Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Whatsapp: Can someone please convert the latest version?

Hi,

I have just purchased a Playbook and have moved over from an android tablet. One of the apps I use the most is whatsapp.

I have searched the forums and the currently available whatsapp.bar is an old version that no longer works on the device once installed.

Can someone please convert the latest version to a bar file please? It is available as a free OTA download from the whatsapp homepage in the android section.

Many thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    686 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF

can you post the .APK file?

most of us dont have an Android to download and extract the APK.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Yes sure..

Here is the latest .apk file uploaded as a .zip file.

Thank you very much!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    CrackBerry User

Here you go.
    It's untested, take your own risk.
    CrackBerry User

Tested and fail on my playbook

But many thanks
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Dear iamkingvn,

Thank you very much for trying this.

It dosen't work on my playbook running os 2.0.0.6149.

Does this mean that this version is completely incompatible with the playbook or are there other methods of converting apk -> bar and signing the app?

The reason why I ask is that I know someone who has rooted the device and has managed to install this version and it is working.

Many thanks
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by imran078 View Post
    Dear iamkingvn,

Thank you very much for trying this.

It dosen't work on my playbook running os 2.0.0.6149.

Does this mean that this version is completely incompatible with the playbook or are there other methods of converting apk -> bar and signing the app?

The reason why I ask is that I know someone who has rooted the device and has managed to install this version and it is working.

Many thanks
    I'm pretty sure it depends on type of version, let take this app as example,
    newest version as I know is 2.7.950 doesn't work on PB, but if you try older version at here:

WhatsApp.bar

It may work
    Last edited by iamkingvn; 12-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

This is the version that I tried initially but after install, a message says that it is too old and it won't function.

I guess no whatsapp for now!

Thank you very much for your time and effort though.. much appreciated.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    686 Global Posts
    PIN
    2B5E52DF

This is the version that I tried initially but after install, a message says that it is too old and it won't function.

Even though comes up with that error, I was able to use it and validate my number with the Call back option.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,953 Global Posts

I just gave Os 2.0 a go and installed whatsapp too. It does show me the same message too, but after you dismiss the message you can still use it. Provided you have contacts app side-loaded in too. Tested it too, messages go through just fine.

most of my friends are on other platforms. Most of them likes to use whatsapp's group chat to organize meetings. I like the idea of whatsapp on playbook. If i have my 9900 bridged to the playbook, i could just keep the phone in my pocket while i work on my playbook, check my emails, and chat on whatsapp. If only text messages was supported through bridge too, then the only reason to pull my phone out would be a phone call.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Just PM

Cool

i've got a working whatsapp on my playbook. how can i send messages? i need to add contacts but where can i do that? PS working Whatsapp:
    EDIT: IT WORKS ON OS 2.0.0.4869
    ❤ button

✪✪✪ Playbook + BB10 DEV , APPS ON REQUEST PLEASE PM ME. ✔✔✔[PB]Crackberry Forum App (NON-ANDROID) ✪✪✪
    ☢ bbUI.js ☢ expert -- Need HELP ? Just PM me ! ☣ Blackberry Playbook 64GB ☣
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

How do you get past the software agreement? It says it requires a cellular data network...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Whatsapp working on latest OS 2.0..synced all contacts through gmail! Wow!! free msg from my playbook..I'm loving it
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,210 Global Posts

Thanks for this, quick question, I know the sideloading process, but as for getting your phonebook contacts on the PB do you need to or can you just run whatsapp and verify your number?

edit: running the latest OS2, this app will not start up, no error or anything just won't launch for me, any ideas?
    Last edited by ericlc2; 02-21-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Got the app to load, verified my number, but now says the version is too old and no longer functions
    ekung likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Is there a fully working bar file out there?
    CrackBerry User

I have a working version. Not sure what release number it is, but I converted, signed, and tested. When you load it, it asks for your phone number to send verification SMS to. The trick is to wait till it times out on the SMS verification, and tell it to call your phone, then type in the verification number. The only down side is you can't have it running on both your blackberry and the playbook. I uninstalled it from my playbook as it's more useful on my blackberry.

Anyway, here you go...
    Thanked by 5:
    ahsanq (02-22-2012),  ericlc2 (02-22-2012),  uzmarvel (03-12-2012),  VertigoM (02-22-2012),  zeusje (02-28-2012) 
    ericlc2 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

A little info that might help others trying to use this app...

I had to add new contacts manually through one of the swipe down menus. It's a little tricky because the app is really designed for a phone. It searches your contacts for any other whatsapp phone numbers that are registered to people in your contacts. The problem is, it doesn't interface directly with the playbook native contacts. It's looking for Android contacts I guess? Anyway, one of the swipe down menus has a way to manually add new contacts. As long as you know the phone number they used to register their whatsapp, it will work. It did for me.
    Thanked by:
    leebunker1 (02-22-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

I'm a non BB Playbook user and out of curiosity I'd like to know if Whatsapp will work with the PB connected via wifi. Could anyone check that out?

Thanks.
    Out of my mind and out of control!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

Yes, it works via wifi, just as it does on phones, when the phone is working via wifi.

Another helpful hint: Use the diagonal swipe-up gesture from the middle of the bottom bezel to go back to the main chats screen. For some reason, the curved "back" arrow on left side of bottom Android player bar wouldn't get me there...
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    433 Global Posts

Thanks for the reply. One last question. Will WA work on the PB if I still have it installed on my phone? I know that I cannot use WA on two phones at the same time. Will I encounter the same issue here?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by saescott View Post
    Yes, it works via wifi, just as it does on phones, when the phone is working via wifi.

Another helpful hint: Use the diagonal swipe-up gesture from the middle of the bottom bezel to go back to the main chats screen. For some reason, the curved "back" arrow on left side of bottom Android player bar wouldn't get me there...
    Out of my mind and out of control!
    CrackBerry Newbie

which bar version are people using for the official os2?

i have tried the ones in this tread but for each, when they open on the playbook i get a black screen with a menu bar at the bottom with recent applications..

any ideas?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts

the .rar file posted just above worked for me.

Another interesting discovery: I opened another android app, so that the WhatsApp was no longer showing in the foreground of the android app player. I sent my PB a whatsapp message with my phone, and I heard the alert for the new incoming message on my playbook - while WhatsApp was in the background. This answers the question as to whether or not there is true multitasking for android apps: THERE CERTAINLY IS!
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,210 Global Posts

After my security wipe, whatsapp is up and running, the file that torch posted.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
    Even though comes up with that error, I was able to use it and validate my number with the Call back option.
    i don't have any cell phone number to register for receiving sms
    can you explain more how to use call back option?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast