Greetings, loyal CrackBerry users. Phil here from WMExperts as we return for the second half of the Smartphone Round Robin, and I have a few questions for you. Remember that anytime you respond here (or in any other RR thread), you're automatically entered to win a smartphone of your choice (up to $1,000). And, so ...

1. Good lord, there are a lot of BlackBerry models. (A lot like Windows Mobile.) How do you go about choosing which one you want?
    2. Seriously. A BlackBerry without a keyboard? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    3. How long can you ignore the blinking red light before you lose it?
    4. Would you like to see BlackBerry Messenger opened up to over smartphone platforms?
    5. Is the BIS/BES system a help? Or a single point of failure?
    6. All smartphones do e-mail, and most do it pretty well. So why stick with BlackBerry?

Thanks, everybody, and I'll be checking in from time to time.
    01-12-10 10:31 AM
    1 Whichever is the best one on AT&T, that's the one I get.
    2. I can see the purpose in a touchscreen BlackBerry, but it seems sacrilegious.
    3. I don't ignore the red light. The red means that someone wants to talk to me. I would never ignore that. Lol.
    4. Personally, I like that BBM is only on BlackBerry devices. Its an exclusivity thing.
    5. I love BIS. I haven't had many issues. Sure there is the occasional outage, but on the whole, its great.
    6. There isn't a better messaging device on the planet. The other smartphones do a lot, but not BB style. I'm not saying it is the best overall line of devices, but when it comes to messaging, there isn't a close competitor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-10 12:04 PM
    1. See what AT&T is offering, then read as many reviews as possible on the phones they offer. (GSM is important to me)

2. I'm not really a fan of the Storm or Storm 2 (to each his own I guess), I'd love to see a Blackberry with the Bold 9000 form factor, with the front facing hardware QWERTY keyboard and a capacitive touch screen.

3. No currently a Blackberry user, but knowing my personality, I could hold out for more than 5 seconds.

4. YES ('nough said)

5. I actually think its great. It gives users a level of ease of use that no company can match right now.

6. The instant messaging. It seems once people get a taste of it with friends, family and for business use, there really is no going back for them.
    01-12-10 12:48 PM
    1. I choose mine from reading reviews, and researching what it can do to better suit my needs.

2. BlackBerry without a keyboard is useless to me. If I didn't want a keyboard I would choose an iPhone.

3. I can not hold out for long.. Whenever I am in a meeting and the light starts blinking; my boss says "hold on Mr. BBGuru needs to check his BB."

4. I would rather see it stay on BB platform as it is only meant for BB. Do not get me wrong I would like to communicate with everyone on BBM. But hey if they do not have a BB then we do not need to be available that easily accessible...

5. BIS/ BES is helpful and easy to distinguish between the two..

6. Stick with BB. This is where it is at!!! Everyone get on board as BB will be around much longer than uuhhhmmm Say Apple iPhone!! (Corp World that is...)
    01-12-10 02:17 PM
    1. RESEARCH! You've got to know ahead if your main function is multi-media (Storm) or if you're more corporate (Bold).

2. A virtual keyboard is nice, no buttons to jam up, no keys to slide out, twist or turn and lock up on you.

3. The light can be shut off with an app (yep, there's even an app for that :-P) and it's a notification, there's programs to control it - or just check it! It's nice to know without looking in my mail...that I have mail!

4. I don't know about opening BBM to other servers or phones, personally, it's a "cult" thing. ha ha - but it's a nice free service that is offered.

5. As long as you know what you're running on, it's fine. The system crashes can be a pain, but I'm not important enough - corporately, to care. ha ha

6. Blackberry e-mail is pushed, that's a HUGE bonus over the iPhone. I want my phone to tell me when I have mail, if I wanted to check it to find out, I'd stick to a computer.
    01-12-10 02:28 PM
    1. I choose mine from reading reviews, and then making a decision on which one I want. On Verizon of course!

2. I think that BB is trying to dive into the multimedia market and everyone is really pushing touchscreens these days.

3. Haha I cannot hold out for more than a couple minutes, I need to know who is trying to contact me!!

4. I think BBM should be exclusive to those with BBs it is kind of like a cool club that you are in when you have one.

5. I think BIS/BES is helpful for different types of users.

6. While it is true that most smartphones do email now, BB still does it the best as far as being consistent and everything appears instantaneously.
    01-12-10 02:28 PM
    Greetings, loyal CrackBerry users. Phil here from WMExperts as we return for the second half of the Smartphone Round Robin, and I have a few questions for you. Remember that anytime you respond here (or in any other RR thread), you're automatically entered to win a smartphone of your choice (up to $1,000). And, so ...

1. Good lord, there are a lot of BlackBerry models. (A lot like Windows Mobile.) How do you go about choosing which one you want?
    4. Would you like to see BlackBerry Messenger opened up to over smartphone platforms?
    6. All smartphones do e-mail, and most do it pretty well. So why stick with BlackBerry?

Welcome, Phil! I follow your site as well. I actually use both a windows mobile phone (Fuze, Tilt before that) and a blackberry (Bold 9000). Both have their advantages over the other.

To answer your questions:

1. It's all about choosing the one with the most features you need. I wanted to be able to take advantage of 3G connection speed yet drop it down to EDGE to conserve battery when I needed to. I needed wifi capability and a real physical keyboard on board (the pearl doesn't count in my book). The bold fit the mold perfectly. Having a head phone jack on the phone is always a plus too as well.

2. Touch keyboard on a blackberry? Blasphemy! Though I would be nice to have a touch screen in the form factor of what the HP Glisten or Palm Treo Pro has. I probably wouldn't use it all that much that much but it would be nice to have for navigation purposes.

3. Red light = messaging time! I can ignore it for about 60 seconds before going mad.

4. I've always considered the blackberry messenger to be exclusive to RIM blackberries only. It's like a perk you get in being part of a club. It would be odd to see it on another non RIM phone.

5. Blackberry internet service push email is great on this phone. Compared to setting up a personal email on my windows mobile phones, the blackberry does it in a snap with no inputting of manual settings (mostly) and the push email capability is what piqued my interest. I like getting emails right away (so long as there is not an outage ).

6. Push Email is great. Good Build Quality (except for track balls). Loud speakerphone (for my Bold anyway). RIM has always made great phones in the bar phone with keyboard form factor.
    01-12-10 02:31 PM
    1. I choose my BlackBerry based on both, form and function. What's a lot of class without a bit of pizazz?

2. A BlackBerry is a BlackBerry. All of them are full of Multi-tasking goodness. But, I DO prefer a keyboard. And To-date, I think the Curve 8900 is sporting the BEST keyboard by far.

3. I actually CHECK for the red light. There is nothing like a fresh message!

4. The BlackBerry community is a tight-knit family! We don't want outsiders. Keep it on BlackBerrys. It's one of the reasons I've stuck with BlackBerry throughout the years.

5. Business and pleasure, Tuxedo and cardigan, Chablis and Spritzer! There's always a need to separate the two. After all, you wouldn't show up on Wall Street with lounge shoes on, would you?

6. BlackBerry security coupled with the ease and of course back to the keyboard, WE HAVE A WINNER! (Not to mention the red led when a new email comes in. That thing is addictive!)

01-12-10 02:41 PM
    1. I'm on Verizon. I'll take whatever their top of the line model is, and stick with it for a couple years until I can upgrade again.
    2. Tried a Storm. Didn't really like it. Now have a Tour. The change was worth it. Blackberry's are made to have keyboards!
    3. I never ignore the blinking light. Whenever I see it, I will check my messages. Everytime I look and it's NOT blinking I am disapointed!
    4. Yeah, why not. Might as well do away with texting all together! Currently with threaded texting it feels just like BBM anways (but costs $30/month).
    5. I'm on BIS. It's never been a problem for me. I love getting e-mails instantly. It makes it very easy to stay caught up.
    6. Push e-mail is a huge plus. Great keyboard, and overall high quality phone is also nice. Very productive phone for people who message (e-mail, SMS, IM, etc) a lot.
    01-12-10 02:46 PM
    Good lord, there are a lot of BlackBerry models. (A lot like Windows Mobile.) How do you go about choosing which one you want?
    Seriously. A BlackBerry without a keyboard? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    How long can you ignore the blinking red light before you lose it?
    Would you like to see BlackBerry Messenger opened up to over smartphone platforms?
    Is the BIS/BES system a help? Or a single point of failure?
    All smartphones do e-mail, and most do it pretty well. So why stick with BlackBerry?

1. I choose my blackberry based on what i need to do for business
    2. Eh, im a touch screen junkie so i dont really like the physical keyboards
    3. The red light lets me know that i have a message without having to waste battery by turning it on to check
    4. BBM is one of hte reasons why i continually buy blackberries, its awesome, i dont think it would really matter if it was opened up tho. I mean technically, you can have someones email on BBM
    5. I dont really know enough about BES to comment
    6. Its all about ease and efficiency with email, which BB has
    01-12-10 02:48 PM
    1. The one that best suits my needs and of course my pocket.

2. A BlackBerry without a keyboard? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Not really. If I can type almost as easy as on the keyboard, than I'd lose the keyboard for bigger screen, anytime.

3. About 1-2 minutes, or else, I just turn my Blackberry upside down so that I don't see the red light blinking to stop it from driving me crazy LOL.

4. Nope, the exclusivity is fine with me. Kinda makes you know that you're talking with someone who uses a blackberry too. Besides, if it crosses over to other smartphone platforms, the name won't be BlackBerry Messenger any longer.

5. I love BIS soooo very much. It's always nice to have options like BIS and BES.

6. One word, and it's enough to make blackberry the winner in my eyes : PUSH. Can't even tell you how many times it's saved me from missing my important e-mails.
    01-12-10 02:50 PM
    1. I use the following criteria: mobile carrier (I prefer VZW with world-phone capaibility), size, keyboard style, GPS/WiFi included
    2. I agree with you, a keyboard-less Blackberry defeats the purpose of having a Blackberry.
    3. I can go hours ignoring the blinking red light.
    4. I'd love to see BBM opened up to other platforms (read: Android). Think about AIM...it used to only be for AOL subscribers, but AOL eventually opened it up to non-subscribers too. Maybe RIM can do something similar.
    5. I used to have a personal and work BB, hence I have experience with both BIS and BES. Both systems have been a help for me (BIS gave me the opportunity to have push email for a non-corporate email while BES gave me added security).
    6. Umm...(still thinking)...BBM?
    Last edited by herooftimeloz; 01-12-10 at 02:59 PM.
    01-12-10 02:56 PM

You are ostensibly choosing BlackBerry because messaging and/or PIM is your priority. Choosing a model is, for most, first a matter of carrier, either by preference, availability and quality of service in your area, and cost.

If you have disposable income, don't care about ETFs, need to have the latest-greatest, or always buy unlocked and jump from bed to bed depending on the best deal, you have some other choices to make: QWERTY, SureType, or touchscreen?

Is full QWERTY a dealbreaker, or can you live with SureType's half-QWERTY? If it's full QWERTY, there are 2 keyboard styles to choose from; the Curve-style, with smaller, more separated, chiclet keys, and the Bold style, with 3 rows of wider-but-still-distinct keys separated by 3 frets that help avoid mis-keys. People with larger fingers ~tend~ to prefer the Bold-style keys.

SureType (in physical form factor) is only available on the Pearl models, and the Pearl Flip is only available on T-Mobile.

If not having a physical keyboard doesn't stop your heart, or if screen real estate is your priority, or you REALLY just like touching things, the Storm 2 is really the only option for you. Unfortunately (IMO), that means you are stuck with VZW as your carrier, unless you can live with EDGE and an unlocked phone.

Other things to consider: is 3G required? Are you a ball-buster, better suited to a slick optical trackpad or touchscreen? (We're pretty sure RIM is ditching the ball, anyhoo, so this probably won't be an issue for long).

It's not without a keyboard. In fact, it has two.

Blazingly Fast BlackBerry Storm 2 Typing Video! | The BlackBerry Zone

YouTube - craigc1264's Channel
    How long can you ignore the blinking red light before you lose it?

Haven't lost it yet. Yet.

4. Would you like to see BlackBerry Messenger opened up to other smartphone platforms?

Not really. It's a benefit of the RIM platform and part of their business model. It works, well, and opening it up to other platforms invites a whole host of connection and communication issues I can do without. I'd prefer that more people switch to BlackBerries.

Seriously, though, in the Enterprise, it would make sense to have a similar direct messaging system between employees regardless of platform. No sense forcing an iPhone user to also carry a company BB, unless there are other issues, like security, at stake. Of course, there are other messaging services that may not use SMS, but nothing as integrated and powerful as BBM. I am waiting for Whatsapp to mature and become more popular. In the meantime, I'm focusing on converting people.

Hmmm. Well, it does add another crop of variables into the mix. BES, without a doubt, is worth the risk for larger companies. BIS, in my experience, needs a little polishing, but it still has (overall) a fantastic track record. *cough*Sidekick*cough* I've been a BlackBerry user for two and a half years, and I can count the number of BIS outages I've had on 1 hand. AT&T, on the other hand, would have to include the other hand.

Push, seamless integration with almost everything else the device does, reliability (yes, even BIS), BBM, and, perhaps most importantly, the Sonar Ping alert tone.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 01-12-10 at 03:02 PM.
    01-12-10 02:59 PM
    1. Its easy, whenever in doubt go with black. i.e blackberry.
    2. Well i think it gives people who love touchscreen phones to still enjoy the blackberry and its benefits.
    3. its better then watching the phart and beer drinking application over and over again.
    4. No. Why would you want BBM to open up.
    5. Loads of help.
    6. You cant go to board meeting wearing jeans and t-shirt.
    same way you cant take out an iphone instead of a blackberry.
    01-12-10 03:06 PM
    Interesting questions. Here are my thoughts:

1. For me, choosing a phone entails, lots of research--including professional reviews, Crackberry reviews, and other user reviews. After that, definitely comparing the specs of the phone to those before it, and comparing it to my needs and wants.

Also, your service provider limits your choices, if you're loyal or under contract. I use Verizon, so right now I'm using the 8330 Curve and looking at the Storm2 or hoping for the Tour2.

2. NOT AT ALL. I admit, I was skeptical prior to the first Storm, but after seeing upgrades and testing them out--and now with the Storm2--I'm a firm believer in BBs with touch screens.

For me, BlackBerry is all about reliability, functionality, and user interface. I love how BlackBerry manages my different email accounts and syncs perfectly with my Microsoft Outlook. I can see all my meetings for the week, have all of my email contacts synced, and can browse the web. And in that case, a touch screen means better web browsing.

3. Three blinks is pushing it. You think I'm kidding?

4. Yes and no. There's something special about being a BlackBerry user that would be lost if it opened up. On a more realistic note, I doubt it could work the same, since BBM works over BIS. Two of the things I love most about BBM are PING and seeing if the recipient has read the message. Doubt other manufacturers could handle that.

5. The BIS/BES system is a help I believe. I use BIS and love all it offers to me. BES seems great to me, since it offers companies a level of control over their users and helps keep the workplace connected. I've never used BES, so I can't comment from experience, though.

6. First, ease of use. Setting up email with BlackBerry is cake. I love the push feature--I'm instantly notified. I love how the BlackBerry separates or combines my messaging according to account and preference. And I love how I can email, with ease, from my phone from any account from ANYWHERE. I don't have to worry about getting work done, even if I'm away from my computer.

Anyway, my answers were rather long, so I'll cut it short here. Thanks for the Round Robin and all your insights. Hope my answers give you a look into why BlackBerry is so great!
    01-12-10 03:14 PM

1. Online and magazine reviews for starters help me narrow down the search of the device that I THINK might work best for me, then I talk to all my blackberry addicted friends to hear their input. From there I head to my local provider and take test runs on all of the potential phones and find the one that "chooses me" as its owner.
    2. QWERTY is the only true keyboard. I've had the Storm 9530 for about a half a year now and STILL am unable to properly type text messages and emails in a timely manner. Don't even get me started on the storms T9; It's the bane of my existence.
    3. It has never gotten to 2 blinks. Ever.
    4. When I get a BBM I always think to myself that I'm in some sort of fancy club with secret red notes that only the members are allowed to read. Lets keep it exclusive.
    5. I enjoy that we have the ability to choose between the two. Depending on the environment, setting, and the purpose of the device makes all the difference.
    6. Because Blackberries rule the market for smart phones (and possibly my life..). Push email, BBM, clear and crisp phone calls, being able to open multiple applications, and managing my calendar... without my Blackberry I probably would never make it anywhere on time.
    01-12-10 03:17 PM
    1.) I think this dependds on which carrier you use. I choose phones after research. etc
    2.) Not sure having a keybaord is always the best option. I am withh Ay&t and the Storm 2 intrigues me.

3.) I actually like the blinking red light. Tells me if I have messages even if silent. Much better then my current windows mobile.

4.) BlackBerry Messenger is interesting but I don't use any IM all that much.

5.) BIS/BEx is a help and a point of failure. Stays up more then anything I know.

6.) Most phones do email okay. I have had the iPhone, Windows mobile and a Blackberry. The iPhones email was okay but if I wanted to check all the time drained my battery. Windows Mbile email is a mess to use and a pain to set up especilayy hotmail.
    01-12-10 03:33 PM
    1. I personally just look for the latest and greatest, at the time tour was the hottness being offered by Verizon.....yes the storm can be argued to be up there and I have been thinking about getting the storm 2.....just dont want to shell out full price
    2. I kind of like the idea of a larger touch screen....
    3. Its against BB law to ignore the red light....you must always aknowledge the red light
    4. BBM belongs to Blackberry end of story
    5. BIS is great...yeah occasionally it may go down but track record is great
    6. Just cause all fast food restaurants serve food doesnt mean they do it well...I have seen email sites and mobile email sites go down but blackberry is still able to push emails through......its great wam bam thank you sam
    01-12-10 03:37 PM
    First off.....there are tons of very useful threads here on the CB forums. I've learned a lot here.

1. First I would see which BlackBerry models that the carriers in my area have to offer. In my case, that would be Verizon. I go by how the model feels in my hands, how easy it is to navigate and type with. And of course how it looks. But mainly, it just has to feel right.
    2. Since no one has defined the "purpose" of a BlackBerry to include a physical keyboard, and many people use their BlackBerrys for many different purposes, no, its a different style for different tastes. Besides, technically, every BlackBerry has a keyboard...of some sort.
    3. Lol. In my case, it depends on what its blinking for. I have Berry Buzz so its actually many colors. In any case, the minute I notice it, I have to address it.
    4. I think there are enuff im clients for other phones to use BBM is a way to connect with other BlackBerry owners. A club type thing if you will.
    5. There are issues with any server or internet system. None are perfect. There are things that could improve it, but there are also things that make it stand above.
    6. My BlackBerry is a way for me to do my work anywhere I am without the bulk of a laptop. I don't just use it for email. In fact, that's the least used application on my BlackBerry. I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY!!!!

01-12-10 03:44 PM
    1. To decide which Blackberry is the best for you, you have to decide what you want the device to do. Of course, the latest and greatest is a good place to start.

2. With or without the keyboard again goes to customer choice. If you want one with a keyboard you go with something like the 9700, or without you can go with the Storm 2.

3. The red light will make you address the blinking, but it does let you know you have a message without having to make a noise.

4. BBM is great when you are not able to take a call. It would be nice if it was spread out over the other devices.

5. BIS/BES can be a problem when it goes down, but I have not hathat doesn't happen very often.

6. Why not stick with something that works so well.
    01-12-10 03:46 PM
    1. It gets issued to me by my company (although I was able to pretty much tell them what I wanted. As long as it was a VZW world phone).
    2. I quite like the Storm2 (that my company gave me); a large screen is nice (and that HD2 is awfully sexy for that reason) and the keyboard can go away when you don't need it. That said, I'm really looking forward to the upcoming BB touchscreen/ slider (Dakota?)...
    3. It depends. If I'm having Sex or watching baseball it's pretty easy to ignore...
    4. Ehhh... why don't you just get a BB? (Although really it's more a worry that other platforms will crash the system.)
    5. Umm... I need to check this blinking red light. I'll be right back...
    6. Kevin told us to.
    01-12-10 03:48 PM
    1. What to get? It was all about the research for me. I spent a lot of time on the forums trying to get a feel for the types of experiences people were having. I also went into Verizon a few times to get a real feel for the phones they had. I ended up with a Storm 2 and am loving it.
    2. I started out with a Curve 8330 and thought that I couldn't live without a keyboard, but once I played around with the Storm 2's touchscreen, I was impressed with how easy the transition was. My wife texts like a fiend on the Storm keeps up with her just fine, so they must have done something right.
    3. Must obey the LED.....I'll admit I love to see it calling me with its siren song.
    4. I admit, I wouldn't mind seeing BBM extended to other devices. I don't know if it's practical or even a good idea, but one of the things that kept me with BB was messenger.
    5. I don't have any thoughts on BIS.
    6. I stick with Blackberry because it hasn't let me down yet. I'm a Crackberry fiend.
    01-12-10 03:58 PM
    1. I go with whatever at&t has. My employer pays my bill, but I'm limited to at&t. Otherwise I'd be on Verizon & the choice would be tougher.

2. I had a storm for a while and the soft keyboard suits most needs, except I missed shortcuts tremendously (hold down "h" to call home, for example)

3. Become one with the red light. Do not resist it

4. I would love to see bbm on othere platforms. No idea how to make it happen, but would be nice.

5. Bis/bes is a help in my opinion.

6. Nobody takes security as seriously as BB. Apple got close with 3gs, but it's very very easy to crack due to the implementation method. Droid has some libraries available I'm told, but nobody is using them yet as far as I know for full device encryption. Winmo...well, it's still windows. I am required by my employer to have REAL full device encryption, so BB is my only option.

01-12-10 04:17 PM
    Another great week of Round Robin!
    01-12-10 04:21 PM
    I agree. Love round robin week.

I liked the questions posted.

Can't ignore the blinking red light at all!
    01-12-10 04:29 PM
228 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD