I think things are the wrong way around at the moment.

The iPad has loads of apps and a throttled web experience whereas the PlayBook has few apps and the 'full' web experience. I believe this is the wrong way around.

When I owned the iPad it annoyed me that I was encouraged to use apps and mobile sites despite the screen size allowing for comfortable full web viewing.

On the other hand I find the PlayBook to be an awkward size when viewing full websites, and I would far rather have simplified apps optimized for this screen size.

I'm not sure whether I would prefer Apple to build a ~7 inch device or RIM to build a 10 inch device, but at the moment I'm not sure there is really a device which meets my requirements.

What do you think? Personally I have been considering the Galaxy tab 7.7 but it doesn't look like it's ever going to be released!
    12-21-11 02:44 PM
    I agree with you on the web part. I love the portability of my PB but when I'm at home I find the 7" screen too small for my liking when surfing the web. My wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1 is so much more comfortable to view websites with.
    12-21-11 03:08 PM
    It is a correct observation. The smaller screen size, the more need for dedicated apps.
    12-21-11 04:07 PM
    Let's see, we now have Angry Birds, and then a 7" RIM like Apple iPad...that would prove to be too much for the naysayers.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-21-11 04:15 PM
    "On the other hand I find the PlayBook to be an awkward size when viewing full websites, and I would far rather have simplified apps optimized for this screen size"

I disagree

I go to sites like the NYTimes where, on the PB, I can see the full width of the pages in landscape mode. (Your comment is true in portrait mode).
    It is no big deal to scroll down a long page. I do this as well with my 20" PC monitor.

Many sites have m.company.com (mobile) device web pages anyway

The 7" +/- is an ideal size ... both the advanced Nook and Kindles are closer in size to a PB then an iFruit
    Last edited by mandony; 12-21-11 at 04:21 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-21-11 04:17 PM
    I just got my Playbook yesterday and I have done a lot of web browsing with it. I have not encountered any issues with any websites. I think the 7" screen is a great size between portability and usability. I also fine that it has a great screen quality wise, wish my computer monitor looked this good. I have nothing bad to say about this device.
    mandony, azrin640 and CDM76 like this.
    12-21-11 04:27 PM
    I often find the double tap gesture very useful for clicking and reading selected portions of webpages.. I will admit a larger size screen may eliminate this, I still prefer to have the smaller size in order to maintain the portability of the device.
    mandony likes this.
    12-21-11 04:29 PM
    For me, 7" = Gets used every day because it's easy to take anywhere.
    10" = Gets put on a shelf after the novelty wore off because it's not convenient to carry.

If I'm going to carry anything bigger than the Playbook I'll take an 11.6" Netbook or Laptop.
    12-21-11 04:29 PM
    I agree. Took our Netbook when we last traveled, but now will take the PB because of its portability and bridge.
    12-21-11 04:38 PM
    10" = Gets put on a shelf after the novelty wore off because it's not convenient to carry.

If I'm going to carry anything bigger than the Playbook I'll take an 11.6" Netbook or Laptop.
    Spot on.
    12-21-11 05:03 PM
    my hefty iconia a500 is a whole lot better than the largest macbook air when it comes to portability. no matter how thin and light an ultrabook is, once you open it up you have at least a 11.6 inch screen plus the keyboard area taking up space.
    12-21-11 05:07 PM

So well said !

The Playbook is just such a good device. I just don't understand the constant "Bashing" it gets.
    12-21-11 05:11 PM
    I wasn't really looking to debate 7 vs 10 inch, I think it's obviously what the benefits of each are in that respect.

I was more saying that if you're going to make a 7 inch tablet then you need to focus on apps and mobile sites than if you have a 10 inch tablet.

I guess Apple sees the future as a web-browser-free world and is really investing for the future with these apps.
    Serkle K likes this.
    12-21-11 05:31 PM
    So well said !

The Playbook is just such a good device. I just don't understand the constant "Bashing" it gets.
    It is more of RIM bashing for not doing right things for PB than PB bashing.

Between 7" and 10" screens, I would choose 10" any day for Web browsing. There's simply no replacement for a larger screen.

Now, 7" is much better for portability, thus the reason I purchased my PB.

It all depends on what you need the most - portability or comfort.
    12-21-11 05:35 PM
    I guess Apple sees the future as a web-browser-free world and is really investing for the future with these apps.
    its actually the opposite. apple wanted html5 web apps in the beginning when the original iphone came out. there were quite a few of them but thanks to the jailbreak community, the onset of native apps became a new driving force. its actually most likely going to go back to the way apple intended with the standardization of html5 along with jquery mobile etc etc now being popularized on mobile and the web.

phonegap and appcelerator are and will be huge players in cross-platform development. both utilize html5/js/etc rather than writing native code.

games on the other hand, will generally always require native app code.
    12-21-11 05:39 PM
    Apple will never make a 7 inch pad because they would have to admit they are a follower not a leader.

RIM will have to make a ten inch pad.

By the way - it is a lot easier for RIM to make a ten inch pad than for Apple to microsize their iPad as RIM has already done.

I do agree the playbook is awkward for web surfing - (horizontally fine - but vertically challenged in landscape) but very convenient when you need the web and don't want to carry the tablet around that Moses had to lug down from the mountain with the ten commandments.....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 06:06 PM.
    bluezone1 likes this.
    12-21-11 06:03 PM
    Anything larger than 7" for me has to be a full blown laptop. 10" device can't be pocketed. So either way you're carrying it in a bag whether it's a laptop or a tablet. Laptops do more than tablets, have more power, and far larger storage capacity. If I'm away from home for several days I bring my laptop. If not, I have my PB for day to day stuff.
    12-21-11 06:25 PM
    Anything larger than 7" for me has to be a full blown laptop. 10" device can't be pocketed. So either way you're carrying it in a bag whether it's a laptop or a tablet. Laptops do more than tablets, have more power, and far larger storage capacity. If I'm away from home for several days I bring my laptop. If not, I have my PB for day to day stuff.
    Frankly, 7" can't be pocketed either, unless you're wearing some winter coat.

If you have to carry a single device for few days, that would have to be a laptop.

Tablets are not intended as a replacement of laptop yet, largely because of lack of keyboard.

Advantages of tablets are longer battery life (significantly so than most laptops focused on portability), instant-on, simple usage model.

In fact, at home I don't use my laptop at all anymore. I have both PB and IPad2 that handles the task my laptop used to handle.

If I really need a computer at home/work, I just use my desktop.
    12-21-11 06:31 PM
    I just got my Playbook yesterday and I have done a lot of web browsing with it. I have not encountered any issues with any websites. I think the 7" screen is a great size between portability and usability. I also fine that it has a great screen quality wise, wish my computer monitor looked this good. I have nothing bad to say about this device.
    Ditto. Well said.
    12-21-11 06:36 PM
    So well said !

It gets a bashing because it isn't a 'good' device to many users and lacks simple functionality that should have shipped as basic on day one.

Think what could have happened... instead of RIM having to fix these issues with rewrite of the OS... they could have done the job right first time... and then spend that time making that OS more than just functional for February but exceptional and beyond what everyone could have expected.

Like you device if it works for you. That's important but let's not pretend that it has been a fully functional tablet that lives up to RIMs launch tag line of 'The World's First Professional Grade Tablet'.
    12-21-11 06:36 PM
    Apple will never make a 7 inch pad because they would have to admit they are a follower not a leader.

RIM will have to make a ten inch pad.

By the way - it is a lot easier for RIM to make a ten inch pad than for Apple to microsize their iPad as RIM has already done.

I do agree the playbook is awkward for web surfing - (horizontally fine - but vertically challenged in landscape) but very convenient when you need the web and don't want to carry the tablet around that Moses had to lug down from the mountain with the ten commandments.....
    Apple will have a scaled down Ipad... Jobs didn't want it but the team behind him did.

The Ipad in many respects is a scaled up Iphone, same OS and technology. So scaling down is not an issue, they will scale up.

It is also easier for Apple due to having a working OS, support, sales, income and an army of fans in the wings to buy it.

RIM would be nuts to venture in the release of a 10" when the 7" is still to this day an incomplete product.

For the record, I own a PB and not a single Apple product.
    12-21-11 06:41 PM
    Great conversation everyone. True that neither can really be pocketed, but the 7" sure is easier to carry around. I don't find web surfing that troublesome on the PB because I'm not using it for 10 straight hours at work, just for convenience and fun. It is good to have choice and it will be interesting to see if RIM enters the 10 inch tablet market sometime in the future.
    12-21-11 06:46 PM
    Having owned the iPad, while it is better than the PB for couch surfing, frankly I have my laptop for that. The place where I use my tablet is on the train and out on the campaign trail, and in both places the 7 inch portability trumps the browsing comfort of the 10.

Another point which people havent touched on is typing. I find the iPad too big to comfortably type on in landscape while the Playbook is just right.
    Last edited by Zorua; 12-21-11 at 06:54 PM.
    12-21-11 06:49 PM
    Apple's business plan is to SELL apps. They make nothing when you go to websites directly.

Good Web designers fine tune web tools to get the best out of all formats including the multitude of tablets

There is a long PB forum posting that discusses websites that do not need apps to do stuff.
    12-21-11 09:47 PM
    Apple will have a scaled down Ipad... Jobs didn't want it but the team behind him did..
    Honestly, here in NYC I see less and less folk lugging around bulky iFruit. I do see many folk with small devices like kindles and nooks.
    12-21-11 09:50 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD