Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by jcm4 View Post
    Wouldn't Microsoft be bigger?
    General Electric would get my vote
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have been with "Alltel" since 1995 and have seen this company go from "Metro Mobile" to "Cellular One" to Alltel. They have to grandfather the Alltel customers in. Nobody can change the plans and force you to adapt. You be able to keep using your features until you choose to change them. At least that is how it has worked in the past. Although I will agree that customer service will suffer.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Outatime97 View Post
    They have to grandfather the Alltel customers in. Nobody can change the plans and force you to adapt. You be able to keep using your features until you choose to change them.
    They better. Or I'm going to start murdering people.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    PIN
    229F779A

Quote Originally Posted by matt.volf View Post
    They better. Or I'm going to start murdering people.
    That's a reasonable response.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    715 Global Posts

Actually they could just tell Alltel customers "here's our plans, pick what you like, if you don't want them we'll let you out of your contract."
    CrackBerry Abuser

We had Verizon for four years and were so HAPPY to switch to Alltel. It was such a breath of fresh air -- and we actually can use our phones in the house, around town, and even in the remotest of locations. Where I live, Verizon coverage just stinks. Plans were also less expensive with Alltel, and customer service far better. Unfortunately, we signed up for Alltel only two days before Verizon announced its plans. YUCK! Talk about a bad dream.

I truly hope they don't change everything, but I'm sure Verizon will find a way to muck it up. They could grandfather, but I wouldn't put it past VZW to find a way to make you change everything, charge more for it, and try to convince you it is better.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    617 Global Posts
    PIN
    32FEDDE9

I think the law and the contract will protect us (the Alltel's customers) from any VZW, even though VZW will slum mock Alltel.
    They, the VZW, can not change the price of our contract or any features are included with our plan. However, I think they may compel us choose to change our current plan to their plan OR close our plan early!
    And if I have to choose, I will close my plan and think about ATT or TM. I really love Alltel !
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    319B57C9

I loved alltel too! I bet verizon will change the settings on their "new alltel towers" like cingular did when they bought att and tweak the settings so we will begin to drop calls so much we will migrate to verizon so we wont have to break our contracts early. If so i will migrate then cancel within my 14 day grace period and move to sprint simply everything plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I dont think this "merger" will go through. It is still pending approval from the FCC and with reading reports from people (in this thread) who say they only have VZW and Alltel in their area, which could obviously create a monopoly.

I love Alltel and I have heard so many negative things about VZW...the only bright side I could see is that the BB Thunder will be VZW exclusive.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #60  

For the deal to go final, they will have to promise to sell one set of licenses where both Alltel & VZW are the primary carriers - there will not be a 'monopoly' in those markets - the FCC won't allow it, let alone the DOJ's antitrust section.

You can wish it won't happen all you want...just don't whine when reality sets in and your wish does not come true.
    --
    Keith - kch50428@gmail.com
    BB9630TR
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I am not whining...I am just posting what I think...If you disagree thats fine, but DO NOT infer that I am whining.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Went into my Alltel store to have my replacement Pearl set up and heard several people discussing the buy out by Verizon. I asked the guy that was setting up my phone and he said that they just had a meeting about it yesterday. He said "come January we'll all be wearing the red". So apparently it's final?
    CrackBerry User

i was with verizon for 5 years. i finally had enough. even though through my work i get a 21% discount with verizon, i chose alltel even though verizon would have been cheaper. verizon has terrible phones, both selection and the fact that they cripple them. customer service is terrible. plus with alltel, my nights and weekends start at 7 instead of 9 and i have a 10 person circle. if verizon doesnt mess with alltel and lets them continue to opperate like they have been then i'll be fine. but if verizon takes over completely i'll have to move to ATT. i wont be a verizon customer again
    CrackBerry User

I thought Alltel has pretty sweet plans but unfortunately for me, service is a bit spotty in my part of the woods. My sis has service w/Alltel and sometimes calls don't make it through.

Either way, I think that SUCKS Verizon will be buying Alltel. I was just saying to my hub, what will happen to those plans? I doubt Vz will let those stand, it's too much competition!

I feel for you guys!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #65  

Quote Originally Posted by tjbrandt View Post
    Went into my Alltel store to have my replacement Pearl set up and heard several people discussing the buy out by Verizon. I asked the guy that was setting up my phone and he said that they just had a meeting about it yesterday. He said "come January we'll all be wearing the red". So apparently it's final?
    Far from it.
    --
    BB9630TR
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default My .02 FWIW

I have been with Alltel for several years. When we moved to this area we tried all the other carriers. Verizon absolutely stinks here--reception is poor, customer service is poor, plans are poor. When we finally found Alltel, we were very happy and have increased our service plans until we have three phones and the highest plan they offer. We ditched our landline (Verizon) because we don't need it anymore.

I don't really care whether the buyout happens. I'd be happy to pay Verizon just as much as Alltel if the level of service and support remains the same. But if they start messing with the service, I'll be out so fast it'll make their heads swim, and I'll tell them why. Loudly. And possibly with violence.

80 million customers have power. We should use it.

besiderself
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    11,906 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #67  

In places where Alltel & Verizon both have a presence - the FCC & DOJ will likely require one set of licenses be sold to another provider as a condition of approving the deal - of course, they will keep the set of licenses with the best coverage and existing infrastructure....so from a technical standpoint, the end user will get the best of both networks rolled into one.
    --
    BB9630TR
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me...

6/27 notes from the corn fields - Got my monthly paper copy of my Alltel bill last night. It was almost an apology from J. Fox, their COO (ops officer). It starts by announcing their agreement and goes on by saying that nothing will change for the duration of my contract, including circle and anytime plan changes. Their was no word of what happens after that. It was short, even terse, and said very little good or positive. On with the show, eh? Time will tell the tale. The SEC rquires that terms of the agreement be made public. We deserve to see it. Anybody?

CrackBerry User

It would stand to reason that they would honor the terms of current sontracts. However, what happens once the contract is up for renewal is another question. They could simply tell you its time to pick one of their plans or go away.

Another option, which would quite honestly make VZW a dominating force all around would be to offer pland in line with the Alltel plans.
    By doing that they could quickly become THE standard which other companies would then try to model themselves after.

CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    PM me...

I agree, and the Alltel that I know would do that. I guess what worries me is the unknown, or what is known to me only by its bad side, and that is VZN. I have been with Alltel for years with zero issues, awesome help and great service. I do not want to lose that.
    _danl
    CrackBerry User

Unfortunately it will take vzw having enough sense to look at Alltel and what makes them so popular with their customer base.
    Hopefully they will not just look at it like, we are are bigger and bought them, so our way is better. Everything I hear about vzw is they are very restrictive with the phone functionalities.

CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    35A83D93

Default What to do now?

My contract is up for renewal in September. In line with Alltel policy, I can renew my phone now.

I've got a kyocera slider that's done me well for two years, but the battery has had it. I got my wife one of the odler Blackberrys from eBay, after she broke her new phone (and didn't have insurance on it). She's really happy with it, so I'd like to get the Curve. (Only minus point is the 8830, unlike the 8820 has no wi-fi).

Anyway, what to do? I hear nothing good about Verizon. Their plans all look more expensive. Alltel has excellent service coverage here, which is why I've stuck with them for four years.

Do I get a new Alltel contract now? Do I get a CDMA BB from eBay? Do I buy a replacement battery for the Kyocera, and wait and see what happens in the new year?

Not sure on the best course of action, except that's I'd like a Blackberry, and don't want really want to take the other alternative - AT&T, as the service coverage sucks around here ( I had a PAYG cingular some time back), and they're expensive.
    CrackBerry User

Only real advantage to waiting is if you want a new BB coming out. The thunder touchscreen is due out with Verizon in a few months.
    The bold is due out this summer but with att.
    I'm in similar situation with my pearl. I can buy the curve for over 500 or go with a contract.
    I'm still deciding
    Even on eBay the Alltel curve is well over 500.

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    PIN
    e tar

welcome to the darkside. enjoy your features while you can. or this could be the best for all parties involved
    Critical Care Paramedic/Field Supervisor
    CrackBerry User

One thought is to upgrade on Alltel woth the curve. I'm locked in for two years but if the buyout is like sprint/Nextel, then breaking the contract to move to the other will not result in an early termination hosing.
    Verizon service here is pretty good overall and I rate a discount on their plans due to my job. Only reason to stay is I like the circle plan and my fiancÚ is on Alltel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast