CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Kindle app - can I update from 3.2.0.35 somehow?

So I've been using Kindle v3.2.0.35 on my PB without problem for several months now. Tonight I attempted to download several graphic novels (Walking Dead, Batman Year One, etc.) and they'd download to 100% and freeze with the download bar still across the screen while telling me I needed to update the kindle app & directing me to amazon.com/updatemykindle (or something like that). Obviously, I can't update sideloaded software like I could if I were actually using a droid, and I'm not seeing any higher newer Kindle app versions in the forums that have been reported to work.

Bottom line - am I gonna be forced to use my mind and continue reading words instead of looking at comic books on my PB kindle?
    Twitter.com/K9Carly
  2. ghz
    CrackBerry User

Default Kindle app - can I update from 3.2.0.35 somehow?

any version of the Kindle app for android more recent than this one contains native references and code. those calls are not supported by the runtime the playbook has.

so most probably we'll not be able to use any of those until amazon decides to support our platform properly.

i am also feeling a bit pissed of...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2b9a3c0a

Default Re: Kindle app - can I update from 3.2.0.35 somehow?

Sometimes I wonder how a company like Amazon, who has a pretty good reputation and usually makes good decisions (no Foxconn ties, fair pricing, nice smile on the boxes their stuff is delivered in), wouldn't take a day or two and properly convert their Kindle app for PlayBook users. I'm no developer, but I can't imagine it would be very hard for them. They're just keeping the doors to their store CLOSED to people that have clearly shown that they are willing to spend money.

If I were Amazon, my simple thinking would be, "Hmmm..Those PlayBook users don't have as many games or apps or other things to do on their device. Maybe if we ported our app over, they'd spend some money they'd normally spend on apps, on our catalog of books and magazines."

An Amazon and RIM partnership would have been so ideal, and maybe if BlackBerry 10 takes off, Amazon could license BlackBerry 10 and run a modified version of it on their tablets, like they run a modified version of Android now...and we could have access to their content, and everyone's happy (except Apple and Android, because neither would really have anything very "special" to offer anymore).
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by SK122387 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder how a company like Amazon, who has a pretty good reputation and usually makes good decisions (no Foxconn ties, fair pricing, nice smile on the boxes their stuff is delivered in), wouldn't take a day or two and properly convert their Kindle app for PlayBook users. I'm no developer, but I can't imagine it would be very hard for them. They're just keeping the doors to their store CLOSED to people that have clearly shown that they are willing to spend money.

If I were Amazon, my simple thinking would be, "Hmmm..Those PlayBook users don't have as many games or apps or other things to do on their device. Maybe if we ported our app over, they'd spend some money they'd normally spend on apps, on our catalog of books and magazines."

An Amazon and RIM partnership would have been so ideal, and maybe if BlackBerry 10 takes off, Amazon could license BlackBerry 10 and run a modified version of it on their tablets, like they run a modified version of Android now...and we could have access to their content, and everyone's happy (except Apple and Android, because neither would really have anything very "special" to offer anymore).
    They're not intentionally blocking access to the PB, I'm fairly sure. Their app became more advanced, it made sense for them to use native code (faster, more powerful), which happens to be incompatible. They clearly do not consider the PB user base a big enough demographic to warrant it's own app.

And your suggestion that an Amazon and RIM partnership over BB10 would mean that Android and Apple have "nothing special to offer" anymore is ridiculous; people do not buy Apple or Android devices purely because they can access Amazon content, nor would they stop buying them if they could no longer access it. Besides that, they would still have access to it. Amazon aren't going to cut off the two most popular mobile operating systems.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    2A2C631B , (PB)502b616c

i have been having issues with my 3.2.0.35 there are a few newer versions but i can tell you that 3.4.1.1 dose not work crashes. Looking over the forums to see what works as of now (just seems like no one really is helping)
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dami0nx View Post
    i have been having issues with my 3.2.0.35 there are a few newer versions but i can tell you that 3.4.1.1 dose not work crashes. Looking over the forums to see what works as of now (just seems like no one really is helping)
    The reason no newer versions are available is given in the second post: After that version, Amazon started using native code and the app no longer works in the Playbook's Android Player.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.