This phone is awkward. My dad's gf has one, and she's had a Pearl. I'm not sure what she's enjoyed more, but I'd have to say BB > G1. Basically the hype is this: OHMAHGAWD GOOGLEMAPS YAYYYYYYYYYYY~!~!~!

Honestly though, having to 'snap' open the keyboard everytime to type something is annoying. The sound it makes sounds like its about to break off. Very sidekick-ey. The trackball is hard to move, and the touch screen didn't work to wonderful either.

Although, the barcode scanner app is pretty amazing.
    11-06-08 01:15 AM
    I just played with it a bit ago...a coworker of mine had it and i messed with it for awhile. I like the fact that it has 3G and Wi-fi but the design of it just feels weird in my hands. It's very simple and the camera has no flash. 4 buttons on the front that feel kinda flimsy but i like the trackball on it. It runs very smoothly. I like the landscape mode and from what my co worker told me, you can download alot of free apps just like the iPhone. I didn't like the keyboard cause the keys were too far apart and it just felt weird to use. It was really light which was unexpected but it still a bit too bulky for me. She also told me the battery life is horrible. She had it fully charged this morning, downloaded a few apps and played some games and it's now half way down (and it's about to be 1:00pm) I had my Curve at full battery this morning, downloaded and ran Vlingo, played music through it and IMed and texted all morning before I went to work and I just barely went down in battery about 1/4 of a bar. Overall, I like the touchscreen feel and aspect of the phone but the way it feels and the lagging of the 3G didn't impress me. I think I'd rather wait for the 8900 too...Now if only that had 3G it would be great!
    11-15-08 02:52 PM
    i played with one last monday at my local tmo store, and thursday i ordered one. after a year with my 8130, i'm willing to eat the ETF and jump networks. tired of the vzw+bb combo. i'm horribly ripped off by verizon (at the time, they were the only ones that would give me a contract), my hardware is neutered, and os updates have always been slow. when a new os comes out, a fixed bug always gets replaced by a new one. my pearl is still constantly running out of memory, there's a **** poor selection of software from 3rd parties, etc etc etc.

the g1, however, is already getting a lot of good 3rd party support, the hardware isn't locked down, i'll be getting some real 3g (evdo-a feels like i'm on a 128k isdn line, hsdpa feels like dsl).

the storm is coming with too little, and too late. it's a shame that it's being stuck on verizon.
    11-16-08 02:15 AM
    You guys are all complaining about the styling of the hardware... The awesome part of the Google phone is Android, the OS.

I am yet to see one, but for sure a lot more manufacturers will be making anderoid phones. And RIM has to up the game.
    Hmm, that might happen...
    * Kogan Technologies, an Australian technology manufacturer, has announced Android-compatible handsets the Kogan Agora and Kogan Agora Pro to be released on 29 January 2009.

* Openmoko phones (Neo FreeRunner and Neo 1973). Following Google's release of the Android source code on 21 October 2008, efforts have begun to port Android to the Neo FreeRunner, Neo 1973 and other Openmoko phones.[36] As of 4 November 2008 (2008 -11-04)[update], the whole source stack compiles, with the kernel, user interface and most applications working, but telephony, SMS, suspend/resume and wifi, which rely on lower level hardware features, are not fully working.[37][38]

* In September 2008, Motorola confirmed that it was working on hardware products that would run Android. [39]

* Huawei Technologies is planning to launch smartphones that would run Android in Q1 2009.[40]

* Lenovo is working an Android-based mobile phone that supports the Chinese 3G TD-SCDMA standard.[41]

* HTC is planning a "portfolio" of Android based phones to be released summer of 2009.[42]

* Sony Ericcson is planning to release an Android based handset in the summer of 2009.[43]

* Samsung plans to offer a phone based on Google's Android operating system in the second quarter of 2009.[44]
    Sounds like Summer next year we can really see what impact Android can have on the smartphone market.
    12-25-08 09:11 PM
    It really depends on what you need in a phone.

For me it can not bluetooth data and that is a huge downfall for me. I love to bluetooth and set things very personal. For that it is not good.

I also think that the keypad is akward to type on and I like things that can be nice looking as well as functional. It ain't for me.
    12-26-08 07:03 PM
    Hmm, I am not a fan of the G1 as well. I have played with it a time or two as well. The form factor throws me off a bit as well as the OS, as Jay pointed out, seems to be a little buggy. I did not find the typing to be all that bad on it.
    12-26-08 07:08 PM
    AGain, I love my G1. The keyboard doesn't bother me but I had a sidekick slide before I ever switched over to the blackberry's, so that's probably why it doesn't bother me. As for the trackball, I don't think I have used mine yet except to draw on the etch a sketch. lol. But...One thing about it's trackball that I like is that there isn't a lot of space around it, like on the BB. There was always so much room for little **** to fall down around the trackball on the BB, that isn't goin to happen with the track on the G1
    01-16-09 01:58 PM
    But...One thing about it's trackball that I like is that there isn't a lot of space around it, like on the BB. There was always so much room for little **** to fall down around the trackball on the BB, that isn't goin to happen with the track on the G1
    I've been hearing SOOOO much about the Storm's problem with dust getting trapped under the screen... so this is definitely a plus!
    02-03-09 04:08 PM
    about 5 of my friends have the g1 and it IS the ugliest thing ever. i don't think it was that impressive either. my friend was showing me all the "cool" things it could do and i just thought it was lame. bbs ftw
    02-08-09 08:38 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD