to court and sue?
    07-27-11 05:47 PM
    While I think it is awesome that the PB will be able to run virtually any Android App, can some explain why Google can't/won't take RIM to court and sue?
    Some lawguy will be along shortly...perhaps they will have a licensing agreement...but why would the big GOOG grant that to compete with themselves? Maybe it's the some kind of thing as developing for Linux - its an OS and the software people dont get sued for developing s/w on it...android player can kind of be seen as an OS - they aren't stealing the OS, just using the same s/w that was developed for it...Im just speculating...
    I was wondering the same about sideloading android apps....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-27-11 at 05:53 PM.
    07-27-11 05:49 PM
    They have some kind of agreement, with the android app market, RIM would not make money, if they do it will be very little, the purchases go to Google and they make the profit, smart on Google, more customers equals more money.
    07-27-11 05:53 PM
    the american way of getting things done
    07-27-11 05:53 PM
    Blackjack is on the right track.

The OS is open source, so the source code is available online, free of charge, to the public. I don't think there are any legal issues at large, and there definitely may be an agreement somewhere.

In a very broad sense, Google competes indirectly through attaining market share of tablet operating systems. It's really the other hardware makers who use android as their tablet OS who are competing directly.
    07-27-11 05:55 PM
    Android is open source so basically RIM can use it if they want. The Google Market may get locked out on the PB though. I sure Haxta may find away around that too.

Unless Google & RIM come to some sort of agreement then RIM won't be able to market the PB as having Google Market access or certain google apps but that won't stop people from trying to hack it on there
    Last edited by Daps; 07-27-11 at 06:08 PM.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    07-27-11 05:59 PM
    what you see now is basically a hacked way to make ANYTHING work and not the way it will be in the end. My guess is all the loopholes that have been found and sideloading will be taken away when it becomes official. Its way to easy to "pirate" the android apps and load them right now.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-27-11 06:01 PM

Android is open source released by Google.
    so Google can do nothing against RIM unless they stop it from being open source but that will only apply on the new versions of the Android not the current ones.

07-27-11 06:08 PM
    The os is open source there is nothing illegal in what RIM is doing, the Android Marketplace in the current leak is a hack, if anything google should be suing us for unauthorized use of its marketplace.
    07-27-11 06:12 PM
    But that would be like arresting someone that came into your store to buy something because they littered in the parking lot. Why would you go after people that bring you money? If there's even one person who buys something in the marketplace, Google wins.

As far as the hackery, I'm going to stay hush on all of it. However, I'll make a thread soon that brings a voice to RIM on the subject from us. (Hopefully) I'd like to see the Android Player released with a "switch" that we can flip like development mode so we can get into it and have the same window into the system as we do now. And actually, if they want developers to port over apps, they have to give them a way to test it. There isn't much stopping us from using a BAR file to deploy an APK on the PB as it sits now...Lots of knowledge learned with this release, and it's not wise to go posting everything you find .
    07-27-11 06:20 PM
    Because it is open source and free for anyone to use. Google can't sue them for it, or they could but wouldn't have a case. RIM could be sued by Apple or MS though like the Android OEM's are for infringement, but I think that MS and RIM are on good terms, and I don't think Apple will mind if RIM uses Google's stuff to stick it Google.
    07-27-11 06:24 PM
    Open source software is still licensed, just under a license with open source terms. So, RIM would still need to comply with the underlying open source license from Google. It's not freeware or public domain software that can be used by anyone in any way whatsoever.
    07-27-11 06:41 PM
    I thought the deal was they would have to recode the apps, maybe minimal effort, before they would run on the BB version of Android. Anyway that was my understanding which would mean they are not android apps anymore. Regardless I was blown away when I saw it running as an app. That was cool.
    07-27-11 06:45 PM
    who in the world would take such a movement without conscent of the legal dev?
    07-27-11 06:55 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM and Google had some sort of agreement regarding the Android app player. Am I mistaken in this?
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    07-27-11 07:54 PM
    No need for an agreement as noted by other posters, it's open source, you can use it for anything you want pretty much. No chance of a lawsuit, just good times for Playbook and QNX phone users!
    07-27-11 08:44 PM
    rims legal department is very careful... i doubt they would have allowed it unless they combed through every EULA / legal documents on andriod before its deployment.... if you actually look rim is the only big 5 telcom company that never sues others for patent infringments but gets sued... they are actually the 'nice' ones.. probably cus they are canadian eh? lol
    07-27-11 08:45 PM
    I was under the impression that RIM and Google had some sort of agreement regarding the Android app player. Am I mistaken in this?
    i am sorry but it seams yes, they have no agreements because A droid is already open-source.
    07-27-11 09:08 PM
    First, IIRC, they weren't going to use the Dalvik VM that Android uses because it may be tied to some of the Oracle patent mess. Instead they were going to write their own VM, which is where the apps run. So they aren't taking anything from Android.

Secondly, the Dev's are the ones making apps, Google has no claim on their software output. Just like anyone can make and sell an application for Windows, the dev's are free to repackage their wares.

Third, the reason Google makes Android and then GIVES IT AWAY is to generate search and web traffic that feeds their core business. Just like the reason they make a bunch of good BB apps already. Selling a bunch of Android phones is great, but if someone isn't going to buy one, why wouldn't you still want their traffic from their platform of choice? I wouldn't be surprised to see Google be the one to open up the Android App market to RIM and QNX...
    07-27-11 09:19 PM
    RIM actually pays to use Java. So the way I understand it RIM can use it no problem. Google is only being sued because they felt paying for the license fee would be more expensive than paying for the resulting legal issues that would follow from not paying the fees. Kinda like when your a kid. They thought it would be better to pay for forgiveness than pay for permission.
    07-27-11 09:30 PM
    Like others have said, Android 2.3.3 is completely open source and RIM has a 'proper' license for JAVA. There is no chance of Google or Oracle going after them in court. RIM is actally in a better position than anyone else because they already license/cross license the patents that Microsoft is suing the Android hardware makers over so there's even no chance of that.

As always, there is the fear of patent trolls, but those cases can be dragged out for years if the patents don't get invalidated first.
    07-27-11 10:08 PM
    No issues or bogus law suits.

on 7/25/2011, RIM has made it a news item on how to get Android apps on PB (Android Player for PB) using BBHTool.
    RIM also mentioned about tbe leaked android player installation method.

refer BlackberryOS.com news item

sso it is unofficially official now.
    07-27-11 10:34 PM

on 7/25/2011, RIM has made it a news item on how to get Android apps on PB (Android Player for PB) using BBHTool.

So it is unofficially official now.
    07-27-11 10:36 PM

So it is unofficially official now.
    BlackberryOS.com does NOT belong to RIM, nor does that site reference what you are talking about (ie. RIM telling devs how to sideload Android Player). Please provide proof.
    07-27-11 10:46 PM
    i know people are gonna get upset at this comment but i gotta say it... having the android app on the PB for me is like saying 'oh you dont like the PB's OS so here have Google's instead'. I feel that useing the Android App is, in a way, turing your back on the PB and turing it into a 7" Android Tablet. If you want an Android tablet go out and buy one dont warp the PB into one....and now come the hate comments LOL.... oh FYI i sell the PB and im defending it everyday to non believers so dont think im a hater cause im not
    07-27-11 11:07 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD