Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Straight Talk now has BlackBerry!

It's the Curve 9310. I think this is pretty nifty. I am on Verizon but my boyfriend uses Straight Talk. He uses an Android that works on Verizon towers only so he has been getting Verizon-quality coverage for $45/month, unlimited everything.

Does anyone know what carrier towers this new Blackberry will be operating off of? I think this is pretty cool.

Posted from my Droid Razr Maxx.
    "If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    7,538 Global Posts

The 9310 has CDMA bands, so it would be on the Sprint or Verizon's network.

Do you know if this phone will have full BIS, or social BIS only? I'm also wondering if BIS will be an extra add-on (for $5-$10, like TMO does for its prepaid plans.)
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30, Passport, Classic
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Default Re: Straight Talk now has BlackBerry!

I'm still trying to find that out myself. I'll update more if I find out.

The phone will definitely have BBM. They were advertising that. I didn't see a mention of email but that doesn't surprise me because all the smartphones have push everything these days so push email isn't necessarily something they may focus on. But yes, I'm interested to see if they will support true BIS.

There has been no mention of an added monthly charge from what I see. They just want you to be on the $45 plan versus the $30 one. I think they require that for all smartphones.

My gut tells me that there probably won't be an added charge for BIS and that the cost is probably baked in with the $45 plan. ST came out a short while ago with how you can buy an iPhone from them and activate off contract for cheap. They don't require anything extra there for the iPhone. They just make you go on the unlimited plan.

"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry." -Emily Dickinson
    CrackBerry Newbie

I purchased a straighttalk branded blackberry 9310 running on the verizon network (cdma-v) on Monday and was able to get BIS and internet for one day until yesterday when I stopped getting pushed email and was not able to access internet. However phone and sms work. I looked at the straight talk website and can not find any indication of BIS or email or internet support. Just voice, sms, mms, and bbm. I think the 45 dollar plan covers BBM/unlimited voice and text akin to BOOSTMOBILE's Blackberry BBM plan for $45 with shrinkage. Any other thoughts???
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cefotetan View Post
    I purchased a straighttalk branded blackberry 9310 running on the verizon network (cdma-v) on Monday and was able to get BIS and internet for one day until yesterday when I stopped getting pushed email and was not able to access internet. However phone and sms work. I looked at the straight talk website and can not find any indication of BIS or email or internet support. Just voice, sms, mms, and bbm. I think the 45 dollar plan covers BBM/unlimited voice and text akin to BOOSTMOBILE's Blackberry BBM plan for $45 with shrinkage. Any other thoughts???
    That would be my guess as well.

I got a little excited when I saw this thread topic. I'm currently with Simple Mobile ($50 unlimited BBerry with BIS). I do like the fact I can use my beloved 9780 with a Simple Mobile SIM.
    My 2nd phone (Backup and leisure) is a Virgin Mobile Android on Sprint. I like having both a CDMA and a GSM phone so I can have two totally different footprints nationwide and usually can get coverage, but I prefer my Berry always. It's just a business machine.

If StraightTalk allowed GSM Berry Bring your own phone, I'd try it. I want to stay with my 9780. Too bad. Well, Simple Mobile has been very good, so no complaints.
    CrackBerry Genius

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Default Re: Straight Talk now has BlackBerry!

This is a little frustrating. I can't find any word if they support BIS or not. I have no idea.

I just find it very odd that they are selling their own BB (it's right on their site) but yet no BIS support. Uhm, that's a major reason why people use BBs.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cefotetan View Post
    So you can't access any Internet or emails?!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    CrackBerry Newbie

like TMO
    Rafting Tara
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

So does the plan include BIS Internet access with push email?
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ovalfastlx View Post
    So does the plan include BIS Internet access with push email?
    That I don't know. According to the website above it does but I've never seen it myself.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redtail34 View Post
    That I don't know. According to the website above it does but I've never seen it myself.
    Yeah that's what it says. Fairly new for reviews so more than likely have to wait.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

i bought the straight talk 9310 at walmart for my mother last week and I can confirm that it indeed features fully functioning BIS included in the 45 dollar a month plan which is the lowest price you will find for such a plan. Runs on the verizon network flawlessly. Only bummer is that instead of the 80.00 that boost charges for pretty much the same phone it is 129.99 at walmart however the boost plan is 60 a month for BIS
    Thanked by 2:
    ovalfastlx (03-12-2013),  wiggums66 (04-22-2013) 
    BlackBerry Diva

Not too bad, because the monthly plan is lower, she will be even after 4 months of use.
    ~DENISE~
    YES, I DO BELIEVE THAT I AM WORTH IT!

PLEASE STOP WITH THE LONG POSTS! YOU'RE BORING US.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts

interesting.
    I would consider it but I like my 9780 GSM based phone and Simple Mobile does $50 a month unlimited BIS. 5 bux more but you can Bring Your Own Berry BYOB

Sure wudn't mind being on Verizon's network though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry User

Got my ST 9310 on March 12. By the 15th, had no 3g data. Called support, had me call the activation number, had 3g data again. For 1 day. Keep trying the activation number, no effect. Will try calling one more time, might end up going with Boost.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I'll update more if I find out.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by bigbob417 View Post
    Got my ST 9310 on March 12. By the 15th, had no 3g data. Called support, had me call the activation number, had 3g data again. For 1 day. Keep trying the activation number, no effect. Will try calling one more time, might end up going with Boost.
    Turns out, gotta leave the wifi off for the 3G data to function. Must be a Verizon-related thing, the Boost 9310 I bought works fine with the wifi left on. Still might end up with Boost, as Straight Talk blocks bridged internet on my Playbook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

Turns out, gotta leave the wifi off for the 3G data to function. Must be a Verizon-related thing, the Boost 9310 I bought works fine with the wifi left on. Still might end up with Boost, as Straight Talk blocks bridged internet on my Playbook.
    So you need enable/disable wifi for 3G to work? How about the push email? Too bad the bridge.

using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Any word on BYOD? I am on the GSM service with an iPhone and an Atrix HD...would be great to toss a Q10 into the mix (when it comes out)...
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts

Can you use the rroyy bridge for this?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Would any of you guys who has the ST Curve be able to export the service books so that me and a buddy can edit them for GSM?

Thanks!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m24lightsout View Post
    i bought the straight talk 9310 at walmart for my mother last week and I can confirm that it indeed features fully functioning BIS included in the 45 dollar a month plan which is the lowest price you will find for such a plan. Runs on the verizon network flawlessly. Only bummer is that instead of the 80.00 that boost charges for pretty much the same phone it is 129.99 at walmart however the boost plan is 60 a month for BIS
    Would it be possible for you to export the Service Books from the ST 9310 and email them to me? Me and a buddy are going to edit them to see if we can get GSM BBs onto ST, and if so, it would be posted to CrackBerry, so it would be publicly available.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Another ST on BB Curve owner too! Can't beat the price on Verizon service even though you have to down grade from a 9960 Bold. But it has about the best battery I've seen on a BB phone and has worked flawlessly for the first week. The only thing I cannot get running is Waze, it won't recognize GPS. When I run GPS Tool it locks in fine, but while running it I'll launch Waze and within 30 seconds discounts GPS Tool from the satellites.

I told VZW to shove their upgrade fees when buying a new phone everytime. I switched three other lines and and will save $100 per month. Enough to say to VZW disconnect all four lines and I'll eat the early contract fees and will be ahead in 6 months.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    70,629 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norm95 View Post
    Another ST on BB Curve owner too! Can't beat the price on Verizon service even though you have to down grade from a 9960 Bold. But it has about the best battery I've seen on a BB phone and has worked flawlessly for the first week. The only thing I cannot get running is Waze, it won't recognize GPS. When I run GPS Tool it locks in fine, but while running it I'll launch Waze and within 30 seconds discounts GPS Tool from the satellites.

I told VZW to shove their upgrade fees when buying a new phone everytime. I switched three other lines and and will save $100 per month. Enough to say to VZW disconnect all four lines and I'll eat the early contract fees and will be ahead in 6 months.
    Is everything really unlimited?
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    Woopie Doopie we have em fun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast