Could this be the Iphone killer? Could this be the phone unhappy stormers will jump to?

Has Palm been resurrected?

Palm PRE

01-08-09 02:45 PM
    There is no such thing as an iPhone killer
    01-08-09 03:07 PM
    I'm very impressed with the first looks - though still way to early to tell. If they need to get one thing right it's their Web OS. Though they did say that early reports from developers were very positive.
    01-08-09 03:24 PM
    Why must every touch screen phone be an "iphone killer" or "storm killer"? iPhone does what it does, and other phones do what they do. Is the pearl flip a Motorola Razr killer because it's a flip?

Now back on subject that does look like quite an interesting phone. CDMA model at that, wonder which carrier is gonna get this first.
    Last edited by Shao128; 01-08-09 at 03:31 PM.
    01-08-09 03:28 PM
    Why must every touch screen phone be an "iphone killer" or "storm killer"? iPhone does what it does, and other phones do what they do. Is the pearl flip a Motorola Razr killer because it's a flip?

Now back on subject that does look like quite an interesting phone. CDMA model at that, wonder which carrier is gonna get this first.
    The phone will be going to Sprint. FIrst looks at the OS does show some very interesting capabilities. This will raise the bar in expectations of functionality in a smartphone OS. With Exchange support out of the box the corp world will also take a look at this phone.
    01-08-09 03:36 PM
    Palm needs this phone to be a success, or we could very well see Palm fold. From the pictures I have to admit the OS looks amazing. The UI looks clean and graphically pleasing. In all honestly it puts our BB OS to shame (visually).

These are the pictures Im refering to: Engadget
    01-08-09 03:41 PM
    01-08-09 03:44 PM
    Palm needs this phone to be a success, or we could very well see Palm fold. From the pictures I have to admit the OS looks amazing. The UI looks clean and graphically pleasing. In all honestly it puts our BB OS to shame (visually).

These are the pictures Im refering to: Engadget
    I agree the OS is very nice looking. The "CARDS" are very cool. If they work as they say multitasking will be a dream on this phone.
    01-08-09 03:45 PM
    It certainly looks the part, but the info seems vague... But:

Cards - Sony Ericsson are going to be miffed that Palm got this to work after all the fuss that there has been over Panels (which is continually being compared to Touch Flo - incorrectly)

Notifications - look to be well handled

Like the 'inserted' look of the contacts list, and the automatic keyboard search is flashy (but the time saved is too small to get excited over)

Well thought out - but the Bold keyboard looks far better both in terms of appearance and comfort.

Bringing up apps list no matter where you are - nice touch.

Downsides:

WebOS - sounds a bit like Android to me, in that everything could well be online.

What's inside it? Could just be a dumb terminal for all they told us.

Still - well done Palm. Still loving the Storm though.
    01-08-09 03:58 PM
    The phone that could send me back to Palm. I've owned the Treo 650, 700P, and Centro in the past. left the Centro for the Curve which I like, but the Pre looks like a phone I could love.
    01-08-09 05:56 PM
    Just migrated from a Treo 755 to Curve, i missed the simplicity of Palm tremendously, will probably return to Palm when this comes out. I just hope that previous palm software will work on the new Pre.
    01-08-09 06:54 PM
    Maybe this will give Sprint the money they need to erect more towers. For real- the only thing chaining me to a wall on this is the spotty coverage, especially in my area.
    01-08-09 09:32 PM
    In my opinion, this is the phone the Storm should have been - a highly responsive touchscreen slider. However, what's more concerning for RIM is the Pal WebOS. It looks like it could be a game changer. Considering that RIM is well down the path with OS 5.0, will it be able to best this Palm OS, or will RIM have to go back to the drawing board?
    01-08-09 10:31 PM
    In my opinion, this is the phone the Storm should have been - a highly responsive touchscreen slider. However, what's more concerning for RIM is the Pal WebOS. It looks like it could be a game changer. Considering that RIM is well down the path with OS 5.0, will it be able to best this Palm OS, or will RIM have to go back to the drawing board?
    I agree, the storm should have been here. I dont think 5.0 is going to do it for blackberry. I think this is going to have to be the phone i'm moving to...i was going to get the bold for sprint, but now i'm sold on this bad boy...it looks phenomenal.
    01-09-09 12:36 AM
    I gotta say, I would hate typing on that thing... It looks too tall and that when you're typing, a big gust vould knock it out of your hands when you're holding it at the bottom, which is a lot thinner then the rest of the device. But other than that, it looks fantastic
    01-09-09 12:47 AM
    I gotta say, Palm came correct with this device. I'll probably be jumpin ship when this thing drops.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 02:29 AM
    @rootbeer soup
    I am just thinking that some developer out there will probabely come up with an "on screen" keyboard after awhile... Maybe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 09:26 AM
    Newsweek did a write up on it, sounds VERY promising. Sounds like a Storm on steroids:

You've probably never heard of Jon Rubinstein, but in computer-engineering circles, the 52-year-old former Apple engineer is a legend. He helped create two of the most iconic products of the past decade: the original brightly colored egg-shaped iMac, which saved Apple from going out of business, and the iPod, which turned that once-ailing computer maker into the hottest brand in consumer electronics. So in the summer of 2007, when Rubinstein (nickname: Ruby) joined Palm, the beleaguered consumer-electronics company, to develop a new smartphone, people in the industry began paying attention once again to an outfit that most had written off as dead. They also began wondering whether Palm could do what every other phonemaker has tried to do and failed: create a device that could outshine Apple’s iPhone. The result is the Palm Pre which debuts today at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas and will go on sale by the middle of 2009. It embodies Palm's best shot at reclaiming both market- and mind-share.

Rubinstein, Palm's executive chairman, was quick to downplay comparisons when NEWSWEEK met with him at Palm's Sunnyvale, Calif., headquarters in December for a sneak peak at his latest creation. "We're not trying to build an iPhone clone," he said. And though Apple CEO Steve Jobs was furious about Rubinstein's move to Palm, and grew even angrier when he started poaching some of Apple's top talent, Rubinstein insists he's not driven by a desire to upstage his former boss and longtime colleague. "I worked with Steve for 16 years. Now supposedly I'm a traitor. But this has nothing to do with Apple," he says.

Still, over the course of two days, Rubinstein and others at Palm couldn't help pointing out that the Pre outperforms the iPhone. Palm's advantages include faster Web browsing, a better camera, and the ability to run many applications at the same time. Egos being what they are in the Valley, it's easy to believe that despite all the talk about not competing with Apple, these guys do, in fact, secretly harbor the desire to knock Apple firmly on its backside—and that while the marketing guys may have decided, correctly, that it's best not to pick a fight with a bigger, wealthier opponent, the engineers simply can't help talking smack.

At the very least they are praying that Rubinstein can breathe new life into Palm, and that the company can stop its steep decline and hang on long enough for the Pre to make a difference. The stakes could not be higher for a 16-year-old company that boomed in the 1990s thanks to its Palm Pilot personal digital assistant and then boomed again by morphing the Pilot into a smartphone called the Palm Treo. At one time these gizmos were the cutting edge of cool; today, they seem like relics from some dark, distant age, eclipsed by the Research in MotionBlackBerry and the iPhone. Hampered by an aging software platform, Palm has limped along by selling devices that run Microsoft's Windows Mobile software. But revenue is plunging, losses are mounting, and Palm is burning cash. In December Palm had to take a $100 million investment from its private-equity sugar daddy, Elevation Partners, in order to remain afloat.

Nevertheless the mood is upbeat at Palm; though the company has announced layoffs, it is also bringing aboard new talent. Equally upbeat are the people at Elevation Partners, which invested $325 million in Palm in June 2007. Back then Palm was starting to look like high-tech roadkill. But Roger McNamee, the veteran Valley investor who runs Elevation Partners, saw in Palm a company with a well-known brand and well-established carrier relations in a market that he was convinced was about to explode. McNamee came to the deal with a simple thesis: More than a billion cell phones are sold each year, but only about 5 percent are smartphones.

Over the next few years, smartphones will start to make up an ever-bigger slice of the pie, perhaps growing to 50 percent of the market within a decade and becoming the most popular way of accessing the Internet. The mobile-computing space today looks a lot like the early days of the PC market, when it was obvious that PCs were going to be huge but nobody knew who the winners would be and there was loads of growth yet to come. Right now a half-dozen smartphone platforms are competing in the market, but none has gained dominant market share. As McNamee sees it, the market opportunity is so big that Palm can succeed even if Apple and RIM and all the others continue to grow. "Our success is totally independent of what the others do. We would not have invested based on the premise that RIM and Apple would fail. If we get even 1 percent of global market share," he says, "we'll be huge compared to where we are now."

While the iPhone has demonstrated the power of putting a real computer operating system on a mobile device, the iPhone itself is far from perfect. For one thing, the battery life on the new 3G model is abysmal. And while it is cool to be able to browse the Web from a handheld device, the iPhone's Internet experience is nowhere near as good as the experience you get on a laptop or desktop computer. It's much slower; Rubinstein and his team say that's because the OS X code is not lean enough to run swiftly on a mobile device's relatively tiny processor and small memory footprint. And you can only do one thing at a time. To change applications—to go from checking e-mail to making a phone call to putting an appointment in your calendar—you have to keep climbing back to the home page and then down to the other application. Apple introduced OS X for its personal computers in 2001, but pieces of the system trace their roots back to the 1980s, when they were used in the operating software of computers made by Jobs's other computer company, NeXT. Palm sees an opportunity to come out with something newer, better and—perhaps most impressive to gadget geeks—faster. A lot faster. "We're already four times faster than the iPhone, and we're still optimizing," McNamee boasts.

So how good is the Pre? The design of the hardware is wonderful. The phone is smooth and sleek, with rounded edges and a 3.1-inch (diagonal) multitouch screen that lets you pinch and slide objects the way you do on an iPhone. (The iPhone's screen is slightly bigger, at 3.5 inches, diagonal.) There's also a QWERTY keyboard that slides out from underneath. You can make phone calls without ever opening the slider, and in that closed position the phone is 2.3 inches wide, 4 inches long and two thirds of an inch thick. It feels small in your hand, and it's easy to carry in a pocket, weighing just under 5 ounces. Palm hopes the small footprint (and nice touches like a thin leather carrying case) will be appealing to people who have been intimidated by smartphones like the iPhone and the BlackBerry.

Under the hood is a speedy new microprocessor from Texas Instruments that runs videos quickly and smoothly, with less of the herky-jerkiness that mobile devices are known for. The phone has 8 gigabytes of storage, which is decent but not great; it can run Adobe Flash, and can cut, copy and paste, which iPhone can't; it supports multimedia messaging service (MMS) so you can send text messages with photos attached, which iPhone can't do; it has a 3 megapixel camera and a flash, which iPhone lacks. There's a button that lets you buy music from Amazon's download store. Then there's the multitasking. Want to talk on the speakerphone while browsing the Web and entering stuff in your calendar? No problem. Palm expects people will keep 15 to 20 applications open at the same time.

Palm's engineers have done some really slick things with applications themselves, especially contacts and calendars. You can pull together multiple calendars and view them all at once—say, your work calendar, your home calendar, even calendars from other people, like your spouse's Google calendar (your spouse needs to give you the log-on info). The contact manager pulls contact information from multiple sources—Yahoo contacts, Google contacts, Facebook contacts. A listing in your address book can contain every way of reaching that person—via work mail, Gmail, or Facebook mail, for example—and lets you send a message to a friend using any one of these. Also, the applications talk to one another. When the calendar application prompts you for a reminder about a meeting, it also pulls up a list of the people who will be attending, with their contact info. So if you're running late, you can let everyone know.

So: is it an iPhone killer? McNamee wishes people wouldn't ask that question. "Everyone in the cell-phone business has missed the point. They're all trying to make an iPhone killer. I don't want to compete with Apple. Why the **** would you want to get in the way of that machine? I look at the guys who are trying to compete with Apple and I think, Are you guys crazy? I just want to learn from Apple's experience." Nonetheless, the "Will this kill the iPhone?" question is the first one everyone asks about any new high-end mobile phone today. And the answer is, well, probably not. Not because the Pre isn't terrific—it is—but because Apple's brand is so powerful, and because Apple has sold 13 million iPhones, and because there are 10,000 applications already written for the iPhone. Nonetheless the Pre has moved the ball forward in some very significant ways. The experience it delivers is much closer to what we get on a laptop or desktop computer, which is essential if mobile devices are to become the hub of our Internet lives rather than mere peripherals that attach to a personal computer.

Most important, the Pre represents only a first shot. Rubinstein and his engineers are already preparing a family of devices that will run on the Palm Web OS. Could it be that Apple has staked out an early lead with a breakthrough product only to be passed by others? It's happened before. In 1984 Apple introduced its first Macintosh. The machine featured a graphical user interface and was way ahead of its time. But several years later Microsoft copied the idea and created Windows, which gained 90-plus percent of the market while Apple's share lingered in the low single digits. That bit of history may be why Rubinstein seems to be feeling so good these days. "Apple wants everyone to believe that it's game over, and they won," he says. "But I don't think so. I think this is just the beginning."
    Tech: The Palm Pre Takes on Apple's iPhone | Newsweek Daniel Lyons | Techtonic Shifts | Newsweek.com

I could never imagine running 15-20 apps on my Storm...and this thing supports Flash.
    01-09-09 02:02 PM
    HOLY CACA THIS PHONE IS THE SHTI!!!!!!!!!!!!! is any 1 else having doubts about the storm now???? or am i the only 1 telling the truth???
    01-10-09 01:28 AM
    looks nice
    01-10-09 05:07 AM
    HOLY CACA THIS PHONE IS THE SHTI!!!!!!!!!!!!! is any 1 else having doubts about the storm now???? or am i the only 1 telling the truth???
    The Bold is the premier Blackberry, and I for one think that it blows all other smartphones out of the water hardware wise. However, as a former Palm user and current Windows Mobile/Blackberry user, I continue to be disappoint many limitations in the Blackberry OS.
    01-10-09 10:48 AM
    The OS reminded me of Android in some ways. That is bad or good just what it reminded me of. But this looks like its going to be a great device. I probably wont buy it but its nice to see that there is more choices for everyone.
    Last edited by aton.amen; 01-10-09 at 01:33 PM. Reason: .
    01-10-09 01:32 PM
    I wonder when this is coming out & if it's going to be on Telus or not. I don't know if I want to switch from a blackberry to a Palm thouh.
    01-10-09 06:41 PM
    I am growing increasingly wary of tech articles; I've had ampott video playback for about two years now on my N95, before that on a Motorola V3x. I've even got it on my Storm.

The Palm may well be the next big thing, but by the time it comes out, minds may change. Not that long ago, reviewers were claiming that the Xperia had an inferior keyboard to the Touch Pro, having a mere four rows; now everyone is falling over each other to heap praise on the N97, which has a th
    ree row item. The new Palm contains a lot, but it could just as easily end up like Android, plenty of eccentric little applications, but lacking certain aspects that other phones have out of the box. At least the Palm can play videos out of the box.
    01-10-09 07:58 PM
    I must say that has a Storm owner this hurts.

The presentation of the Pre presents no lag at all. The only problem with the phone was the spoke person at the Ces. Seems to me that the phone is ready for some prime time.

I like (not love) my Storm and I will be waiting for the next big O.s (5.0 anyone) but if in 1 year the Storm has not correct some of it's flaws I might go and try the Pre if it comes to Canada.

When I look at the Bold right now I'm pretty impressed because at first it wasn't a reliable device at all. But Rim took the time to correct it.
    01-11-09 09:53 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD