Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default dlna player?

Hi guys;

I have a netgear router which features a dlna server built in. I have this working.

Is there an Android app that will allow me to browse music on my network attached drive and play it on the PB? I've looked and tried a few things, but no success so far.

Anyone successfully converted an Android music player that can play files from a dlna server?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Here are a couple free apps that look promising?

DK UPnP?/DLNA® Player - Android

DlnaPlayer Free - Android (looks like the best one)

ArkMC Media Center trial - Android

Could someone download and convert these for me to test please?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Update:

The dlna controller on app world sees my server and Windows Media Player on my pc's can see and play mp3's and videos from it - so I know my server is working. It's just my Netgear router with "readydlna" running and a 500 gb usb drive attached.

Last night, I managed to download a few apk files (scary sources I guess??) and both converted online and didn't crash the playbook. Alas - neither one saw the server.

So, my question becomes - how do I source APK files to try? I don't own an Android phone.
    CrackBerry Newbie

You can get APK apps from Google Play using a Chrome plugin called "APK Downloader" (original name! lol).

The plugin will ask for an email address (use a gmail address) and device ID, I used the device ID that my Bluestacks Android emulator uses.

That being said I haven't found a free DLNA player that works.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Yes, did just that without success. Tried 5 or 6 different apps.
    Banned

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

DLNA is not supported on Playbook. It will be supported in BB10.

I had the same issue.. can't access the drive off my DLNA router, when my Windows box can access it just fine. Gave up trying to get it to work.

Try uPnPlayer from App World.. it's free.. it didn't exist last time I tried getting things to work so who knows.. it looks as though it can detect a uPnP device (and if your drive is on a DLNA-equipped router, it's probably uPnP equipped as well), but the Playbook itself will not play back the video or audio. Instead it will direct the stream to an external device that can play back the stream. Basically uPnPlayer serves as a 'multimedia control point'. Seems kind of silly, but whatever. Serves some people's purposes I guess.
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
    CrackBerry User

tryed upnplayer and its working exactly like you said.. you cant play it on the playbook, only on external device (totally USELESS)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I have been in touch with the author of upnplayer in Brazil (I think) and he does hope to implement a player at some point.
    Banned

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Willardv View Post
    I have been in touch with the author of upnplayer in Brazil (I think) and he does hope to implement a player at some point.
    I'm confident uPnPlayer could be made to work with VLC or WMP on Windows, as recognized servers.. I did get my PC to show up as both server and renderer, but I wasn't able to actually do anything else. It's a hassle trying to get something like this configured properly in Windows.. I'm never sure if I've set something wrong and I've left my PC wide open to my neighbors, so I really don't like messing with this kind of thing unless it's a 3-click set-it-and-forget-it process.

If you try XBMC, you can set it up so that you can control the program via web interface (like from your Playbook). From your browser you can connect to XBMC on your PC, and use the on-screen remote to control the program. I could get XBMC to play movies, and even browse my PC's movie directory with my Playbook, but it's not actually a streaming solution.. so yeah it's pointless unless you're on the couch and too lazy to get up and interact directly with your PC.

VLC Player can output a stream in many different formats... I tried getting it to output video as an RTSP stream, and using Meridian to receive the stream (Android app running on the Playbook) but I either had something set wrong, or Meridian was never going to work in the first place. After messing around for quite a while I gave up in frustration.. I just assumed Meridian was the weak link and deleted it...

As someone else posted in the forums, try Plex. It's not free at the moment, but if you can swing $4/month or so, it may be the best solution, in terms of quality and easy of use. You still need a PC to be the server, but you can assign any directory/drive to stream from, as long as the PC can see it. The stream will be received by the Playbook's browser using the web-based Plex app. There is an Android version of Plex but it doesn't work on the Playbook, unfortunately... but no biggie.
    Last edited by BennyX; 10-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,013 Global Posts

Default Re: dlna player?

I never got upnplayer to do anything. It sees my devices, and I can.select them, but hitting the Play button then does nothing.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to avoid running server sofware on my desktop since my router has dlna functionality built in. Electricity co$t$ here in Canada.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    865 Global Posts

Install IIS on your pc. Setup the default site folder to where you media is. Enable view for the website and then hit it.. I have this working in my house.. lets me watch most video formats on the playbook by streaming it.. The ones that don't download quickly enough
    --- Sent From Mobile Device While on the Can! ---
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,013 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline_x View Post
    Install IIS on your pc. Setup the default site folder to where you media is. Enable view for the website and then hit it.. I have this working in my house.. lets me watch most video formats on the playbook by streaming it.. The ones that don't download quickly enough
    I tried messing with that before, but I didn't really understand how to do it right. I got it installed, but the folder setup thing is where I failed.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I sideloaded ES file explorer, which works great. You can browse and play music along with movies and documents, etc. on every device on your home network. I have a WD Mybook live NAS drive and it sees and read almost everything off of it. Love it.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

It's not dnla but it's better then nothing.

With readyshare you can use the web browser to navigate the hdd and then download the file to playbook.
    The box said ‘Requires Windows Vista or better.' So I installed LINUX.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I really can't believe all this idiotic posts about UPNPlayer doesn't do anything. I admit it is not working as solid as I would like it to do BUT folks, go and read what UPnP-AV/DLNA means!
    The scenario to only stream content from a server is not the only one! UPNPlayer is a remote controller (DMC) and I hope BB10 brings this functionality. I'm not carrying all my media on my PB nor do I only consume media on it. I would love to have the PB finally work as a controller on which can nicely browse my library and play it from Server A to Stereo B or TV C...