Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    30da94fd
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Sideloading Z10 Apps?

Now that the Z10 is starting to get a lot of attention with apps, my question is are we able to sideload those apps that appear for the Z10 in BlackBerry World but leave Playbook owners dry? Example, Kindle was released "officially". Could we sideload that bar from the Z10?

Bump

Posted via CB10 on my B@d@ss Z10
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.1052 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247
    CrackBerry Master

Is there any difference between the App World Kindle app and the one many people already have sideloaded, other than it was done officially by Amazon? From the looks of the screenshots, it's the same version of the app, just done officially. In other words, there's no real point in that one.

Others, it probably depends. For example, the Instagram and Netflix BARs certainly do not work. Any other (non native code) Android app should be convertible for PB easily, so it really only applies to native apps. There is no legitimate way for someone who doesn't own a Z10 to obtain those BARs. Plus, many of those apps (if not all?) will be built with the BB10 SDK instead of the PB SDK, which means they will require an OS version of 10 or higher, rather than 2.1 on the PB.

So in short, probably not. Sorry.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I installed the .bar for instagram on my z10 this morning. It successfully installed but when I try to login it tells me the software needs to be upgraded from google play.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by bennettjon View Post
    I installed the .bar for instagram on my z10 this morning. It successfully installed but when I try to login it tells me the software needs to be upgraded from google play.
    Yeah, the version of Instagram converted is quite an old one, and I believe recently people have had issues logging in using it. It worked at first, but not anymore. It's completely possible Instagram purposefully blocked that version logging in to stop BB users accessing their service.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Is there a newer version of Instagram being worked on to be converted? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm no completely familiar with the process in doing so.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    28A006EA

That's strange. I have Instagram sideloaded and it's been working fine till now. No issues with logging in...
    Curve 8300 -> Curve 8320 -> Bold 9780 -> Torch 9860 -> Bold 9900 -> Z10
    iPad 1 -> iPad 2 -> Playbook 64gb

Just don't log out of Instagram. That's when the problems start.

Posted via CB10 on my B@d@ss Z10
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.1052 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by isp23 View Post
    Is there a newer version of Instagram being worked on to be converted? Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm no completely familiar with the process in doing so.
    No idea. Currently, only BlackBerry employees have been able to do it with Instagram. Specifically, a guy called Jason Loustel was responsible for the released Instagram BAR (and also the Netflix BAR). I'd imagine it shouldn't take him particularly long to convert an app (the public tools available for converting APKs take only a minute or two to convert an app once they're setup correctly, but they don't work with apps that contain "native code"), it's just a question of whether the newer versions work on the PB (I imagine if they did, it might have been one of them that was released in the first place).

I should also note that the released BAR was converted in October or November of last year (can't remember exactly when), so that could also be the reason for the old version of Instagram being used.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,749 Global Posts

if I understand correctly the question, then no. I've tried to install things like the crackberry 10 app and ice age village, but they don't install. Then Jeroen_13 helped me to make it install by tweaking the app, so it installs, then crashes. CB 10 app being android and ice age village being native so no luck sadly. You can only install z10 converted apps and games that don't use native librairies that are almost everything, except for instagram and netflix.

Btw I love my new z10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,068 Global Posts
    PIN
    2*****A

I have had a side loaded version of Kindle installed on my PlayBook for a long time. It's an older version, as the newer ones stopped working. I haven't had any issues with it. Version I sideloaded onto PlayBook is 3.2.0.35 (the last working one I could get working).

The one available for Z10 in BlackBerry World seems like a lower version, unless they're giving it a different version number on BlackBerry 10 it's showing as v2.0.0 for me. I haven't had issues either but I still find I use my PlayBook to read for the bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    DJ
    Twitter @djr3yes
    BBM Channels C00024E24