Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By djenkins6
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Kindle for playbook

Does anyone have a working bar for Kindle? I feel Amazon is out there killing it to promote the Fire. The Crackberry Kindle bar app I installed to my playbook ended up being an international newspaper reader, not the kindle.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Default Re: Kindle for playbook

Mine isworking fine, I have 3.2.0.35 from goodereader sideloaded (thanks to koz)
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,804 Global Posts

Thanked by 2:
    dwhandy (11-07-2012),  sLorenzi (01-10-2013) 
    sLorenzi likes this.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'm using the afore mentioned 3.2 from goodereader and mine is not working so swell, even worse since the recent os update. I came across this Kindle for BlackBerry on Amazon: Amazon.com: Kindle for BlackBerry - Read Kindle eBooks on your BlackBerry It instruct you to "Visit amazon.com/kindlebb in your BlackBerry browser to download" but that just takes me to the same link. Anyone know if this is compatible with PB and if so how to get it? Can I uninstall and reload the ver3.2 from goodereader?
    Thanks.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by grggtrd View Post
    I'm using the afore mentioned 3.2 from goodereader and mine is not working so swell, even worse since the recent os update. I came across this Kindle for BlackBerry on Amazon: Amazon.com: Kindle for BlackBerry - Read Kindle eBooks on your BlackBerry It instruct you to "Visit amazon.com/kindlebb in your BlackBerry browser to download" but that just takes me to the same link. Anyone know if this is compatible with PB and if so how to get it? Can I uninstall and reload the ver3.2 from goodereader?
    Thanks.
    That's probably the version for BB phones.
    CrackBerry Addict

The only thing I hate about this app is that it brings me back to the login screen when I'm not connected to the Internet. It is very annoying when you are out of range from any network.
    CrackBerry User

Sometimes the Kindle cloud works, sometimes my PB browser is no longer supported, like now. Bye bye, Kindle cloud. Amazon is not the only game in town.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by rifka_f View Post
    Sometimes the Kindle cloud works, sometimes my PB browser is no longer supported, like now. Bye bye, Kindle cloud. Amazon is not the only game in town.
    I've never managed to get Kindle cloud reader to work on my PlayBook. When I first got my PlayBook, it just used to hang the browser, now it just says my browser isn't supported (since the latest PlayBook update).

3.2 of the Kindle app is no use to me, since some of the books I'm reading are "personal documents" and on all my other Kindle devices, I exploit whispersync to always be at the current position whatever Kindle device I'm reading on.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    PIN
    333bf4e4

I have kindle side-loaded on my playbook, and working great.

Whats the advantage to having this over Book Reader ?
    CrackBerry User

Can you find it on App world?
    CrackBerry User

Does anyone know if the Kindle sideloaded app actually works with in-app purchases outside the north American region? I sideloaded and kept getting "go to the web store" messages even for free content....any help gratefully received!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by sok2507 View Post
    Does anyone know if the Kindle sideloaded app actually works with in-app purchases outside the north American region? I sideloaded and kept getting "go to the web store" messages even for free content....any help gratefully received!!
    Hi
    I'm in UK, sideloaded Kindle app from goodereader site and it works very well. Syncs with the books on my phone, Kindle and Playbook.

Sorry you are experiencing problems. Hope you manage to get them sorted out soon
    Cheers
    CrackBerry User

@GooseberryFool- thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated. Are you able to do in-app purchases or
    do you have to go to the Kindle/Amazon website to complete purchases **? That's the bit I'm struggling with...I read
    somewhere that one limitation of the Android emulator on PB was that in-app purchases won't work....

EDIT: ** not that its a total show-stopper, mind...;-)

Cheers
    CrackBerry User

You go to the kindle store from the Store link in the app. It uses the internal browser where you can browse and purchase from there. The is no need to do anything outside the app. Purchased items show up very soon after buying.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post
    You go to the kindle store from the Store link in the app. It uses the internal browser where you can browse and purchase from there. The is no need to do anything outside the app. Purchased items show up very soon after buying.
    worked a treat, thanks so much!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Kindle-e reader

Good day all,
    Newbie to BB,(New Playbook 32GB -obscenely cheap) but little else.
    I've made several attempts to add a Kindle app but to no avail.
    The Amazon link goes in circles and the Goodereader link goes to a page that tells me the website is not available.
    Amazon Kindle for Playbook - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

While we are on the subject of apps is there a way of accessing the Google-Play/other android apps, site through the Playbook?
    Thanks.

3.2.0.35 is the latest working version on the Playbook. I converted and signed 3.8.2.41, but all it did was crash. I'll try again with the next release. I'm thinking that going forward they won't work though.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.700 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247

Quote Originally Posted by EselJaye View Post
    Good day all,
    Newbie to BB,(New Playbook 32GB -obscenely cheap) but little else.
    I've made several attempts to add a Kindle app but to no avail.
    The Amazon link goes in circles and the Goodereader link goes to a page that tells me the website is not available.
    Amazon Kindle for Playbook - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

While we are on the subject of apps is there a way of accessing the Google-Play/other android apps, site through the Playbook?
    Thanks.
    Google-play is a no. You can access a few other sites though directly from your playbook. Over 200,000 free android apps direct downloads once converted this market works on mine.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.700 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.3247
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Lendo78 View Post
    3.2.0.35 is the latest working version on the Playbook. I converted and signed 3.8.2.41, but all it did was crash. I'll try again with the next release. I'm thinking that going forward they won't work though.
    None of the later versions work. I signed all of them and tried with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RDarrylR View Post
    None of the later versions work. I signed all of them and tried with no luck.
    3.2.0.35 was that the latest version you got working too?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Same here. And it will work offline but tries to synchronize, and reload your library.

I have found other solutions with the Calibre software to get my Kindle books to work with "Book Reader" which is a fantastic book reader and well worth the 99 cents.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

How do i put a downloaded e-book on my computer to my playbook's kindle app?

NVM, just found out myself.

Just drop the e-book file to the "Kindle" file under Misc on the PlayBook.

\\192.168.X.XXX\media\misc\android\kindle

Quote Originally Posted by rupam95 View Post
    How do i put a downloaded e-book on my computer to my playbook's kindle app?
    file system breakdown is as follows media:misc:android:kindle Just drop the file in there
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GooseberryFool View Post
    Hi
    I'm in UK, sideloaded Kindle app from goodereader site and it works very well. Syncs with the books on my phone, Kindle and Playbook.

Sorry you are experiencing problems. Hope you manage to get them sorted out soon
    Cheers
    Following your lead I did this:

ON MY LAPTOP

1. Went to FAQ :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10, A10, Q5 & Q10 Apps and read the FAQ
    2. I found the question: I have a Blackberry Playbook, Z10 or Q10, how do I load in Apps?
    3. I followed this link: DDPB - Load Android Apps on Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10, A10, Q5 & Q10 Apps
    4. I DOWNLOADED the DDPB PlayBook installer which runs on my Windows 8 laptop ONTO my LAPTOP
    5. I INSTALLED the installer ON MY LAPTOP

ON MY PLAYBOOK
    6. I enabled DEVELOPMENT MODE (see instructions at link above)
    7. I downloaded the KINDLE .bar file from New Apps – Playbook and BB10 :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10, A10, Q5 & Q10 Apps ON MY PLAYBOOK
    8. I connected my PLAYBOOK to my LAPTOP

ON MY LAPTOP
    8. I launched DDPB installer
    9. I navigated to the /downloads directory on my playbook using the file explorer on the Windows installer
    10. I told the installer (on my laptop) to install KINDLE (on my playbook)

ON MY PLAYBOOK
    11. I launched the KINDLE app. It had one false start but initiated fully on 2nd attempt. I authenticated with my Amazon account details. The app recognised my and now (appears, so far so good) to work on PLAYBOOK. Cool!

Thanks GooseberryFool

p.s. I'm in the UK too but I reckon this will work in France as well.

p.p.s. In app purchase tried and succeeded (after sorting out my payment method )