Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shampisang
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24E10098
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Conveniently download, convert and sideload APK/Android Apps to PlayBook without a PC

I've figured out a way to do that. Do u guys need me to share it here or u guys already figure it out too?
    Last edited by shampisang; 10-03-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Everybody here knows it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I don't :-(
    CrackBerry Master

I have my own ways of doing it, but I'm curious to hear yours.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

ok - let me know if its any different to either using Localbar2, or apk2bar.unker.net, combined with the Chrome playbook app manager for ota installation?

As a mac user I do this all the time without windows. Upload apk to apk2bar, download completed bar (few seconds); activate development mode on PB, open Chrome pb app manager, drag & drop, wait for install, enjoy.

All completed in a few seconds. Can also be done with firefox.

If you have another solution i'm sure we'd love to hear it - if in fact its any different to the 2 solutions above & furthermore allows for uploading of native apks! lol
    I own a Playbook - who says men can't multitask!
    CrackBerry Master

Localbar1 or 2?

Please do share my kind(?) sir...
    Im sexy and i know it! ("Music? What music?")
    CrackBerry Abuser

Everything described here uses a computer.

So how do you do this WITHOUT a computer?
    CrackBerry Master

Personally, I do it like this:

1. Downloading the APK in the browser (e.g. from http://1mobile.com or else google "{name of app} APK")
    2. Open Air Browser (most file browser should do) and rename the downloaded .apk to .txt (just add it on the end e.g. if it was Dolphin.apk, it'd become Dolphin.apk.txt) [this step is so that the stock file browser will see the file, which is necessary for the next step]
    3. Open PlayBook .apk to .bar converter in the browser and click "Upload .apk file". Choose the renamed .apk file (it should show up under "Documents" when it has the .txt extension, it won't if it's still .apk)
    4. Download the resultant .BAR
    5. Install .BAR with LocalBar2, via an app called Proxoid running on my Android phone (if you have a BB phone, there's a LocalBar proxy app for them).

Obviously it's easier to just use a PC, but if you're not at a PC, it's handy.

I'm curious as to whether the OP has a different method, or improvements to my method, or was just trolling...

On a side note, it is possible that alternative browsers would negate the requirement to rename the .apk. For example, Android ones should be fine, but they experience a throttled download speed from my testing. I think native apps (e.g. Simple Browser Plus, Secure Browser) may have to use the built in file browser, so they may not be any better. But I'm not 100% sure.
    Last edited by SifJar; 10-04-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    Thanked by:
    osbook (10-07-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24E10098
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Default Conveniently download, convert and sideload APK/Android Apps to PlayBook without a PC

Yeah, that is how I do it. But as usual, would need to use a pc initially to sideload those essential apps such as BlackMart Alpha, Localbar 2, android file manager such as ES File Explorer and an android browser such as Skyfire of Dolphin (which can be downloaded from Appword.

1) Use BlackMart Alpha to downloads APKs.
    2) Then using an android browser, go to apk2bar.unker.net to convert and sign ur apps. Need to use and android app instead of the normal browser cause normal browser will use PB default file manager for uploading. You can't choose a specific APK to upload if u uses the default file manager. If using an android browser, it will prompt u which file manager u want to use to browse/locate ur APKs.

3) Download the bar once it convert and sign. Use localbar2 to install ur bar file.

Hope that this will help others..
    Last edited by shampisang; 10-04-2012 at 02:21 PM.
    Thanked by:
    annasolis (10-05-2012) 
    annasolis and osbook like this.
    CrackBerry Master

The app you have mentioned in step 1 is a warez app for downloading paid apps without paying for them. That sort of thing is against the rules of these forums.
    CrackBerry Newbie

i didnt get any app to work.... i used DDPD to sideload. Is there a specified genre of apps that work ?
    CrackBerry Newbie

Angry Explain in simple bloody terms...

Why can't anybody speak f@#$%^-ing English in these forums!! We all aren't conversant with computer knowledge. Just dumb it down for me/us and don't miss explaining a step. All I want is to know where you get the android app files, how to convert them for playbook compatibility, and how to sideload them.

I've been trying for four months now looking at youtube videos and posts in this forum with absolutely NO SUCCESS!!! One more failed attempt and I'm selling my BB playbook as well as the goddamned BB Z10!
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by thejookking View Post
    Why can't anybody speak f@#$%^-ing English in these forums!! We all aren't conversant with computer knowledge. Just dumb it down for me/us and don't miss explaining a step. All I want is to know where you get the android app files, how to convert them for playbook compatibility, and how to sideload them.

I've been trying for four months now looking at youtube videos and posts in this forum with absolutely NO SUCCESS!!! One more failed attempt and I'm selling my BB playbook as well as the goddamned BB Z10!
    Your jookking right?....

Posted via CB10
    9105>8520>8530>9930>Playbook(Wifi)/Z10/Waiting On Another..
    Just A Berliever....

Join Me On My Journey To Becoming A Hip/Hop Artiste!
    By Joining My Music Channel
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by thejookking View Post

sorry I'm not buying it. this information is available and has been explained many ways. sell your playbook, that will let you download tons of apks won't it? $50 offer for your playbook if it works and is at least 32gb

Sent from an ATM Machine
    Sprint Q10
    32GB Playbook
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

I'll take the Z10 if you're going to sell it. Have been sideloading/converting apk's since the initial 2.0 beta without any issues. I use DDPB while a fellow PB'er swears by the Chrome extension.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by DurdenLunarius View Post
    I'll take the Z10 if you're going to sell it. Have been sideloading/converting apk's since the initial 2.0 beta without any issues. I use DDPB while a fellow PB'er swears by the Chrome extension.
    same here. I've used both methods. the chrome ext is my backup for the pesky app that keeps coming back. sorry OP, keep researching

Sent from an ATM Machine
    Sprint Q10
    32GB Playbook
    CrackBerry User

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    24E10098
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Quote Originally Posted by nappp View Post
    same here. I've used both methods. the chrome ext is my backup for the pesky app that keeps coming back. sorry OP, keep researching

Sent from an ATM Machine
    Pardon me? I did says i have my own way of getting apks, converting them and easily sideloading them on my PB/Z10 without using a pc.

Posted via CB10 using a Shiny Black BB Z10
    CrackBerry Newbie

Posted via CB10