Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Any way to reset/restart the android player without restarting pb?

Hello,
    My pb has the latest os update and I experience a LOT of crashes with the android apps. I always did ever since I started sideloading apps but was hoping that the update would make things more stable... Anyways once any android app crashes, the whole android player stops responding. I can't just shut the specific app that's having the problem, and I can't run any other android apps unless I restart the pb, which is a huge hassle. Does anybody know of a way to maybe reset or restart the android player without restarting the pb? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Thanked by:
    speedypear (02-24-2012) 
    speedypear and foxtrot88 like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    PIN
    28B6D356

Android task killer
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by rexrim View Post
    Android task killer
    This does not work because Android Task Killer is itself an android app that requires the app player and won't open if the player is frozen. I have found that if you wait long enough the android player does unfreeze itself but this takes at least 15 minutes, probably longer...not quite sure as I didn't keep track of the time. I hope a solution is found soon!
    Thanked by 2:
    ahsomsid (02-24-2012),  jntrup (02-29-2012) 
    bluetroll and Snuupy like this.
    CrackBerry User

If this happens, I usually just restart and walk away for a minute or two.

I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but it's the most effective approach. Sometimes, and very rarely, the android runtime will ask you if you want to force quit the application if you swipe down from the top or tap the screen.
    Banned

Ghost commander, go to applications. Go to settings for the app, then force close the app.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Same issue here. My player will launch and show the recent applications icons but none of them respond.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by mrbkkt1 View Post
    Ghost commander, go to applications. Go to settings for the app, then force close the app.
    The problem is, since ghost commander itself is an android app I can't open it when the android player freezes.... I've looked everywhere but it looks like the only solution for this is a reboot :'(..
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    830 Global Posts

Yes this really needs a solution I've noticed that this only happens with specific apps vevo android is really bad!
    Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
    C. S. Lewis (Mat 6:33)
    CrackBerry Genius

often when you use android apps, there is either a memory leak, or for some reason it quickly fills up the allocated buffer memory. Either way, should get some of the crackberry reporters who are buddy buddy with RIM to let them know they should implement a kill feature for all apps, or to release an official playbook function that will restart the android emulating software.
    The Good e-Reader App Store is your #1 online Destination for BB10, Android and Playbook Apps! We currently have over 4500 Blackberry apps and 47,000 Android Apps! Our new client will work with the new leaked firmware. Download it today or visit http://apps.goodereader.com
    Toxic17 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2600/3743309452_9ced721c82.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kozmonaut View Post
    often when you use android apps, there is either a memory leak, or for some reason it quickly fills up the allocated buffer memory. Either way, should get some of the crackberry reporters who are buddy buddy with RIM to let them know they should implement a kill feature for all apps, or to release an official playbook function that will restart the android emulating software.
    I have noticed the mem leaks (no good). Also cannot open two android apps simultaneously. Lets hope we get a solution soon.
    Jesus Saves
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    180 Global Posts

Ha at least it only crashes your android player, my whole pb stops working and when i click restart it takes like fifteen minutes to shut down, it has become really annoying and i feel like it is a let down.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedypear View Post
    This does not work because Android Task Killer is itself an android app that requires the app player and won't open if the player is frozen. I have found that if you wait long enough the android player does unfreeze itself but this takes at least 15 minutes, probably longer...not quite sure as I didn't keep track of the time. I hope a solution is found soon!
    I had the same problem, it took about 10 minutes for me, I just opened up News360 to pass the time and checked the android player periodically until it was working again.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts

The solution is to wait for "officially" released android apps from App World. There is a reason why they are not released yet. When Sideloading apps you should automatically be aware and prepared to deal with these issues.
    tayl0rd and ashdeltor like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

last night I was testing a few sideloaded android apps and android player crashed, I was too lazy to do a restart at the time, and continued using the playbook's native apps. some time later decided to check back on android apps, I opened one and to my surprise saw the bb logo loading, it took a few minutes, (I guess for boot up) and then android player worked fine.
    it has only happend to me once, so I don't know if it was a seperate/one-time thing or if it does restart after some time when crashing.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Slitty (03-13-2012) 
    CrackBerry User

Android apps player has crashed for me with app world android apps. I loaded photo editor and it froze, so after a minute I closed it. A while later I opened dolphin and it was still on the photo editor screen, and was still even after I uninstalled the first app. Restarted to get things back to normal, that was slower than usual as well.
    CrackBerry User

I use vevo (android port) with no problems. When 2.0 came out, I upgraded from an older version of the OS. I Cant remember the version but did not update due to the hope of using dingleberry. So, I wonder if a complete wipe of the blackberry and re installation of 2.0 would help solve a lot of these issues?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIII View Post
    The solution is to wait for "officially" released android apps from App World. There is a reason why they are not released yet. When Sideloading apps you should automatically be aware and prepared to deal with these issues.
    Sorry, but this is flat-out wrong. Android apps in App World are converted to PB-friendly .bar files using the exact same tools and the exact same process are are sideloaded apps. The only difference is whether they either been submitted to App World.

As several of the posts in this and other threads make clear, Android is a leaky, unstable OS, and some Android apps are leaky and unstable themselves. This is one issue that is not the fault of RIM for once.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cletis View Post
    Sorry, but this is flat-out wrong. Android apps in App World are converted to PB-friendly .bar files using the exact same tools and the exact same process are are sideloaded apps. The only difference is whether they either been submitted to App World.
    Do you work at RIM on this? If not how can you be 100% sure of this? It is possible (but unlikely) that RIM does "something" to the apps in App World to stop the issue. Just want to know how you are so sure.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    50251ACB

Hi Guys,

I have noticed that if you close one app before opening another you get no problems, but if you open with the task bar icons at the bottom you are more likely to get a lock-up. Shutting first and then opening the android app is the way to go

Hope this helps
    CrackBerry Addict

I've noticed the same thing. Good thing the only app I use regularly is Words with Friends; even that is buggy.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Alphax45 View Post
    Do you work at RIM on this? If not how can you be 100% sure of this? It is possible (but unlikely) that RIM does "something" to the apps in App World to stop the issue. Just want to know how you are so sure.
    Android apps from the app world also freeze just so you know. Even on a clean pb with no previous history of rooting or sideloading or even using beta os 2.0. RIM does no such thing because after the developer port their apps to bar files, workers at rim only check the app for inappropriate content and whether the developer owns the app and finally if it opens and works. Thats all. They do not change anything on the apps. You dont have to work at rim to know this, but if it helps I do have room mates that work there and know this.

EDIT:
    I have posted a solution on another thread to reset the player fast without restarting or waiting, but it requires overload of the memory on the pb.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...=1#post7188264

I use repligo often (side loaded), even in beta. I had not experienced this issue in beta at all! Only get this since official os 2.0. Thats upsetting.

Also, its worth noting that if this occurs, you can close the android player, open many different native apps to overload the memory, causing it to clear out the android player from its memory, then closing all the extra apps will restart your android player!

This has been my fastest way of continuing to edit my pdf by marking it up(something that no effing apps in the app world do and is much needed).

Task killers are also android apps and therefore when your android player freezes you cant open a android app to close them by logic.... And there is no native task killers for pb to my knowledge.

Its not related this thread but I really wish there was a much better pdf reader for pb. I am even willing to develop one but require a small team and offer the app for small price or free if other parties agree.
    Last edited by A_Veyron; 02-29-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add to topic
    Thanked by 2:
    Alphax45 (02-29-2012),  rockiet (03-04-2012) 
    rockiet likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A_Veyron View Post
    Android apps from the app world also freeze just so you know. Even on a clean pb with no previous history of rooting or sideloading or even using beta os 2.0. RIM does no such thing because after the developer port their apps to bar files, workers at rim only check the app for inappropriate content and whether the developer owns the app and finally if it opens and works. Thats all. They do not change anything on the apps. You dont have to work at rim to know this, but if it helps I do have room mates that work there and know this.
    Yes that does make it more creditable - thanks for the insider information (in the good way). Still the issue/problem remains with no clear way to solve it; kind of a downer. RIM really needs to make a "task manager" and/or a way to kill the Android Player process. Some kind of app that just kills the process would be fine.
    CrackBerry User

I also noticed the auto-restart of the player after some minutes when it froze.
    CrackBerry User

looks like the recent data of each android app open builds up. there has to be an app that you can manually clear the data before the player freezes or you can simply just use about 5 of the same apps before a restart
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast