Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default [Request] XBMC on Playbook!?

So XBMC just announced that they have developed XBMC for Android, not a remote, not a thin client, but the full real deal!!! (XBMC)

They have not yet released an official apk, but there is an unofficial APK here: https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/1/topics/136

The app is written to work on 2.3 or higher, and uses software video decoding at the moment. Will it be possible for this app to run on the Playbook, and could someone with the know-how be able to convert this into an APK?

Please and Thank you!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

converted the apk to bar and installed. Force closes on startup. I will see what I can do with it later when I get home. Sorry it wasn't an easy remedy
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

This would be great if would work. I would like to replace my atv2g with a tablet if possible.

Im pretty sure it's going to be native code and not java, so it won't work on the PB.

On another note, it looks like someone had started to port the source to PB but it hasn't been touched in about 3 months. https://github.com/asimonov-rim/xbmc
    Wallpaper Changer HD for BB10 A MUST HAVE APP - Automatically rotates your wallpaper - Now with battery % meter, weather and more!

Evolution Web Browser with Ad Block - The ultra fast web browser with gestures and full screen browsing
    Ultimate ScreenSaver - Includes weather, rss news, clock and more! Many scenes including Aquarium and Fireplace or use your own pictures

Visit: http://www.shao-soft.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    125 Global Posts

That is unfortunate to hear. Xbmc would really make the playbook an amazing tablet.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I neeed this! I've been using xbmc since the xbox1 days.. Would love to have one that I can bring around with me (even though every tv in the house has one already).

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

I saw that on github a few weeks ago Shao.
    I'd also love if xbmc came to the PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Master

It uses native code, it won't work on PB. The only hope is a native port to PB.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

did they ever make an xbmc for 16bit windows? If so you may be able to run it through dosbox. Would be a step completely back but usable until it is ported over. just a thought
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by po8pimp View Post
    converted the apk to bar and installed. Force closes on startup. I will see what I can do with it later when I get home. Sorry it wasn't an easy remedy
    Thanks for the effort, pity it didn't work.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Quote Originally Posted by po8pimp View Post
    did they ever make an xbmc for 16bit windows? If so you may be able to run it through dosbox. Would be a step completely back but usable until it is ported over. just a thought
    I was just curious to see if someone could take 5 minutes and see if it worked. I had no expectations, and given that this is not even a beta on android, I really had no expectations. And how exactly would it be a step backwards? Plenty of people have XBMC on their Ipad and it makes sense, so why not the playbook? XBMC has a great interface, and works as a great network media player.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by minibeardeath View Post
    I was just curious to see if someone could take 5 minutes and see if it worked. I had no expectations, and given that this is not even a beta on android, I really had no expectations. And how exactly would it be a step backwards? Plenty of people have XBMC on their Ipad and it makes sense, so why not the playbook? XBMC has a great interface, and works as a great network media player.
    You may have missunderstood me, I was talking about running it in DOSBOX, if there was a 16bit version. However that would be pointless. Also XBMC for android is beta right now and is still in development to work on more devices. They don't want to release it in the market until it can be used across many different platforms. Which could open up a possibility of an easy port over to the playbook by conversion vice native source.

I did download this for my galaxy s3 and it is not even worth having on the phone at this time. I have a pretty big screen for a phone, 4.5 inches or so. The buttons are so hard to use because of their size. They will need to make a cell phone rebuild if they want to use it on phones. I have pretty skinny fingers and had a very hard time using all the features. Plus the font is very small. This version would be just barely usable for the playbook IMO. I mean you could use it, but again font size would need to be bigger. I can post a video of it on my galaxy s3 if anyone is interested? The resolution is awesome. My galaxy looks amazing with the layout. The fluid motion of the software is very good as well.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

They are working on a cell phone UI right now. The main point right now is for media centers. It looks great on my android A10 media center.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Nice, I thought about adding it to my wife's Acer Iconia
    CrackBerry Newbie

works great for phones... just use the touch skin. I have icona also and its fast as hw decode...but not great on 1080/720p tv out. I've tried converting to bar as well.. no go.
    CrackBerry User

Hi!

So, I've got pretty far into building a working native XBMC port for our PlayBooks It is pretty much broken now, but here are some screenshots of what I have got: XBMC on BB10 and PlayBook - Imgur .

It is running on a Dev Alpha (hence the 1280x768 resolution and weird scaling) but it does not use any BB10 specific API and runs as well on a PlayBook.

There is a lot of work to do, there is no audio and video player freezes, but a lot of stuff works already
    My apps: WatchMore and Kuzaranda.
    Thanked by 8:
    balding1 (09-12-2012),  dentynefire (12-11-2012),  endevour (11-20-2012),  juanyboomba (09-13-2012),  Manuel Bujan (09-21-2013),  Nuke101 (01-05-2013),  pkcable (10-08-2012),  Shao128 (09-12-2012) 
    Shao128, pkcable, endevour and 3 others like this.

Global Posts
    10,411 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me.

Totally awesome man need any testers?
    CrackBerry Master

Feel free to ask me if you need any testing done
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by aesteral View Post
    Hi!

So, I've got pretty far into building a working native XBMC port for our PlayBooks It is pretty much broken now, but here are some screenshots of what I have got: XBMC on BB10 and PlayBook - Imgur .

It is running on a Dev Alpha (hence the 1280x768 resolution and weird scaling) but it does not use any BB10 specific API and runs as well on a PlayBook.

There is a lot of work to do, there is no audio and video player freezes, but a lot of stuff works already
    That's awesome news...my entire house has been overrun by XBMC so it only makes sense to throw it on the PB when it becomes available. Please let me now if you need any testers
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by aesteral View Post
    Hi!

Can you please post the source and bar file? I would like to at least try it no matter what the current functionality.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Any updates on this?
    CrackBerry Newbie

There is a work around - you can also use Splashtop RDP app, found on app world, to stream XBMC from your windows PC onto the Playbook. I know it is not perfect, but for the time being it does the job.
    Thanked by:
    RJB55 (03-25-2013) 
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,824 Global Posts

Default Re: [Request] XBMC on Playbook!?

The Plex app is based on XBMC.
    CrackBerry User

Can you get to install new channels on plex as you install on xbmc? Zip, repositories, etc...?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,824 Global Posts

Default Re: [Request] XBMC on Playbook!?

Plex has channels like Netflix, Youtube, Apple Movie trailers, all sorts of stuff.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast