Hi folks,

Is there a proper app for the Playbook that can read PDFs? I'm not talking about the current Adobe Reader app, which is frankly embarrassing. Ok, it may be small (not bloatware), but it does zero more than view: NO search, NO bookmark, NO annotate.

These key features are essential to make the Playbook usable as a PDF viewing tool!

K
    01-18-12 08:38 AM
    At the moment that is what Rim offered and what we are stuck with. It is an embarrassing offering.

Those using the Developers' Beta have installed some Android apps that work better but there are drawbacks to using the beta.

We HOPE someone fixes stuff with the OS2 that is hopefully coming next month.
    01-18-12 09:23 AM
    The latest developer's beta (.6149) is very good and quite stable. Repligo reader is a zillion times better than the Playbook Adobe offering, in my opinion, and well worth the trouble of loading OS2 and sideloading Android apps.
    01-18-12 09:46 AM
    At least you know your adobe reader is awful....mine hasnt worked since day one. It drives me nuts when I cant view a document on my PB because of it.
    01-19-12 10:19 PM
    At least you know your adobe reader is awful....mine hasnt worked since day one. It drives me nuts when I cant view a document on my PB because of it.
    try security wipe ... i had the same prob ,,,, once i wiped out all the data .. and since then .. i am able to open pdf's in adobe reader ..

but backup ur data first
    01-20-12 11:28 AM
    The latest developer's beta (.6149) is very good and quite stable. Repligo reader is a zillion times better than the Playbook Adobe offering, in my opinion, and well worth the trouble of loading OS2 and sideloading Android apps.
    I agree that Repligo is way better than the adobe garbage that comes on the playbook
    01-20-12 12:39 PM
    try security wipe ... i had the same prob ,,,, once i wiped out all the data .. and since then .. i am able to open pdf's in adobe reader ..

but backup ur data first
    When yours wasnt working what was the problem you were having? Mine says file path is not valid.
    01-20-12 03:31 PM
    When yours wasnt working what was the problem you were having? Mine says file path is not valid.
    That generally means you have not set the permissions correctly.

On the Homepage icons, swipe down, use Gear/Options. Select Security, Find permissions and set Adobe to allow FILES.
    vpblaze likes this.
    01-20-12 05:41 PM
    F2!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!! You have no idea how happy I am now! I cant believe it was something so freaking simple!!! I have literally spent several hours online trying to fix it......something so so so so so simple.......
    01-20-12 06:06 PM
    That generally means you have not set the permissions correctly.

On the Homepage icons, swipe down, use Gear/Options. Select Security, Find permissions and set Adobe to allow FILES.
    Ive had mine set to allow since day one.. Ill say the majority of pdf files i can view but the ones I really want always give me the error cannot open file :/
    01-22-12 05:02 PM
    I have to confess that I don't think the PDF reader is that bad, it does what it says it does, opens and reads PDF files which is enough for most users of those files.
    I agree though for anyone doing serious reading its annoying not being able to search or bookmark.
    01-22-12 05:06 PM
    I have to confess that I don't think the PDF reader is that bad, it does what it says it does, opens and reads PDF files which is enough for most users of those files.
    I agree though for anyone doing serious reading its annoying not being able to search or bookmark.
    If it read "all" my .pdf files that i can easily read with any pc i try them with heh I personally dont mind it having no search or any options as i just use it for magazines.. I read that .pdf files can be made with a few types of encryption? or something... I figured maybee thats why it will read some fine and others not at all? I dunno honestly ive never had a use for pdf files before geting a playbook so im happy enough with what I can do now and the thought of this being improved on in the future
    01-22-12 06:41 PM
    Since reading Klinton's post I have been opening and closing PDF files downloaded from my PC. I have done about 10 of them that included lots of graphics (charts, scientific data and equations, etc) and have had no problem. Slow? Maybe. But not a problem. I guess I was not expecting software, in all cases, to be as powerful as what I have on my PC. It will probably improve with time.
    01-22-12 08:18 PM
    I just hope that when 2.0 does roll out, that foxit will port their pdf viewer over. They already have an android one, so it would be as simple as repackaging and submitting it. I'd pay the $3 for it.
    01-22-12 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD