CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Os 2.1 Android player version?

Hey guys does anyone know what's the latest version of the Android player... Or is it the same as before.
    Also which android version apps does it support.
    I tried installing kindle 5.60 and subway surfers but it crashed... So was just wondering...
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Re: Os 2.1 Android player version?

Android Version is, I believe, 2.3.3
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cavemen View Post
    Hey guys does anyone know what's the latest version of the Android player... Or is it the same as before.
    Also which android version apps does it support.
    I tried installing kindle 5.60 and subway surfers but it crashed... So was just wondering...
    Did you get the Android emulator /player working?

Q: Which /what player, were did you get it? (New to this RIM stuff- trying to find a player for 2.1.0.1088

Q: Is there a player that works in PlayBook OS version 2.1.0.1088 ?

CrackBerry Genius

The android player is part of the PB operating system and will run converted android apps, which can be installed from app world or sideloaded if not available in app world- see the Sideloading sub-forum for more info. Note that only some android apps will work after conversion.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

Kindle 3.2.0.35 is the latest version which works at the moment, you can get it from goodereader, link in kozmonauts signature on his sideloading thread.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    The android player is part of the PB operating system and will run converted android apps, which can be installed from app world or sideloaded if not available in app world- see the Sideloading sub-forum for more info. Note that only some android apps will work after conversion.
    Not to take this thread off-topic too much

Q: So there's nothing "special" that needs to be done running Android Player /emulator for PlayBook OS version 2.1.0.1088 ? (2012-11-12)

(In a nutshell I'm wanting to run Google Maps (in offline mode-caching maps) plus other apps non-native to the PlayBook (Some kind of VOIP program to access Google Voice via Wif-Fi) as frankly the number of apps in App World leaves alot to be desired (Choice/price,etc) I see posts here and there saying rooting the device can't be done after 2.0 beta, and that after a certain revision you can't root the PB device.)

Q: Android Player /emulator for PlayBook OS version 2.1.0.1088 only does (1) app at a time?

EDIT: Answer to my own question:
    A: One of the cool things from PlayBook OS 2.0 was that it brought about the ability to run Android apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook. However, it got quite annoying if you needed to run a few Android ported apps at the same time as they would all run in the same window, making it hard for you to jump between them. With BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 dropping yesterday, the update now allows for Android apps to run in their own window, making it a lot easier to go between them if you needed to.

Now that the apps open in a new their own window, you will no longer see all the previously opened ones along the bottom bar. You can still swipe left or right from the center of the bottom bezel to go back with the Android apps.
    http://crackberry.com/hands-new-andr...eir-own-window
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Newbie here...pls be gentle...

Just got my Playbook a few days ago and very excited to check it all out. I've been looking for the most current info for getting Android Player up and running , and I've found several pages.. ( I think )
    Can someone direct me to the most current info for getting it going on a fresh 2.1 installation . Much appreciated.
    CrackBerry Genius

A tip for newbies- read the thread BEFORE asking a question to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by cavemen View Post
    Kindle not working doesn't have anything to do with the version of Android the player is based on, or the version of the player itself. The problem is that the newer versions of that app use native code (i.e. they have been (partially) written in C++ instead of Java), which doesn't work on the PB's Android player. Only completely Java apps work. Probably the same problem with "subway surfers", whatever that is.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

With all due respect , I see a question from " Wearenotalone" and your reply stating it's part of the OS. I don't see anything about it in my OS and I searched AppWorld and came up empty too.
    You reference installing apps once the player is up and running...my question was WHERE IS IT .? That's all...
    CrackBerry Genius

It's part of the OS, which means it's part of YOUR OS. You don't do anything to activate it. It's already activated. If you install an android app from app world (or sideload a converted android app), it will open in the android player, period. Install the "CB Forums" app from app world, which is a converted android app. It will open in the android player.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    4,722 Global Posts
    PIN
    BBM & Kik (ask)

Pat of the nice thing about the Android Player is that it is part of the OS. There are apps in App World that are converted Android apps. The only real clue that they are Android apps is the control bar that can appear at the bottom of the screen (which can be hidden). You won't see anything really different between native, air, and Android apps (although there are quirks to the android player, such as no text prediction).
    RuneCryption - Unique memory game for PlayBook & BB10, now "Built for BlackBerry".
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Xopher View Post
    Pat of the nice thing about the Android Player is that it is part of the OS. There are apps in App World that are converted Android apps. The only real clue that they are Android apps is the control bar that can appear at the bottom of the screen (which can be hidden). You won't see anything really different between native, air, and Android apps (although there are quirks to the android player, such as no text prediction).
    Apps using standard Android UI are very easy to tell apart from QNX apps. This is one of the things I think RIM should have done something about before releasing the Android player; it is very easy to skin the UI in Android, they could have given apps a bit more of a native feel, in keeping with the rest of the OS and apps.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Thankyou..now THAT I understand !
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by pacoman03 View Post
    A tip for newbies- read the thread BEFORE asking a question to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.
    It's not always easy to find the same question. That said, the pertinent question might be is the process for getting android apps working after the 2.1 update just as arcane as before it?

All apps that worked prior to 2.1 will still work now. I don't follow.

And the kindle app was customized for tablets, meaning it probably used code specific for the tablet version of android, so 2.3.3 won't cut anymore. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.
    Quick Help BLACKBERRY HELP 101 | Direct load Android (APK) Apps : BB10 10.2.1|Sideloading apps: BB10/PlayBook | Update/Reload Software: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Debrick: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10 | Backup 3rd Party Apps: BB7.1- - PlayBook & BB10: Just use BB Link | Battery Saving: BB7.1- - PlayBook - BB10

Got a question? diego.nei@mobilenations.com | My Apps: Papo GP | Papo GP 10 | My Channel: Project Management BBM Channel

CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by diegonei View Post
    All apps that worked prior to 2.1 will still work now. I don't follow.

And the kindle app was customized for tablets, meaning it probably used code specific for the tablet version of android, so 2.3.3 won't cut anymore. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.
    You are, I'm afraid. I explained the reason Kindle doesn't work any more in post #9. It's nothing to do with the version of Android, I have the latest Kindle app on my phone which runs Android 2.3.5, only a few minor bugfixes up from 2.3.3.