Anyone else tried out the Al Jazeera app yet? It is well done app, features are really good. It is a great example of how some of these other major news organizations could really make an app as well. Admittedly I have never watched al jazeera but their international news isn't to bad. Only complaint is the video is not yet in HD.
    09-06-11 08:33 PM
    Anyone else tried out the Al Jazeera app yet? It is well done app, features are really good. It is a great example of how some of these other major news organizations could really make an app as well. Admittedly I have never watched al jazeera but their international news isn't to bad. Only complaint is the video is not yet in HD.
    Yeah, i tweeted about it yesterday. It really is the best designed news app out there. It works really really well. Im not a fan on the organization, but their app is top notch.
    09-06-11 10:13 PM
    Yeah. It's quite a good app!
    09-07-11 12:23 AM
    I agree with the others, this is a well organised application and others should follow suit.
    09-07-11 09:55 AM
    Now all of the sudden I lost the live feed. Anyone else?
    09-07-11 04:25 PM
    Just downloaded it and no live feed either.
    09-07-11 05:34 PM
    Sent an email to support, see if they can get it fixed.

***Fixed****
    Last edited by smertz; 09-07-11 at 09:40 PM.
    09-07-11 07:55 PM
    the app just hangs and says loading - forever.
    any clues?

i uninstalled and reinstalled the app.
    i have good internet.
    09-18-11 04:23 PM
    thanks for the heads up on the app. downloaded it after reading op and really like it. live feeds are working for me.
    09-18-11 08:32 PM
    I believe from the feedback I got from them that they are consistently working on the mechanics of this app and that is why there are intermittent issues. I notice some days full screen video and some days it is boxed. Still the best news app out there. Wish CNN or someone would make an app like this.
    09-19-11 06:00 AM
    I'm not a fan of their organization either, but having worked at two other similar European and U.S. based news agencies, Al Jazeera is credible, they do a good job. I have been RSS'ing them into Google Reader for over a year. Thanks will check App out!!
    Agree that it is a great app!
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-27-12 at 02:35 PM. Reason: removed off topic comments
    09-19-11 09:02 AM
    Yep +1 on Al Jazeera app

Still undecided on their content but definitely makes for interesting viewing/reading - and yes they are definitely on the credible list.
    09-19-11 09:46 AM
    +1 on Al Jazeera app. It is the best news app I have found op the Playbook. Best organized and very good content.
    01-26-12 11:24 AM
    best news app ive ever seen. Cant believe they actually have live streaming.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-27-12 at 02:36 PM. Reason: removed off topic comments
    01-27-12 12:04 AM
    Forget the politics and all that BS....as an app, this is awesome!
    01-27-12 12:07 AM
    sweeet app!
    01-27-12 12:31 PM
    Thanks for the recommendation. I checked it out last night and it's pretty great. I just wish there was some way to see how long the video segments are. The only options I see are volume and back.
    01-27-12 12:38 PM
    Let's focus on the app, and leave the comments on content off the forum.
    01-27-12 02:39 PM
    I met yesterday one of the lead manager for apps at all jazeera, and of course I asked him how come there is an app for the PlayBook. He was very interested to actually meet someone who owned one and used the app.

He told me that actually, rim and al jazeera were working on the app and financed it. That without the financial incentives there would pbly not have been an app. This confirms what we know that rim actually engage with major developers to get their app on the PB. Now what happened to negotiations with BBC and CNN is so far a mystery.

Also the manager mentioned that an improved app is on the way and should be released this month.
    02-05-12 02:53 AM
    To the m*** who criticise all jazeera content without of course never having watched it and just flat out use prejudice and pre conceived ideas.... AJ is actually an important instrument for change and democracy in the region. So I suggest before criticising to actually reads few stories and watch the shows live before speaking
    02-05-12 02:57 AM
    This is definitely the best news app for PB ...!! Reading the news article is so fluid that it seems a real newspaper.
    02-05-12 08:40 AM
    I think a lot (if not all) of you who commented on Al Jazeera's content are from North America where they don't have as much reach. Worldwide, they are gaining an increasing amount of respect.
    Their content isn't biased and as opposed to BBC and CNN they have far more reporters on the ground so don't rely so much on wire footage or PR information. I don't know what it's like in Canada but in Britain most people can watch their channel - I know USA isn't the same.
    In fact, I was at a seminar at the Reuters Institute of Journalists on Wednesday, where the International Editor of Channel 4 News (IMO, the best news in this country) and many others were praising Al Jazeera for their coverage of Libya. I think it's worth noting that Egyptian government were very quick to seize the Al Jazeera offices, revoke their license and arrest their journalists during the revolution.
    It's worth noting though, that Al Jazeera English and Al Jazeera Arabic are very different.

So...it's not just a really nice app - the content deserves to be looked at with an open mind.
    Lhendr likes this.
    02-05-12 08:53 AM
    Excellent app...one of three apps I use multiple times daily; quality of videos makes me think it's HD.
    02-05-12 09:17 AM
    Does the Al jazzera app screen foes blank(/black screen) after playing the LIVE video a couple of minutes. I was working fine a while ago, but nowadays the screen just goes blank after a couple of minutes. Any one else experiencing this or know of a way to get around it.
    02-15-12 07:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD