Somebody needs to develop an Ad Blocker for the Playbook. Something that will eliminate the ad banners without having to disable Java or Flash. Seriously, nobody likes to see ads, and they interfere with the browsing experience. I'd gladly pay for a decent ad blocker.
    deltadiva2 likes this.
    10-06-11 01:34 PM
    totally agree, although I'm pretty sure the blackberry browser supports addons like typical desktop browsers do. We'd need a third party browser to be able to achieve that I think.
    10-06-11 01:37 PM
    If Rim just gave us access to the Hosts file, we could block a lot of the junk that way. Currently it is a read only file.
    10-06-11 01:38 PM
    If Rim just gave us access to the Hosts file, we could block a lot of the junk that way. Currently it is a read only file.
    One of the things I don't like about PlayBook is that it's locked down. With Linux and even Windows, you have the ability to be and administrator and set credentials as such.

Unix root user or Windows sysadmin/administrator accounts give you the ability to do anything you want with the files. Of course, if you don't know what you're doing you can brick your system and have to reinstall, but that's what backups and recovery are for, right?

If POS1 and soon POS2 would give us root to the QNX kernal, we could unlock files like this. But then it might become usable. And people might be able to code for it outside of RIMMs desire.
    10-06-11 02:30 PM
    interesting comment about addons. i would like an evernote addon!
    10-06-11 06:06 PM
    actually there is an app called "dont use internet"never worry about ads again.lol
    10-06-11 11:22 PM
    Any chance the pb has what other systems have - where what I'd call parallel folders containing files of the same name can append to the fixed or system files?
    10-07-11 12:03 AM
    Has anyone who has rooted taken a crack at this? 'Coz this is one thing that detracts from an otherwise first-in-class tablet browsing experience.
    01-20-12 08:09 PM
    Yup, SimpleBrowser+ has had AdBlocker (with custom import files) for quite a while. Just be cautious, the latest OS2 update causes some breaks with the browser in some cases. The developer is working on a fix though.

Edit: Here is a link to the app for ya'all: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst.../52192?lang=en
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-21-12 at 03:22 AM.
    HaTaX likes this.
    01-20-12 09:18 PM
    03-31-13 07:41 AM
    You could start by taking care of ads on your network by loading a DDWRT firmware on your router, and run one of the ad blocking scripts that are available.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

Obviously this won't keep ads away when you're on the go but, it's a great home network solution.
    My home network has been ad-free for months.
    04-01-13 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD