Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Facebook 2.0 android slideload

Hi anyone have Facebook 2.0 for slideload? I have try to convert one but not working for me

Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

Uses native code, won't work.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,961 Global Posts

Default Re: Facebook 2.0 android slideload

Use the one from the good ereader site. It works
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    Use the one from the good ereader site. It works
    If it works, it is not Facebook 2.0 (which was released a couple of days ago, and is a complete rewrite of the app, making it much faster and slicker).
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Yes the older work but the new version don't work ...
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM Me For It

rather annoying that apps don't work if they use native code.
    Follow me on twitter @Ross_Scott
    BlackBerry 8900 > BlackBerry Torch 9800> BlackBerry Bold 9780 > BlackBerry Z10
  7. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,745 Global Posts

Why is that annoying? If you want native Android apps, get an Android device lol

Don't understand why people, not you just in general, geg angry if an Android app doesn't work on their BlackBerry PlayBook? Like its the BlackBerry's fault that the BlackBerry tablet THEY bought doesn't run Android apps lol oh wait! it is the BlackBerry's fault because its a BlackBerry! If you want to run Android apps, get a friggin Android!
    Last edited by tfp; 12-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    CrackBerry Master

Quote Originally Posted by tfp View Post
    Why is that annoying? If you want native Android apps, get an Android device lol

Don't understand why people, not you just in general, geg angry if an Android app doesn't work on their BlackBerry PlayBook? Like its the BlackBerry's fault that the BlackBerry tablet THEY bought doesn't run Android apps lol oh wait! it is the BlackBerry's fault because its a BlackBerry! If you want to run Android apps, get a friggin Android!
    Actually, it IS BlackBerry's fault (or more accurately, RIM's). They decided to introduce Android compatibility, and advertise it heavily. Then they decided to half-*** it and not include support for native code. If they had never advertised it and talked it up, but quietly added the ability we have now (with appropriate disclaimers about it's capabilities), or else released a version which supported native code, no one would have a right to complain. But neither of those things happened.
  9. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    Actually, it IS BlackBerry's fault (or more accurately, RIM's). They decided to introduce Android compatibility, and advertise it heavily. Then they decided to half-*** it and not include support for native code. If they had never advertised it and talked it up, but quietly added the ability we have now (with appropriate disclaimers about it's capabilities), or else released a version which supported native code, no one would have a right to complain. But neither of those things happened.
    Sorry but if you hadn't half assed it as you claim RIM to have done, you would know that RIM never claimed that ALL Android apps would work only that it would have support for Android apps. As well, the apps would have to be repackaged and submitted to BlackBerry App World for approval.

So again, you're ******** about an app that HASN'T been properly repackaged OR submitted to App World NOT working on the PlayBook.

Half *** is exactly right.
    CrackBerry Master

With BB10 coming out soon who cares about android ports. Far as i am concerned they should just dump the android player.
    CrackBerry Master

Sorry but if you hadn't half assed it as you claim RIM to have done, you would know that RIM never claimed that ALL Android apps would work only that it would have support for Android apps. As well, the apps would have to be repackaged and submitted to BlackBerry App World for approval.

So again, you're ******** about an app that HASN'T been properly repackaged OR submitted to App World NOT working on the PlayBook.

Half *** is exactly right.
    None of the marketing material I ever read prior to receiving the PlayBook said "only some apps will work". It just said "Android apps will work". The natural assumption from that statement is that all or at least most will work. Which isn't the case.

And I'm not "********" about anything; I merely stated WHY it wouldn't work, someone else complained. You decided the thread required you to jump in and spread your BB fanboy stuff, then I merely justified the complaint of someone else (perfectly correctly).

I don't intend to post any further in this thread about this. Quite frankly I'm not all that bothered if you disagree with me. I was merely stating facts.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

The OP has a valid point. The playbook's native FB app looks like something I'd expect to see from the 80's. Reverting to Facebook in the PB browser is a frustratingly slow experience. OTOH The latest Android facebook update is extremely well done and blows it away. I'd love to be able to get that on my PB too, so I don't blame him at all for wanting to be able to sideload it. Telling him to "just get a friggin android if you want android apps" from where I sit isn't bolstering your argument - it's making a good case for him to do just that because there's a heck of a lot more apps that could be said about than just Facebook. The large number of older apps we still have in app world are ugly, clunky and dated looking, pretty bareboned, and in a good number of cases, abandonware. I'm no developer but I guess there's some difference between whatever devs used to code apps a year ago compared to now. Files and Folders for example looks pretty polished and sleek now, where many of the older apps I see have this god-awful looking primitive UI with every screen having bulky oversized menus like I'd expect to see in a children's electronic toy. The current native Facebook app being a perfect example.
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    CrackBerry Master

I believe part of the problem with the Facebook app is RIM did it themselves, instead of getting Facebook to do it. (I remember something along these lines, anyway). This means it's up to RIM to update it, and they haven't bothered.
  14. tfp
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,745 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SifJar View Post
    I believe part of the problem with the Facebook app is RIM did it themselves, instead of getting Facebook to do it. (I remember something along these lines, anyway). This means it's up to RIM to update it, and they haven't bothered.
    From what I recall, you are correct. I believe RIM created both Facebook apps, PlayBook and Phone. I don't see an update for FB for PB until BB10 comes out at which point I think they'll release some of the apps for PB OS2.1
    CrackBerry Master

From what I recall, you are correct. I believe RIM created both Facebook apps, PlayBook and Phone. I don't see an update for FB for PB until BB10 comes out at which point I think they'll release some of the apps for PB OS2.1
    That would be rather redundant; the PB is getting BB10 also, so why bother wasting time back porting apps which will only be used for a few months? May as well just leave it until BB10 for PB is released, at which point it'll have the updated apps.