And not only is it the ugliest phone ever, it wasn't all that impressive either. I hated the keypad, as it was very awkward to use. There is quite a lot of unused space on the device itself.the OS was nice but I found navigation a bit tedious. Maybe its something I have to get used to if I owned it. Anyway, that was my brief encounter with it. Anyone else play with one?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-08 08:35 PM
    I'm going to pay my bill on Friday and I plan on playing with it a little bit. I hate the look of it from the pics I've seen of it!

10-22-08 08:42 PM
    I don't like the look of the device, at all. I don't get what the hype is.
    10-22-08 08:45 PM
    THe hype has nothing to do with the phone. It's the OS. Agreed, the phone is terrible looking. No design to it. It's like taking a porsche engine (OS) and putting it in a Chevy Citation. Some people won't care about the design. I think for releasing a new hyped OS the phone was a major flaw for marketing. Bad choice. HTC I guess made the phone? They've done much better in the past. But supposedly the Google Android OS is supposed to be great. Haven't played with it yet. Actually don't plan on it either. I await the 8900.
    10-22-08 09:12 PM
    I played with one and I think the look is very similar to that of the Wing. My Tmob rep was trying to get me to buy it. I would have to say...Im good.
    10-22-08 11:41 PM
    A couple of co-workers had it at my job today and the OS was pretty good.

I did not like the keyboard as well, but I realized it is something you would get used to as the co-workers that had them were typing with ease with them.

Gmail push is cool, but I don't use Gmail (although I have an account)

The black is definitely prototype 'ish and I have not seen the other colors in person. The banana shape is still throwing me off a bit.

All and all, pretty good for the 1st generation, but I hope that they improve on the next one in regards to the physical and maybe even the software as I did see a couple of funky things going on like when I was putting one of the icons onto the home screen, I had to do it twice as it did not register the first time.

The other thing is that the App Store was not ready and they probably wanted to release the g1 and Google was probably unable to push the release of the Market back.
    10-23-08 01:03 AM
    Don't know what you guys are talking about I'm using mine right now and I love it (casual user). UI is the best I've seen and it works like a charm.

10-23-08 01:52 AM
    i have one in my hand right now and it is amazing. the keypad does feel awkward at first if your used to a blackberry. but after about a day of use it gets a whole lot easier to use.
    10-23-08 09:13 PM
    My wife has her's now and I can't stop playing with it. I think once the developers get rolling with the Android code we are going to see some wild stuff.
    I don't mind the design, not my favorite, but I would rock it.
    10-24-08 11:56 AM
    I played with it, i was impressed.

Would never buy one (even if it had a great network) as long as i could not pull the trackball out myself.

Right now...i dont think you can service the trackball, that is a deal killer for me.
    10-24-08 02:34 PM
    whats wrong with the trackball i think it is pretty good

10-25-08 05:15 PM
    So far I've seen a lot of people plyin with the g1 but im not impressed nor am impressed with an iphone g3 the phones get tons of hype sure os is sweet but the design is horrible on the thing personally ill stick with my sidekick 08 and pearl 8120
    10-26-08 12:30 PM
    whats wrong with the trackball i think it is pretty good

nothing in a brand-new phone.

But trackballs , just like Mice(pre-laser) Get dirty.

You want to be able to pull them out.

I work in a store that sells blackberrys, I would never buy a phone that has a trackball i cant pull out and clean.

Blackberrys rock, but if we could not pull the track ball out to clean and replace($4.95) They would be as problmatic phones, maybe not as bad as the Falling apart razors...but it would be a problem.
    10-29-08 02:52 PM
    Well today I played around with the Android G1, and it was a damn site better than I expected. Browsing was Awesome, OS was quick and snappy GUI without any lag or glitches.

I had a 20 min play and damn this thing was VERY stable, unlike the pathetic attempt RIM did with 4.6.0.92 on the BOLD, that was crap.

This is the first OS release of this company and it already gives the Bold a GOOD run for its money. Shows how crap RIM really are.

If RIM don't sort their crap out soon I know I've got a OS to go to !!!

The combination of Rollerball and touchscreen really hits the spot. People do say its ugly, but then some would say it a minimalist approach.

Using the OS seems a bit tedious at first, but this is not a blackberry and has its own way of doing things. There are alot of short cuts that us BB guys don't know about.

Also this is an open source OS that has alot of advantages over other OS's as it gives access to core applications unlike some other companies.

This is v1.0 .......... Whats v5.0 of this thing going to be like ........
    Last edited by Ash_786; 10-30-08 at 07:13 PM.
    10-30-08 07:02 PM
    I also think the design is not something you would think came out from HTC. I hope future version would be sleeker.
    10-31-08 08:01 AM
    this is by far the ugliest hyped phone in the history of phones...
    i phone=understandable
    instict=understandable
    g1= he** NO that thing is so ugly
    i mean could google have picked a better device??
    i mean daaaaang.....
    thats just sad and its not even glossy....
    Last edited by enyahs_shayne09; 10-31-08 at 08:17 AM.
    10-31-08 08:13 AM
    It is ugly as sin, a failure on Googles part. But hey, ugly women need lovin too!
    10-31-08 10:55 AM
    I'm on mine right now and while the browser is amazing, the contacts and calendar are sad - you use your gmail account's contacts! And typing is awkward and takes forever. Camera is slow as well.

Nothing beats my bb!
    10-31-08 12:30 PM
    It is ugly as sin, a failure on Googles part. But hey, ugly women need lovin too!
    actually you can blame htc and possibly tmobile with it being ugly. google made the OS, not the hardware
    10-31-08 04:27 PM
    Well today I played around with the Android G1, and it was a damn site better than I expected. Browsing was Awesome, OS was quick and snappy GUI without any lag or glitches.

I had a 20 min play and damn this thing was VERY stable, unlike the pathetic attempt RIM did with 4.6.0.92 on the BOLD, that was crap.

This is the first OS release of this company and it already gives the Bold a GOOD run for its money. Shows how crap RIM really are.

If RIM don't sort their crap out soon I know I've got a OS to go to !!!

The combination of Rollerball and touchscreen really hits the spot. People do say its ugly, but then some would say it a minimalist approach.

Using the OS seems a bit tedious at first, but this is not a blackberry and has its own way of doing things. There are alot of short cuts that us BB guys don't know about.

Also this is an open source OS that has alot of advantages over other OS's as it gives access to core applications unlike some other companies.

This is v1.0 .......... Whats v5.0 of this thing going to be like ........
    yea it rocks....

IT does not have the RIGHT NOW factor that, WM6.1 or blackberry has.

But i was very impressed with its out of the box feel.

If it was not for that un-changable trackball, i would be a **** of alot more intrested in it.

The LOOK does not bother me, it has a very business like feel and look. It functions and feels sturdy.

I REALLY like its keyboard, and LOVE the fact it has a trackball.

I just wish the trackball could come out to be replaced or cleaned.

Those phones are only a few months from being a MAJOR head-ache , when they are going back for trackball issues.
    11-01-08 09:40 AM
    I played with one the other day and realized, "This thing su*ks"! It was a dummy phone! LOL

I can't say anything about it since my local TMO store had no live ones on hand.

11-01-08 09:51 AM
    I am yet to see one, but for sure a lot more manufacturers will be making anderoid phones. And RIM has to up the game.
    11-01-08 10:55 AM
    I'm tired .... been playing with it for 3 days solid ..... HELP !

(and before you smart arses start .... yes .... with the phone)
    Last edited by Ash_786; 11-03-08 at 06:17 PM.
    11-03-08 05:16 PM
    I'm tired .... been playing with it for 3 days solid ..... HELP !

(and before you smart arses start .... yes .... with the phone)
    what do you need help with?
    11-03-08 07:41 PM
    And not only is it the ugliest phone ever, it wasn't all that impressive either. I hated the keypad, as it was very awkward to use. There is quite a lot of unused space on the device itself.the OS was nice but I found navigation a bit tedious. Maybe its something I have to get used to if I owned it. Anyway, that was my brief encounter with it. Anyone else play with one?

I couldn't agree with you more!

I do like the password feature, that's pretty slick!
    11-05-08 09:04 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD