Enjoy!!!

07-17-09 12:03 AM
    Too bad the extra $20 a month for the TP2 data plan kills it as an option. Otherwise I'd consider it. Just waiting on the N97 prices to tank a bit more for my upgrade =)
    07-17-09 02:06 AM
    @Papped for which carrier?

And I remember my first two phones were a Nokia. Seeing Nokia step up their phones ALMOST makes me want to join a GSM company, but both carriers have horrible plans

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 08:24 AM
    AT&T. Data is only $10 a month for unbranded phones and $30 a month for branded smartphones.
    07-17-09 10:55 AM
    Papped, the GSM version of the Touch Pro 2 does it have the compatible bands for AT&T for 3G or they didn't implement it? It's one hella phone man would be such a waste. But the phone i think you would like which the most slept on phone is the HTC Touch HD which is their flagship device, might as well wait on that one. The specs on that phone which came out last year, is still better than even the pro and these other phones and it does have a 3.5mm head jack built in. I'm on the look out for HTC touch HD 2 but haven't heard anything yet.
    07-17-09 11:32 AM
    Yeah that's why I put up with Sprint's phone selections. Cheaper plans

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-09 11:47 AM
    Papped, the GSM version of the Touch Pro 2 does it have the compatible bands for AT&T for 3G or they didn't implement it? It's one hella phone man would be such a waste. But the phone i think you would like which the most slept on phone is the HTC Touch HD which is their flagship device, might as well wait on that one. The specs on that phone which came out last year, is still better than even the pro and these other phones and it does have a 3.5mm head jack built in. I'm on the look out for HTC touch HD 2 but haven't heard anything yet.
    Only the AT&T version is going to have AT&T 3g compatibility probably. The reason is tmobile uses a different frequency (if they ever got the TP2) and AT&T is going to start relying on 850mhz more and more.

The Samsung Omnia HD for example only has 1900mhz for 3g network. You would want 850mhz + 1900mhz for AT&T 3g. This happens a lot unfortunately. This is why it's easy to screw yourself buying international phones. Yeah they are GSM. Yeah they say they support GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, except generally they don't support 850mhz 3g....
    Last edited by papped; 07-17-09 at 12:49 PM.
    07-17-09 12:46 PM
    Wait, Touch HD and TP2 are two different devices? I've always thought that Pro 2 was HD. Is it coming to the states?
    07-17-09 12:53 PM
    TP2 isn't the TouchHD, and the TouchHD will never come to the states.
    07-17-09 01:25 PM
    Wait, Touch HD and TP2 are two different devices? I've always thought that Pro 2 was HD. Is it coming to the states?
    No Sinternet they are completely different devices. The Touch HD is the crim della crim of the HTC devices lol. The HD1 had a 5 mega pixel camera, a 528 Mhz Qualcomm processor, 480 x800 wvga screen, 512mb rom 288 mb ram, built in fm radio and 3.5mm head jack. HTC's other devices are just playing catch up now and this was with the Touch HD1 can't wait to see what they have in stored for the HD 2.
    07-17-09 01:58 PM
    Only the AT&T version is going to have AT&T 3g compatibility probably. The reason is tmobile uses a different frequency (if they ever got the TP2) and AT&T is going to start relying on 850mhz more and more.

The Samsung Omnia HD for example only has 1900mhz for 3g network. You would want 850mhz + 1900mhz for AT&T 3g. This happens a lot unfortunately. This is why it's easy to screw yourself buying international phones. Yeah they are GSM. Yeah they say they support GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, except generally they don't support 850mhz 3g....
    Gotcha, but isn't it really AT&T's fault why the international GSM phones don't support the 3g data network that AT&T offers due to AT&T using a different band than the international GSM phones for data. Voice is good but with data they chose to use a different frequency. Everything could have been so simple.
    07-17-09 02:02 PM
    There's been rumors that HTC will launch an unbranded version to NA, which means it would support US 3g.

Will have to wait and see if that's true though...
    07-17-09 02:03 PM
    There's been rumors that HTC will launch an unbranded version to NA, which means it would support US 3g.

Will have to wait and see if that's true though...
    If that is true wow ive found my next phone hopefully its the rumored HTC HD 2 aka the firestone.
    07-17-09 03:49 PM
    No Sinternet they are completely different devices. The Touch HD is the crim della crim of the HTC devices lol. The HD1 had a 5 mega pixel camera, a 528 Mhz Qualcomm processor, 480 x800 wvga screen, 512mb rom 288 mb ram, built in fm radio and 3.5mm head jack. HTC's other devices are just playing catch up now and this was with the Touch HD1 can't wait to see what they have in stored for the HD 2.
    I had a crush on HD, but turned my back on it because it was WinMo. I just thought that Touch Pro was the newly remodeled HD, which was a terrible idea to me. Can't imagine if I was going crazy over it, and it never came to the states. Firestone seems promising but we'll see. I really want to see SuperStar the most.
    07-17-09 04:12 PM
    I had a crush on HD, but turned my back on it because it was WinMo. I just thought that Touch Pro was the newly remodeled HD, which was a terrible idea to me. Can't imagine if I was going crazy over it, and it never came to the states. Firestone seems promising but we'll see. I really want to see SuperStar the most.
    Yes, the Superstar is going to be a monster with that nVidia APX Tegra platform HTC is really making a statement with their upcoming releases. I'm hearing that the firestone is going to be the star and has the Qualcomm 8250 chipset so i guess the Superstar will probably be the new flagship device with that nVidia chipset both should come pre loaded with windows 6.5 wow.
    07-17-09 08:29 PM
    As much as I like my 5800, this will probably be my last Nokia. I've only recently gotten into symbian and i've seen Nokia make so quite a few minblowingly stupid decisions that I really don't like where they're going...

Initially I was going to wait for the n97 price to drop (which is happening pretty fast) and upgrade, but I think i'm gonna pass on Nokia's now.
    07-19-09 03:13 AM
    As much as I like my 5800, this will probably be my last Nokia. I've only recently gotten into symbian and i've seen Nokia make so quite a few minblowingly stupid decisions that I really don't like where they're going...

Initially I was going to wait for the n97 price to drop (which is happening pretty fast) and upgrade, but I think i'm gonna pass on Nokia's now.
    What are the problems that you are finding with it? Turns out that the Touch Pro 2 will be shipping with a built in 3.5 mm head jack instead of the dongle they provided with the diamond and Touch Pro 1 Video reveals TELUS HTC Touch Pro2 with 3.5mm audio jack : Boy Genius Report
    07-20-09 01:28 AM
    I want a Nokia again but Sprint doesn't have any
    07-20-09 11:03 AM
    What are the problems that you are finding with it? Turns out that the Touch Pro 2 will be shipping with a built in 3.5 mm head jack instead of the dongle they provided with the diamond and Touch Pro 1 Video reveals TELUS HTC Touch Pro2 with 3.5mm audio jack : Boy Genius Report
    Yeah that's only the Telus version though. No good for the US buyers.

It more has to do with Nokia's poor decisions.
    Instead of updating the N97/5800 they are releasing the 5530.
    -5800 is missing features like kinetic scrolling
    -the homescreen is useless
    -no portrait qwerty keyboard (except for mini which requires stylus)
    -browser sometimes crashes, etc.
    -The N97 is missing the virtual keyboard entirely and has had some stability issues as well (widgets + low ram doesn't help).

What is the 5530? A cheaper model of the 5800 with a slightly faster cpu, kinetic scrolling and no 3g. Because of this release the feature enhancements for the 5800 are getting pushed back to later this year. Top that off with Nokia being historically bad at releasing updates for every region. Not uncommon for NA to have to wait months after an update is released to have it actually be available for NA phones (happens to a ton of other regions also).

Makes no sense whatsoever...
    The N97 is a mid range phone marked up to a high range price. You can buy from any other manufacturer and get more for the same money, except for maybe the 5800. But the 5800 isn't exactly very well specd hardware wise...
    Last edited by papped; 07-20-09 at 12:37 PM.
    07-20-09 12:34 PM
    I want a Nokia again but Sprint doesn't have any
    Sprint is probably not willing to take a risk on them as right now the cell phone/smartphone/pda os market to me is narrowed down to Windows mobile, Android, Blackberries, web os and the iphone os with the manufacturers being HTC, RIM, Apple, Palm. Anyone in between is gonna have a hard time getting peoples money.

Yeah that's only the Telus version though. No good for the US buyers.

It more has to do with Nokia's poor decisions.
    Instead of updating the N97/5800 they are releasing the 5530.
    -5800 is missing features like kinetic scrolling
    -the homescreen is useless
    -no portrait qwerty keyboard (except for mini which requires stylus)
    -browser sometimes crashes, etc.
    -The N97 is missing the virtual keyboard entirely and has had some stability issues as well (widgets + low ram doesn't help).

What is the 5530? A cheaper model of the 5800 with a slightly faster cpu, kinetic scrolling and no 3g. Because of this release the feature enhancements for the 5800 are getting pushed back to later this year. Top that off with Nokia being historically bad at releasing updates for every region. Not uncommon for NA to have to wait months after an update is released to have it actually be available for NA phones (happens to a ton of other regions also).

Makes no sense whatsoever...
    The N97 is a mid range phone marked up to a high range price. You can buy from any other manufacturer and get more for the same money, except for maybe the 5800. But the 5800 isn't exactly very well specd hardware wise...
    That does sound bad are you passed your 30 day period, what are you going to switch to now? I think the Telus Touch Pro 2 might be the first to be released so there are rumors now that the US models might be shipped with the 3.5mm head jack. Hopefully its true.
    07-20-09 01:26 PM
    I might go for the xperia x1, since I can get a pretty good deal on it. There's tons of custom roms to get TF3d on the x1.

The x2 looks awesome, but I question the release time and I think it's gonna be quite expensive...
    07-20-09 02:10 PM
    One other issue is the flash support...

5800 can play .swf games, just put it on your memory card. Sounds great, right?

Except that the fullscreen implementation is broken and displays a virtual dpad over 30% of the screen. There used to be a way around it. Create an .html file and embed the .swf locally. Launch the html file and the .swf game would play fullscreen in the browser (with the downside that you can't use the flash controls for pause, change quality, etc).

Except they broke the workaround in the latest firmware v21 and the 5800/N97 cannot be downgraded in firmware..... Even if you could downgrade though, you'd have the flash workaround but be stuck with all the problems in firmware v20. So it wouldn't be worth it.

So now I have all these flash games that I can't play because they are scaled down 30% so everything is too small.
    07-20-09 04:49 PM
    One other issue is the flash support...

5800 can play .swf games, just put it on your memory card. Sounds great, right?

Except that the fullscreen implementation is broken and displays a virtual dpad over 30% of the screen. There used to be a way around it. Create an .html file and embed the .swf locally. Launch the html file and the .swf game would play fullscreen in the browser (with the downside that you can't use the flash controls for pause, change quality, etc).

Except they broke the workaround in the latest firmware v21 and the 5800/N97 cannot be downgraded in firmware..... Even if you could downgrade though, you'd have the flash workaround but be stuck with all the problems in firmware v20. So it wouldn't be worth it.

So now I have all these flash games that I can't play because they are scaled down 30% so everything is too small.
    Definitely sounds like a headache, wow even the blackberry and its short comings allow you to downgrade if your'e not happy with a firmware. The X1 is a solid WM device. X2 and Omnia HD looks like contenders. I'd dump the nokia 5800 in a heartbeat for the X1. I'm gonna keep my bold being that its solid as my fall back phone. Still looking for my number 1 phone. But between september and january we should be seeing really nice things coming hopefully. Thanks for keeping us updated on the issues with the Nokia 5800.
    07-20-09 05:55 PM
    Here is a detailed comparison review between HTC Touch Pro2 and Nokia N97. I like HTC Touch Pro2 better though. Nokia N97 looks like a music player than a smartphone, and Symbian is not a popular OS.

Review Battle between HTC Touch Pro2 and Nokia N97
    07-20-09 08:50 PM
    Most phones being released (and some that already are) destroy the N97 in specs in every way except for screen color (N97 has 16m colors) and the 32gb internal storage (overrated and expensive imo).

The N97 would have been great if it was maybe $500 at launch, $400ish now. But $700 retail at launch was ridiculous.
    07-20-09 10:32 PM
104 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD