Interested in your opinion, what do you think?

Would a $0.99 app receive twice as many purchases as a $1.99 app?

Thanks,
    Tomexx
    03-09-12 12:07 PM
    No. From my experience, you're better off in the 1.99-2.99 range for low end apps in terms of profitability.

The best practice as a developer is to test out your price points. Release it at the higher end of your price point, get a base level of sales, then try adjusting the price up or down for a week and see what kind of results you get. Eventually you'll find your best price point. A huge advantage with digital goods is that you can adjust your pricing on the fly.
    Last edited by aikmanr; 03-09-12 at 12:17 PM.
    03-09-12 12:09 PM
    i think it would yes, because people are more likely to just buy and try at $0.99.
    But people prolly dont expect as much from a $0.99 app compared to a $1.99 app.
    As well as it depends what the app is/does and what people end up expecting from the app.
    CDM76 likes this.
    03-09-12 12:13 PM
    For me as a 18 year old broke kid.
    I'd probably have to be VERY convinced to buy an app. And the APp would probably be 1.99
    03-09-12 12:14 PM
    No. From my experience, you're better off in the 1.99-2.99 range for low end apps in terms of profitability.
    Agreed. In my case, I thought like the OP but it has not worked out that way - there is no linear relationship between price and number of downloads. On top of that, I promised not to raise the price of my app until certain functions were implemented to my satisfaction. Wrong move, in retrospect given the tardiness of API support from RIM.

In addition, if you select a higher price range, you have freedom to have sales to increase customer awareness - it's very tough to reduce the price if you are already in the lowest tier.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Good luck with whatever pricing tier you choose.
    03-09-12 12:19 PM
    1.99 for sure. I feel more comfortable seen that over .99. Also for work we use the 997 over the 1000 people see it and feel more attracted to it is what I've heard...I should probably pay more attention in meetings
    03-09-12 12:24 PM
    It's a shame -and a little baffling- that the appworld doesn't have a "Now on sale" section. If they did I'm sure with added awareness people could more than make up for the price differential, similar to what happens on Steam. Having said that, you need something to come down from, so like Buzz said, it's probably better to give yourself that wiggle room. But you also have to ensure that there is enough value/utility in your product for people to justify the purchase. With the volume of quality apps in just the free-.99 range on various platforms, the way a consumer perceives value has been skewed.
    03-09-12 12:28 PM
    Agreed. In my case, I thought like the OP but it has not worked out that way - there is no linear relationship between price and number of downloads. On top of that, I promised not to raise the price of my app until certain functions were implemented to my satisfaction. Wrong move, in retrospect given the tardiness of API support from RIM.

In addition, if you select a higher price range, you have freedom to have sales to increase customer awareness - it's very tough to reduce the price if you are already in the lowest tier.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Good luck with whatever pricing tier you choose.
    That's a very good point that I never thought of.

Another factor is support. If you have double the users (but the same revenue), you'll have to respond to twice the number of support requests. Responding to support requests as a developer is crucial to receive positive feedback.

In addition, generally tablet customers expect higher app prices. With that in mind, if you're developing for tablets, you can increase your price by $2.00 for the same app that you'd provide on a phone.
    03-09-12 01:37 PM
    Interesting points.

I was leaning towards to $0.99 because of all the free android apps now... But I guess if it is a quality app you might be able to charge $1.99-2.99.

Also good point about support Aikamnr.

I guess I'd be affraid of overpricing. Not sure how easy it is to lower the price later.
    03-09-12 02:39 PM
    Interesting points.

I was leaning towards to $0.99 because of all the free android apps now... But I guess if it is a quality app you might be able to charge $1.99-2.99.

Also good point about support Aikamnr.

I guess I'd be affraid of overpricing. Not sure how easy it is to lower the price later.
    To the lower the price later takes two clicks: select new pricing level, save (super easy).
    03-09-12 02:51 PM
    As a buyer, if it's something I need vs something I want I'd be willing to pay more if the reviews are favorable. I'd feel cheated if I paid twice as much and then the price was reduced. On the other hand, if I paid an introductory price of the lower price and then the price went up... I got a deal. Who doesn't love a deal?
    03-09-12 02:59 PM
    For me its a matter of functionality and what I will get from the app VS what I pay.
    Personally the difference from 0.99 to 1.99 is very little but if the 0.99 tag is for something 5 times less useful I wont touch it.
    03-10-12 02:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD