Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Feedly on Playbook

So following the recent news that Google Reader, which I use quite a bit, is shutting down, I've been trying to find a decent alternative. For the time being, I am trying Feedly. Of course, one of the essential features any replacement must have for me is compatibility with the Playbook. Luckily, Feedly has an Android client, which I have installed on my phone, and it's not terrible. (Not as good as Google Reader was, but not terrible). So I headed over to goodereader to see if there was a BAR for Feedly posted there (rather than going through the hassle of pulling the APK off my phone and converting it myself). I found that there was, so I promptly installed it. However, when I launch it, it just sits on a splash screen for ages, and never seems to make any progress.

I was just wondering if anyone had had any success getting Feedly to work, and if so, if there is some specific version that works well, or if I'm just being too impatient and not giving it long enough to load, or whatever. Any advice is appreciated.

(I am also open to any other suggestions of decent, cloud-synced RSS readers with a decent Playbook experience available, whether via app or website)
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

I've been using Flipboard for my news lately. GoodEReader has the last working bar version, 1.9.11 I think, and it works pretty good. A bit laggy on startup, but after the initial topics you watch load it works well. Pulse is another decent news reader that they have.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Same experience here... the converted bar doesn't work. I'm not sure if there is a repository of older version apks... that might be an option that has worked for other apps.

Also been using Flipboard... agreed, a little laggy, but on the whole absolutely useable. Still waiting for something native with decent offline/caching support.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I tried Flipboard, but it was extremely laggy for me and also seemed to have a weird orientation problem (from memory it displayed in portrait despite me starting it with my PB in landscape, but yet it took swipes in landscape, not portrait, so I had to swipe perpendicular to the direction I actually wanted to swipe). Perhaps I was too impatient with it and should give it another chance. I may also checkout Pulse.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

Flipboard on the PB only works in Portrait from my understanding, but I could be confusing it with another. I know it has a bunch of settings options...orientation may be one. Pulse, from the little I tried of it, works in Landscape and pulls the articles in on a ribbon that you can scroll back and forth before you tap what you want and it pulls full-screen.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Ah, that could explain my troubles with Flipboard. I think I did look through the settings and saw nothing there though. I'll maybe give it another shot anyway.

Thanks for your help
    Thanked by:
    DurdenLunarius (03-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

Download : BlackBerry 10 Bars

This is version 1.9.19 and works good in both Landscape and Portrait. Don't know if 2.0 works yet, will try and let you know. This is less buggy/laggy than the previous 1.9.11.
    Thanked by:
    SifJar (03-15-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

I have tried Feedly 2.0.1 and 10.101 and both stayed stuck on the splashscreen. any one else got them to work? Benice to have feedly on the playbook since I just transferred my feeds to that service in light of Google shutting down Reader.
    SQN100-1 on Bell Mobility (10.3.0.296/.441 Radio)
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

So apparently 1.9.10 is the last working version that will run on it's own on PB, as it's the phone version (hence being in Portrait-only). Newer versions will work and do have the Tablet option (Landscape), but will have to be launched within Ghost Commander - otherwise you get stuck looking at a black window.
    Thanked by:
    SifJar (03-18-2013) 
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Quote Originally Posted by DurdenLunarius View Post
    So apparently 1.9.10 is the last working version that will run on it's own on PB, as it's the phone version (hence being in Portrait-only). Newer versions will work and do have the Tablet option (Landscape), but will have to be launched within Ghost Commander - otherwise you get stuck looking at a black window.
    Thanks for the info. Seems to work well following those instructions. A tad annoying to have to go through that way to make it work, but I guess I can live with it.
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,505 Global Posts

I'm waiting on The Old Reader pulling my feeds in, because I don't use an RSS app.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

Yea, I'm basically under the same pretense - tad annoyed but will work with it until it gets updated properly or they update the Android Runtime.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    601 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DurdenLunarius View Post
    I tried launching 2.0.1 and 10.101 from Ghost Commander without success. Do you have a link to 1.9.10 so I can try that?

I'm getting close to disappointed that I switched to Feedly - not a perfect successor to Google Reader yet. They need a decent BB app and web version (rather than Chrome extension).
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

Quote Originally Posted by kfroese View Post
    I tried launching 2.0.1 and 10.101 from Ghost Commander without success. Do you have a link to 1.9.10 so I can try that?

I'm getting close to disappointed that I switched to Feedly - not a perfect successor to Google Reader yet. They need a decent BB app and web version (rather than Chrome extension).
    He was referring to Flipboard, not Feedly. (At least, I think; his instructions made Flipboard work well, but not Feedly)
    Resident CrackBerry Wizard

Global Posts
    15,505 Global Posts

I'm using NewsBlur via the browser until GNewsReader supports it - and the dev said he will.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Unfortunately for me flipboard isn't available on windows, thats why i chose feedly. I hope it makes it officially to blackberry world at some point before google reader officially calls it quits.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    607 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    He was referring to Flipboard, not Feedly. (At least, I think; his instructions made Flipboard work well, but not Feedly)
    Was referring to Flipboard, yes. I was using the latest one from Android, converted, launched through Ghost Commander but got tired after a few days of having to go through a few extra steps when the older one launched just fine on its own... 1.9.10 is on GoodEReader's site under PlayBook Apps.